Garmin sues Bryton for copyright infringement

DawieO

"Garmin accuses Bryton’s products of mimicking the appearance and functionality of Garmin’s popular Edge® cycle computers, resulting in the infringement of Garmin’s design and utility patents."

That's a bit broad and unspecific maybe?

So by the same logic, no two water bottles should look or function in similar ways?

Anyone that's used an HRM would know that the major brands more or less look and functions work in a similar way by the very nature of the product.

When I first saw the other units about a year agot that compares to the 705 and 305 units, first thought was .... hmmm ...

nice copy and paste job, they even look like Garmin's!

Anyway why dont Garmin do something more productive, like bring Google Maps back or sort out some of their software issues!

"We are proud of the intellectual property rights awarded to our innovative products and we have little tolerance for companies that attempt to trade unfairly on those rights,”

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/03/garmin-announces-patent-litigation-.html

Maybe Garmin should climb off their high horse for a second and realise they are going to get hammered by the likes of Bryton because their service sucks, and their products are average, at best. If Bryton can come along and 'copy' your stuff, sell it cheaper, make it work better and make for happier customers... do the maths, Garmin.

Garmin's marketing budgets will keep them in the game, unfortunately, just like Polar.

They do look pretty similar

No, different housing design, the screen layout is different as well and functions are in different areas. If thats grounds for a claim, then the same applies to motoring GPS units like Tom Tom and the rest.

Tenuous at best.

No, different housing design, the screen layout is different as well and functions are in different areas. If thats grounds for a claim, then the same applies to motoring GPS units like Tom Tom and the rest.

Tenuous at best.

Screen layout can be customized, so the data fields can be moved.

These units look very similar to me. I own a Garmin Edge 500. Best and most versatile computer on the market. I would buy a Garmin again and not the copy and paste effort

Best and most versatile computer on the market. I would buy a Garmin again and not the copy and paste effort

I have very mixed feelings about Garmin.

Worst cycling gps I ever owned - Edge 305 (all 4 of them!)

Best cycling gps I ever owned - Edge 500

Will not buy a Garmin gps for the car ever again - once youve had TomTom there is no going back.

Garmin does not have the best software out there and getting them to change anything takes fore... nope it doesnt happen!

Training Center sucks. Garmin Connect sucks since Bing replaced Google Maps, Mapsource can also be pretty crappy dependent on what version you are using.

There are software applications available (some of them free) that is far superior to anything Garmin can dream of.