Panorama route : Pothole galore

amoryns

ok so attended the panorama training camp this weekend and feel a little worried at the moment about the route. The road conditions looked very very bad. The stretch on Day1 between komatipoort and sabie is almost unridable as the road in some places look like mole holes.

I would like to know if Fiona and her gang is actually going to let the race go through these areas. There will be a lot of casualties if they dont do something about this.

Day 2 is going to be fast as it will be on the new airport road....very nice!

Hmm - MTB stage for day one, then road stage for day two. Going to be a schlep flying up with two bikes...

I hope there is good news forthcoming. In all honesty for the last three years we have been hearing from race organizers in a nice light hearted manner that the roads have been getting worse. Whilst I am aware that the road condition is not the responsibility of the race organizers in a manner of speaking it is.

Road conditions will start to affect entry levels of this wonderful race and should the roads not be up to standard this year I certainly will not be paying my hard earned cash across next year. Especially since race organizers have known about this problem for the last 3 years and should have consulted with the Nelspruit Roads agency some 1095 Days ago.

I saw some very nasty accidents last year on day 2 due to potholes and this should have been a priority of the organizers a long long time ago, not 1 month before the event - not ayoba at all.

Whilst I am at it let me re-iterate that I am a big supporter of The Panorama Tour as it really is a wonderful experience.

I think it would be appreciated if the race organizers could comment here as to exactly the condition of the roads and what they intend to do about it

• 3 weeks later...

Any news or updates?

Only that they have been doing some work on the Brondal road, but there are still cracks and holes on that stretch. The Kiepersol road has had holes filled in but practice your bunny hopping. This is from my own riding over these roads over the last few weeks, but I tend not to notice because the roads are 100 times better than my usual stamping grounds in Mozambique.

I hope there is good news forthcoming. In all honesty for the last three years we have been hearing from race organizers in a nice light hearted manner that the roads have been getting worse. Whilst I am aware that the road condition is not the responsibility of the race organizers in a manner of speaking it is.

Road conditions will start to affect entry levels of this wonderful race and should the roads not be up to standard this year I certainly will not be paying my hard earned cash across next year. Especially since race organizers have known about this problem for the last 3 years and should have consulted with the Nelspruit Roads agency some 1095 Days ago.

I saw some very nasty accidents last year on day 2 due to potholes and this should have been a priority of the organizers a long long time ago, not 1 month before the event - not ayoba at all.

WTF are you being serious? The roads are paid for by your tax money not your entry fee. The government stole all the tax money and I sincerely doubt Fiona or anyone else can make them fix roads after all the cash has gone to fund tenderpreneurs, etc. It is by no means the responsibility of a race organiser to ensure the government does what it is paid to do...

Another reality check from Intern- you're absolutely right. Lets see how the roads are come the race- but as I said- practice your bunny hopping, not to mention your peripheral vision as you dodge cracks, bumps and holes at 70km/h.

Another reality check from Intern- you're absolutely right. Lets see how the roads are come the race- but as I said- practice your bunny hopping, not to mention your peripheral vision as you dodge cracks, bumps and holes at 70km/h.

People, some of the "holes" are not just cracks.....if one had to fall into one of these you will never be seen alive again. They are really bad. Glad I am not on a tandem going down there

We were going to do the race but have decide not to go anymore. Will not break limbs and bones because the organiser couldn't try and put together a new route.

Good luck for all, Fiona should maybe have sold the entries with an emergency package ;-)

Edited by amoryns

People, some of the "holes" are not just cracks.....if one had to fall into one of these you will never be seen alive again. They are really bad. Glad I am not on a tandem going down there

We were going to do the race but have decide not to go anymore. Will not break limbs and bones because the organiser couldn't try and put together a new route.

Good luck for all, Fiona should maybe have sold the entries with an emergency package ;-)

That's a bit harsh. Firstly holding an organiser responsible for the state of the roads, then assuming she hasn't done anything to change the route. It's not, as some may believe, a trivial matter to simply say 'oh, I want to change the route'. It's a lot more complex than that. And knowing Fiona, one of her priorities is always participant safety....if this were not the case, doubt she would be in business. I am coming up for her, but I think my reasons are fairly sound.

Which is, of course, not to say I have any issue with your decision not to participate. I would make the same decision, but without laying blame at the door of the organiser. It's a bit of a tragedy, all round. Mind you, that's how I feel about SA in general.

That's a bit harsh. Firstly holding an organiser responsible for the state of the roads, then assuming she hasn't done anything to change the route. It's not, as some may believe, a trivial matter to simply say 'oh, I want to change the route'. It's a lot more complex than that. And knowing Fiona, one of her priorities is always participant safety....if this were not the case, doubt she would be in business. I am coming up for her, but I think my reasons are fairly sound.

Which is, of course, not to say I have any issue with your decision not to participate. I would make the same decision, but without laying blame at the door of the organiser. It's a bit of a tragedy, all round. Mind you, that's how I feel about SA in general.

not blaming it on organiser...just saying... :-)