Tech skill @ MTN PARK

AIRMAVRICK

Hey Guys,

So I went cycling at the MTN park on Saturday and the new routes at the top of the hill after going under the highway is pretty awesome.

I just need some advice here. I think the name of the route is zombie. Which is the blue route which puts on the huge hill after going under the highway.. I love the route except for this relly steep hill You have some nice corners some hills, which I keep right on the edge of the burms to get drive for the hills but, there is a steep long hill which I always get 3/4 up... (HOW DO I GET UP THIS) I have attempted it about 10 times and I just cant get up it, I have stood, pedalled a high cadence. Im just not getting it. The rest of the route is fine!!1

ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

So I went cycling at the MTN park on Saturday and the new routes at the top of the hill after going under the highway is pretty awesome.

I just need some advice here. I think the name of the route is zombie. Which is the blue route which puts on the huge hill after going under the highway.. I love the route except for this relly steep hill You have some nice corners some hills, which I keep right on the edge of the burms to get drive for the hills but, there is a steep long hill which I always get 3/4 up... (HOW DO I GET UP THIS) I have attempted it about 10 times and I just cant get up it, I have stood, pedalled a high cadence. Im just not getting it. The rest of the route is fine!!1

ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IT

Hey, AIRMAVRICK

You, have me worried, dude. If you, cant GET UP IT, doez that mean, you are still stuk at the, bottom?

If so, reply, we will sent out a POSSE. Or a singlespeed get, one of those. Stand up and crank, those bars. That will get you, out of the whole.

GOOD LUCK. Sounds awsum though! :thumbup:

Or a singlespeed get, one of those. Stand up and crank, those bars. That will get you, out of the whole.

GOOD LUCK. Sounds awsum though! :thumbup:

If it's the steep section I'm thinking off, standing up won't help at all. The surface is hard-packed and gritty, so traction is a hassle. Have failed a coupla times, but eventually you'll find the right gear and cadence to make it.

Attack the incline like you want to get OVER it, not just UP it. Attitude makes a big difference. You need to pedal hard from the berm at the base and stay seated. Select a gear that's not too easy. Power climbs are just that - power climbs... Good luck!

Thats it, Im going today to see if I can get up it..

Thanks for the advice, just going to have to cycle even harder!!

It kinda depends on the day... some days the surface is more loose than others. It also helps if you can rail that berm fast and hard to carry momentum.

I've made it up on my DH and FR bike. Saying that though, I've only done it once on each to prove to myself that i can. Every other time I walk it, cos I don't feel it's worth the energy required to ride up there.

Thats it, Im going today to see if I can get up it..

Thanks for the advice, just going to have to cycle even harder!!

hmmm.. I may see you there today! I'll be on a little blue morewood

hmmm.. I may see you there today! I'll be on a little blue morewood

This weather is turning for the worst, hope we it holds up or I have to go run!!!! :angry:

They close at 7 on a tuesday?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guy,

Novice MTB biker here.

I went MTN bike park yesterday and found it really tough...

How do you keep traction when going up those wooden bridge? I tried seated but my front wheel lifted up... if i stand and pedal the back wheel keep slipping...

Ah.. plenty of skills to pick up...

granny isn't allways the best gear to go steep... sometimes the second or third easiest gear is better, even ons steep hills because you have more momentum. Sometimes you can even gooi your middle chainring on not-as-steep rocky terrain, but for those Zombie hills i'd stick to the small chainring.

You also have better balance when you go faster, which makes that you don't moer over sideways when you're 95% up the climb and lose a bit of leg speed.

my 2c

Hey guy,

Novice MTB biker here.

I went MTN bike park yesterday and found it really tough...

How do you keep traction when going up those wooden bridge? I tried seated but my front wheel lifted up... if i stand and pedal the back wheel keep slipping...

Ah.. plenty of skills to pick up...

hahaha @ BigBen!

But yeah... Chee Kong, when you say "going up those wooden bridges", I'm guessing you're talking about the big ones on 'Roller Coaster'?

If so, I find the best way up them is as mentioned by rudi-h. Speed and momentum. Each of those has enough trail beforehand to pedal hard and practically coast up. Two or three pedal strokes may be needed on the incline itself... at most... but due to the gear selected and momentum, lifting or slipping won't be an issue at all.

I'd estimate that I probably hit each of those at 25-30kph. and use a combination of brakes and the decceleration of the incline to just get me over the top and freewhel back down.

The last thing one wants is to be pottering about in granny gear, wobbling from side-to-side, as one climbs those. The last guy I saw fall off one of them ended up with a broken tibia :blink:

hahaha @ BigBen!

But yeah... Chee Kong, when you say "going up those wooden bridges", I'm guessing you're talking about the big ones on 'Roller Coaster'?

If so, I find the best way up them is as mentioned by rudi-h. Speed and momentum. Each of those has enough trail beforehand to pedal hard and practically coast up. Two or three pedal strokes may be needed on the incline itself... at most... but due to the gear selected and momentum, lifting or slipping won't be an issue at all.

I'd estimate that I probably hit each of those at 25-30kph. and use a combination of brakes and the decceleration of the incline to just get me over the top and freewhel back down.

The last thing one wants is to be pottering about in granny gear, wobbling from side-to-side, as one climbs those. The last guy I saw fall off one of them ended up with a broken tibia :blink:

What time where you there yesterday, I was there to..

The rain has made the park very interesting. The only way to hit those bridges is with pace and commitment, never think you going to fall and look ahead not at your front wheel! also all of them have a nice bend before them to create some momnetum. I hit them also at about 20-25km/h.(I stay in my middle chainring)

The original thread I posted was about Zombie and I can officailly say I have claimed that hill!!!! I even jumped off and had a personal celebration :clap:

Did you go have look after going under the highway?

Haha, I don't dare to try the big one yet!

I just tested some of the wooden bridge near the start and climbing out of tunnel under the highway. Those enough to make me almost fell off. :blush:

I was there around 4.50pm, going around on those green.. tried some wetland, than scared off when i tried the intermediate trail over the highway. (not the zombie, is the one beside main road, keep up and down...). Just got my cleat shoe as well, 1st time using cleat shoe on climbing is kind of horrible, lost momentum and could not use leg to keep balance....

Have to fight off some fear factor....

I miss the bridge of dead on angel grinder.

You could really stick your chest out if you made it through with out putting a foot down.

Edited by Thumper