Is this a good buy?

Gareth1982

OK I have gone and found out a bit more on the bikes that I can afford

I have to decide between a Giant, Avolanche, Merida and a titan.

this is what is on offer in my price range and I also have to keep in mind that I need a R1000 to buy the extras.

The Avalanche that I was looking at are ATX 375 and ATX 575 (R2900 and R4600)

then THe Giant was the entry level same specs as the ATX 575 (R4700)

the Merida is the TFS 100 d (R4200)

Titan was the Spark or start or some thing like that but it was exactly the same as the Avolanche ATX375.(R3000)

The main thing I have to keep in mind is that I don't have a big budget and what if I ride 1 race and feel that this is not for me and I never do it again, I will never get a decent price for the bike and I don't want to hang the bike it the Garage and never use it again. My Girlfriend will never forgive me if that had to happen....lol

Edited by Gareth1982

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, than choose between the giant and merida's. its more MTB brands than the other 2.

go to: www.bicycling.co.za

and look at what is available in diff price ranges

I bought myself a Bianchi Doss 5100 from Solomons last year for R4000-00

Alivio Shifters, Deore mechanical disk brakes and deraillers (back and front)

Suntour XCT V1 fork

The fork is not the best in the business but I get by. I have done amongst others the 60km Bulldog MTB race, 2 x Babbas 70km Marathons, and various other races at Teak Place, Avianto and Red Stone etc etc.

Both me and the Bike survived, and we are going to do the Karoo to Coast on the very same bike. Only changes I made are Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, shimano clipless pedals and comfier grips

I will be looking to buy a new bike in a year or so, but until then, this one serves me very well. And yes, it doenst say much, but it happens in races that you pass guys on better and more expensive bikes, and yes it does give me great satisfaction in doing so.

In the end all that matters is that you must ensure the bike fits you and what you want to do/achieve best. What would happen if you buy an expensive mtb and decide a few months downt the line the sport is not for you?

As Me-rider said, be aware of the "hidden costs" as well

BUT, having said all of the above, welcome to the most amazing sport on the planet but be warned, as soon as you hit your first trail, there will be no turning back! :thumbup:

Hydraulic disc brakes is the way to go, after snapping a cable with mechanical disk brakes almost every 2nd month...it gets annoying, and it wears out also...

how can Alivio shifters work with deore rear derailer? As Alivio is 8-speed and Deore is 9-speed?

Bel vir Henlo @ Recycle. 027 2134397. As jy die verkeerde fiets koop en hy ry nie lekker nie gaan jy ook nie verder ry nie. koop eerder n goeie fiets en besluit dan.

Hydraulic disc brakes is the way to go, after snapping a cable with mechanical disk brakes almost every 2nd month...it gets annoying, and it wears out also...

how can Alivio shifters work with deore rear derailer? As Alivio is 8-speed and Deore is 9-speed?

Jy kry 9 spoed Alivio ook. RD maak spoed nie saak nie. Ek het Sram x9 Rd op my 8 spoed.

I know, just think it would be pointless having a 9-speed on a 8-speed casette with 8-speed shifters :)

but if its 9-speed Alivio then cool!

Here is a nother Question I know it is stupid but I have to ask.

what is the differance between race and Leisure I see that is the 2 options on www.bicycling.co.za.

Titan was the Spark or start or some thing like that but it was exactly the same as the Avolanche ATX375.(R3000)

Where can you buy the merida for R4200?

don't have any comment about the bike you're buying, but please be careful not to buy a shite bike now and a nicer one 6 months later, then you'll lose yourself about R2-3k in the process. Borrow a bike until you are sure that you like the sport and then save up properly for your steed until you can buy a bike that you WANT to ride!

Good luck. Be warned: MTB is addictive!!!

just saw the giant talon 3 for R5000

decisions decisions

Scott, Merida, Giant, Schwinn ?????????

Where can you buy the merida for R4200?

It is at the LBS here in Potchefstroom why?

This is just as bad as tring to buy a car.....lol

I have now gone and looked at the Schwinn and at the scott and mongoose....

I thought this would be a easy choice to make but I was wrong it is much more than just a bike, there are so many things to look at.....

thank you guys for all the help and advice so far please keep it comming.

What century are you in? :lol: Don't write anything down, take pics of prices/bikes/components with your phone

Your phone can do that? Mine has a long cable that plugs into a wall?

This is just as bad as tring to buy a car.....lol

I have now gone and looked at the Schwinn and at the scott and mongoose....

I thought this would be a easy choice to make but I was wrong it is much more than just a bike, there are so many things to look at.....

thank you guys for all the help and advice so far please keep it comming.

I know what you mean, there is a lot of choice out there. After a while too much information does not help your decision but just makes it harder! Of the bikes discussed in the thread in 5k range which is probably your budget, (that was mine aswell) I don't think you can go too wrong.

Also there must be a bike there that you saw and really liked the look of? Some bikes just speak to you when you see / ride them.