Would you do the right thing...

MJ the Expat

So you are racing along. Get to the finish in the top 3 - either catagory or overall. But you realise that you did not do the full race distance - lets say the marshall sent you the wrong way so by NO fault of your own you "cheated". Whould you do the right thing and own up?

Would you still do it if you were in 100th position?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are racing along. Get to the finish in the top 3 - either catagory or overall. But you realise that you did not do the full race distance - lets say the marshall sent you the wrong way so by NO fault of your own you "cheated". Whould you do the right thing and own up?

You should know the route that you are riding, and if you are a top competitor, and you don't know the routes... :o

if i were in 100th position, i would at least declare it with my mates that i beat (no-one else would really give a damn). But if were in podium position, then i would declare it with the officials..... that sh#$t will haunt you one day if you dont!!!!

1st. Yup, will do the right thing

100. Who cares about 100th place? Will not go through all the trouble (depending on the field size). If it is a field of say 35,000 where 100th would still be pretty good I'll man up and to the right thing.

Yes, especially if in the top 10.

It is important to study the route before the race. But saying that, i always study the route map, but it happened to me that the Marchall convinced me/us (we were the top 10 of the group) to go strait and then we had to make a U -t turn after 1km realizing we were wrong.

No-one really cares about triavialities like that.

Nuclear reactors in Fukushima.

Libya.

Yemen.

Quakes in China.

Quakes in New Zealand.

England beating us at the Cricket.

I say keep quiet.

If that "sh*t haunts you later on", sit down for a few minutes and it'll go away.

If you are still feeling terrible, and dont know what to do with your time and remorse, transfer some money to the Japanese quake victims relief fund.

Nuff said, I'm off to save the planet.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Edited by FrancoisC

You should know the route that you are riding, and if you are a top competitor, and you don't know the routes... :o

They change the routes every year man! And how would you know the route if you have never ridden it before?

No-one really cares about triavialities like that.

Nuclear reactors in Fukushima.

Libya.

Yemen.

Quakes in China.

Quakes in New Zealand.

England beating us at the Cricket.

I say keep quiet.

If that "sh*t haunts you later on", sit down for a few minutes and it'll go away.

If you are still feeling terrible, and dont know what to do with your time and remorse, transfer some money to the Japanese quake victims relief fund.

Nuff said, I'm off to save the planet.

Good luck with your dilemma.

uhmmm Francois, ever heard of news24.com ? please discuss the above mentioned problems on their threads- you should fit in nicely there!

This however, is a cycling forum- with cycling related topics. It happens to many of us in smaller races (even not so small races- like the Nissan Van Gaalens last year- 5 friends, 4 different distances) that the 20km/40km gets scrambled up.

Gan help met die nuclear reactor as jy so sterk daaroor voel. :P

Yes and No. In that order. (the right answer should be Yes and Yes!)

MMmmm, one dude owns up and gets a DNF. The other short cutters say nothing and get top places and prize money... It doesn't sound right.

The first dude is the good guy and honest. They all should've been dnf'd. Or, everyone should've kept their places.

Perhaps the comm was fast asleep?

If there is money or status connected to your finishing position, and you did not race the correct distance or were given any unfair advantage then you should confess and decline the rewards of the position. The same applies to any competition or financial gain. If you don't deserve it, don't take it. That includes bribes, kickbacks, fancy cars, free meals, quick promotions (just becasue you are sleeping with the boss, does not mean you have earnt the merit bonus or quick promotion).

If there is money or status connected to your finishing position, and you did not race the correct distance or were given any unfair advantage then you should confess and decline the rewards of the position. The same applies to any competition or financial gain. If you don't deserve it, don't take it. That includes bribes, kickbacks, fancy cars, free meals, quick promotions (just becasue you are sleeping with the boss, does not mean you have earnt the merit bonus or quick promotion).

You seriaas ? Do you think sleeping with the bosses wife is something that we want to do ?

Just be honest. Doesn't matter if it's a bike race, or anything else in life. Just be honest.