Formula 1...

'Dale

Just now, Patchelicious said:

FIA might be taking the tyre manufacturer restrictions a bit too far now.

also...for a moment i was hinking that 13" brake housing is gloing to look silly in the new 18" wheels but then i remembered that next year we are back to wheel caps like in 2009. the Frisbees that cover the wheels. so you wont see them

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, bertusras said:

Doesn't Lewis already do that?

In baseball they call it a curveball.... 

1 hour ago, Patchelicious said:

FIA might be taking the tyre manufacturer restrictions a bit too far now.

”To save costs and even the playing field, we will be allowing NO tyres for 2022” - Jean Todt 

Hover cars? :P

7 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

With the C5, Lewis will start complaining from his private jet seat already.......

He sold his private jet because it is bad for the environment. But then he leases it from the new owner anyway. He's a real smart one that.

21 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Much can be read into and debated about that, but it’s irrelevant to my position that multiple tyre manufacturers should be allowed, bruv.  

Remember the days when it was Good Year vs Bridgestone

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

He sold his private jet because it is bad for the environment. But then he leases it from the new owner anyway. He's a real smart one that.

Some sort of tax break in leasing, over ownership I would imagine.

5 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

thinking about it now...probably sold it to himself (a shelf company) and rents it from himself haha

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

what year did you race? my cousin raced against the Cronje's brothers etc around 2000. I jouned them in the pits for my year off after school, touring the country. Was super fun. 125 Promo and later GP class. He was SA champion in 2002(if memory serves). Raced Tony Kart. He is(was) 2m tall and 90kg, and although that meant he was racing without any balast on the car, he was still massivly overweight compared to the smaller guys in the class....and we would get protested every race he won because people didnt get how he was beating them haha. Pine town and Umhlanga street races he would lap the entire field haha. Justin, His dad -  Sakkie van Biljon, was a legend of SA oval track racing in the 80s too. 

Awesome man. Van Biljon I remember for sure. 
Karting I raced from 1990 to 2002. Stocks (then renamed High School), Formula 100 & Supers (on/off). 
Mark and Gavin pitted behind us in their first years racing. I know them well still to this day. 
Raced so many chassis over the years. Swiss Hutless, PCR and mostly Tony Kart. 
I’m also tall (188cm) so spent my karting life on diet. (I made up for it in the following decades though!)

It was an awesome time back then. Packed fields and classes and so many karting SA Champs went onto to great Motorsport careers. Travelled the country with my dad, spent every weekend burning Petrol in some form of engine. 

14 minutes ago, WrightJnr said:

Awesome man. Van Biljon I remember for sure. 
Karting I raced from 1990 to 2002. Stocks (then renamed High School), Formula 100 & Supers (on/off). 
Mark and Gavin pitted behind us in their first years racing. I know them well still to this day. 
Raced so many chassis over the years. Swiss Hutless, PCR and mostly Tony Kart. 
I’m also tall (188cm) so spent my karting life on diet. (I made up for it in the following decades though!)

It was an awesome time back then. Packed fields and classes and so many karting SA Champs went onto to great Motorsport careers. Travelled the country with my dad, spent every weekend burning Petrol in some form of engine. 

Good times for sure! Crazy these days though. Heard top guys spend almost a bar a year at the pointy end. Madness. Although it wasnt cheap back then either. I remember a set of maxxis race tires costing about R500 haha. Thats cheap all things 2021 considered. Complete tony kart about R150k or something back then if i recall, and a 125Gp motor about 30k. Justin’s dad raced ‘midgets’ and v8 sprintcars back when kingspark stadium was still a dirt oval track

Edited by MORNE

22 hours ago, MORNE said:

Good times for sure! Crazy these days though. Heard top guys spend almost a bar a year at the pointy end. Madness. Although it wasnt cheap back then either. I remember a set of maxxis race tires costing about R500 haha. Thats cheap all things 2021 considered. Complete tony kart about R150k or something back then if i recall, and a 125Gp motor about 30k. Justin’s dad raced ‘midgets’ and v8 sprintcars back when kingspark stadium was still a dirt oval track

Spoke to the owner of G&A Motorsport recently and he knows for definite, as he was told by this kid's dad, that this dad put R1.5m into a year of karting for his kid. The kid is one of the top racers for sure, and had 4 latest spec kart chassis' running at the time and they change out their tyres probably at least a few times per week if not a lot more than that. Pretty sure they rebuild their engines a lot as well given their budget. Current kart tyres cost around R3600 per set with full engine rebuilds (top and bottom) somewhere around R16k - R18k I believe. I've always wondered why there are always a bunch of engines on the bench at the kart store workshop at Killarney...

There are some seriously wealthy folks out there!