'Dale

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially since the one that just got beat paid him

3 Million Euros to move teams

Yeah, but its tiny money when you look at the price soccer stars in the English League command for transfers isnt it.?

Just shows how little money cycling actually makes in the big sport spectrums.

I watched it live, if Cancellara was not in that race it would have been dead boring and I reckon a bunch sprint would have been on the cards :-P I also doubt whether wheel sucker Nuyens would have been able to out kick Boonen if they ended up finishing together.

I dont think much of Nuyens as smart as he may have been to suck Cancellara's wheel for 5kms to the line. Nuyens got dropped at every attack during the race, I am surprised he was there to grab Cancellara's wheel on the last attack. I bet he wont be there at he end in Paris-Roubaix :-)

What is also clear is Cancellara's new team is not very strong to support him in the classics. I wonder how much that would influence Paris-Roubaix and Cancellara's tactics. There are some pretty strong classic teams and they nailed down Cancellara.

Gotta say well done to Cancellara and Chavanel who also wheel sucked a great 40km claiming tactics. Either way, he would have gotten 2nd so I am sure he is happy with his result. Actually, in the race with the camera's in the car - Chavanel's director sportif said openly "We want to help Cancellara but he is too strong, too strong!"

Water under the bridge, bring on Paris-Roubaix! I dont have a favorite for Paris-Roubaix but would like to see another classy rider take on Cancellara.

Edited by epoh

What is also clear is Cancellara's new team is not very strong to support him in the classics. I wonder how much that would influence Paris-Roubaix and Cancellara's tactics. There are some pretty strong classic teams and they nailed down Cancellara.

Did he need a team in the classics last year?

Imo Chavanel should have worked with Cancellara, who knows, perhaps he could have had a better shot at winning?

But the team was working for Boonen, and everybody was vary vary scared of Cancellara. My guess is that the same pattern will repeat itself in Roubaix.

I wonder what happened to Hushovd, Hausler & Farrar (supposed classics dream team?)

Imo Chavanel should have worked with Cancellara, who knows, perhaps he could have had a better shot at winning?

But the team was working for Boonen, and everybody was vary vary scared of Cancellara. My guess is that the same pattern will repeat itself in Roubaix.

I wonder what happened to Hushovd, Hausler & Farrar (supposed classics dream team?)

Chavanel also thinks he could have, but that's easy afterwards.

He just spent ages in a breakaway when Cancellara joined him at the front. Cancellara was over-confident and just let Chavanel suck his wheel. If he just went 'up-and-over' he would have shaken him, but he clealry felt confident about dropping him on the climbs. UNfortunately for Cancellara he did not know his own limits (which he met on the Muur) and unfortunately for Chavanel, he also did not know Cancellara's limits otherwise he would have contributed to the breakaway....

...then again, if Chavanel worked in the break, Cancellara could have recovered a bit and then dropped Chavanel and then everyone would have commented on how stupid the Frencman was to work with him!!! It's all so easy in hindsight.

I think Chavanel just got his line wrong in the sprint. If he managed to keep going without braking twice, he would have beaten Nuyens, but he didn't and he therefor didn't win and we now have LOTS to regurgitate! I love this sport

Chavanel also thinks he could have, but that's easy afterwards.

He just spent ages in a breakaway when Cancellara joined him at the front. Cancellara was over-confident and just let Chavanel suck his wheel. If he just went 'up-and-over' he would have shaken him, but he clealry felt confident about dropping him on the climbs. UNfortunately for Cancellara he did not know his own limits (which he met on the Muur) and unfortunately for Chavanel, he also did not know Cancellara's limits otherwise he would have contributed to the breakaway....

...then again, if Chavanel worked in the break, Cancellara could have recovered a bit and then dropped Chavanel and then everyone would have commented on how stupid the Frencman was to work with him!!! It's all so easy in hindsight.

I think Chavanel just got his line wrong in the sprint. If he managed to keep going without braking twice, he would have beaten Nuyens, but he didn't and he therefor didn't win and we now have LOTS to regurgitate! I love this sport

How did your ride go??? Tough??? Give us some feedback please :clap:

How do you know, did you watch it all from the start or only the last 80km like I did? Usually the job of the team mates are finished by then, especially if your team is favourite and have to do all the work at the front. Posthuma crashed out too which cost him vital support in the final, but their job was never to support him near the end.

The same critique is often levelled at Boonen too, but when you are favourite, the other teams let your team work at the front and that depletes it quickly. You think BMC spent a minute at the front during the first 200km? Probably not, so they could spare their guys, but look what it did for them: a great chase to the Muur, but no win. I think Leopard-Trek is stronger than appeared in the final hours on tv

How did your ride go??? Tough??? Give us some feedback please :clap:

Tough on me and my equipment: one broken PowerTap, one broken STI, my mate had a slashed tyre wall, and we all had one fantastic day on the bike! Great weather brought out the crowds (for the short distance), but we still had a blast. Riding cobbles is pure torture and my hands are still stiff two days after the painfull barrage of "kinderkopjes".

Definitely worth it. It was my second go at the 140km route and afterwards I swore I'd never ride it again, but last night I already thought of doing the full 250km route next year! Got to do it once in my life.

Tough on me and my equipment: one broken PowerTap, one broken STI, my mate had a slashed tyre wall, and we all had one fantastic day on the bike! Great weather brought out the crowds (for the short distance), but we still had a blast. Riding cobbles is pure torture and my hands are still stiff two days after the painfull barrage of "kinderkopjes".

Definitely worth it. It was my second go at the 140km route and afterwards I swore I'd never ride it again, but last night I already thought of doing the full 250km route next year! Got to do it once in my life.

Man, that is so awesome. Sounds hectic but also sounds like you had a great time on the bike and thats what keeps you coming back for more! So envious right now, but then again, i will be there next year, watching of course!!! Might need to buy myself a real "hard" bike and think of doing it the following year :unsure: !!

Glad you had a good one and enjoy resting up your wrists.. sure they took a real pounding!

Congrats on the ride :thumbup:

Good analysis WH.

Chavanel probably needed to rest his legs for a while behing Canscellara. If Cancellara went past Chavanel, he may have been brought back and we would have had a bunch sprint. Or perhaps the bunch would have given up and raced for 2nd - interesting race!

Man, that is so awesome. Sounds hectic but also sounds like you had a great time on the bike and thats what keeps you coming back for more! So envious right now, but then again, i will be there next year, watching of course!!! Might need to buy myself a real "hard" bike and think of doing it the following year :unsure: !!

Glad you had a good one and enjoy resting up your wrists.. sure they took a real pounding!

Congrats on the ride :thumbup:

Thanks! My advice would actually be to take a new bike to such a hard race, not your oldest one. The reason is that anything that might be worn out WILL break on the ride. Having a strong, serviced beast is essential as it will be bouncing all over the place and vibrating like it's attached to a jackhammer. Doing it on a mtb is just wrong and even a cyclocross bike is dodgy - this is road racing! I would advise you to get double handlebar tape put on and wear gel- padded gloves. Nothing you've done on a bike, road or mountainbike, can prepare your hands for the punishment ahead. I did it using my normal road tyres, but I think some wide 25mm (or wider tyres) will be on the cards for next time. If there is a next time of course...