Challenge Cape Town 2011

MaddyRich

I've just had a look at the course for Challenge Cape Town - are they serious!?!?

3.8km in ICE cold, shark infested water;

180km around CT over SMITS, CHAPPIES and SUIKEBOSSIE! Thats over 1.5 Argus' with no drafting and

42.2km route over KLOOFNEK!

I mean Ironman P.E., the water is warmish and the terrain is flat, and its insane. This thing is just ridiculous!

CANT WAIT!! :lol:

http://www.challengecapetown.com/

Edited by MaddyRich

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming off your bike and the first thing your legs see is klooknek. eina! probably gonna one of the most picturesque ironmans in the world. :thumbup:

I've just had a look at the course for Challenge Cape Town - are they serious!?!?

3.4km in ICE cold, shark infested water;

180km around CT over SMITS, CHAPPIES and SUIKEBOSSIE! Thats over 1.5 Argus' with no drafting and

I mean Ironman P.E., the water is warmish and the terrain is flat, and its insane. This thing is just ridiculous!

firstly the water is not ice cold. in fact it is at least 14 degrees warmer than that

secondly sharks are not such an issue if you haven't watched Jaws, especially not on the atlantic side.

thirdly 180km is not that far. if you are scared of those three monster hills then you probably shouldn't be looking at this race.

fourthly, kloofnek ain't that high, after that it's pancake flat on the promenade doing..laps

now if you mentioned the fact that the course takes you along baden powell drive and is some sort of 'rolling road closure', then you're more than welcome to wonder what the hell these people are thinking. I look forward to their interpretation of a 'safe' bike route. an early season south easter would be quite interesting too.

Wow,this is going to be a tough race.

I thought the Gordans Bay Ironman years back was hard but crikey this thing is a killer :thumbup:

I would be keen to do it in a relay. And do the Bike and hammer it like MAD! Gotta find a team!!!

I would be keen to do it in a relay. And do the Bike and hammer it like MAD! Gotta find a team!!!

:lol: you will find a million guys here that are willing to do the bike leg ... you need to start looking at runnersworld ... or sports illustrated swimwear ;)

firstly the water is not ice cold. in fact it is at least 14 degrees warmer than that

secondly sharks are not such an issue if you haven't watched Jaws, especially not on the atlantic side.

thirdly 180km is not that far. if you are scared of those three monster hills then you probably shouldn't be looking at this race.

fourthly, kloofnek ain't that high, after that it's pancake flat on the promenade doing..laps

now if you mentioned the fact that the course takes you along baden powell drive and is some sort of 'rolling road closure', then you're more than welcome to wonder what the hell these people are thinking. I look forward to their interpretation of a 'safe' bike route. an early season south easter would be quite interesting too.

14 degres is technicly not 'ice cold' but too me that is ice cold. Half Ironman in East london was about 14 degrees( i think) and that was dam cold

anyone have any advice on how many months training this would require. I'd like to do Ironman eventually but this is local and more accessible to me. I'm a highly competent swimmer and cyclist. Its the running that would need most of the attention as I'm not used to the distance.

anyone have any advice on how many months training this would require. I'd like to do Ironman eventually but this is local and more accessible to me. I'm a highly competent swimmer and cyclist. Its the running that would need most of the attention as I'm not used to the distance.

Six months will get you to the finish but this race will be hard.

What's the longest tri you have done?

Thanks Tankman,

I am thinking I might have a team going, just need to work out the logistics and finances.

Six months will get you to the finish but this race will be hard.

What's the longest tri you have done?

Unfortunately I haven't taken part in any major triathlons and those I have done were fairly short. I swam competitively at school but for the last few years have just been cycling. My endurance in cycling has been excellent and I've ridden some strong double centuries.

The thing is I'd like to attempt an event like this when I still have time (I'm a student) and before the rest of life takes over.

3.4km in ICE cold, shark infested water;

I gave it a serious consideraation for about 5 minutes.. Then I realized I'm not getting paid to do that, and I dont have to, So Im not, haha.

I think the worst part might be the cycle, If they get a day of southeast the okes are going to **** bricks all the way out to michels plain.. No drafting, no bunches..the okes wont even be able to stay upright In the TT position ! Thats the elements.. Other problem, Michell's plain stretch.. safe?

Appart from that, Lovely race I think..

A bit like Nice.. Is it nice? the one with the Mountain stages in the bike.

Edited by Bos