Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Also went of the route at some stage after the Red and Yellow route split. Tried to follow the Red route, but missed some markers. Also went past a house with a HUGE Boerboel outside. Luckily we (there were 4 of us) went past so fast he did not have time to iniate a chase. We linked up with the route a short while later. Did about two km on a tar road before turning right onto the route.

All in all, not bad for a first time "mass ride"

:clap: :clap:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hellwarp and the rest of the team!!

Job well done guys/girls! A great thank you to all of the people that is involved in this project. We had a great time on the trails this morning. Started just after 8:00 at Middelvlei but our group quickly split after a one of us punctured. Enjoyed a very leisurely ride as we were a group with varied experience and fitness levels. Gave me some time to enjoy some of the beautiful scenery.

Great to have another option to ride close to Stellenbosch.

PS. One of the riders in our group had a fall, so we couldn't complete the full red route, will be back!

Edited by Chain-L

Anyone want to write a bit on the type of riding , hows the single track etc :D Will try it out a wee bit later.

PS Hellwarp u didn't play AA did u?

Sheesh now you going back a few years ...... I did but under -=69th=-GRiM.

I take it you ex XSHOCK LEET ?

I'll leave the details to the guys who rode today, it wasn't easy ...

Edited by Hellwarp

Sheesh now you going back a few years ...... I did but under -=69th=-GRiM.

I take it you ex XSHOCK LEET ?

I'll leave the details to the guys who rode today, it wasn't easy ...

NOoooooooooooooi dont belive it Yip its me How u doing Grim??

:clap:

Our group accidently became separated from the main bunch as a result of waiting for a rider feeling unwell and puncture repairs. We somehow missed a direction arrow and were about to do the yellow loop for the second time when Hubber “Mountain Lion” came to our aid and pointed us in the right direction. At this stage we were running out of water (some out energy) and we were about to use the phone's GPS to find our way back to the car park. Thanks a stack again to "Mountain Lion". We kinda interrupted your planned ride for the day. Sorry

No problem, glad I could help.

My intention for the day was just to roam around the route on the Devonvalley side and see if people were managing OK.

Had to point Homer in the right direction too on the yellow route where you turn of the brick paved road to cross the dam wall; only candy tape there at present; sign is obviously still to be put up.

I encountered several groups without permits and had a friendly chat to them.

Most said they had seen the signs, but did not know where to buy permits, while one group claimed that they knew nothing about the trail or permits.

The notices posted along the trail does mention clearly that you need a permit, but does not list the permit sale points. Perhaps this should be added.

Everybody I encountered were willing to buy permits if only they knew where.

As Karakoram and party discovered, the yellow loop is indeed a loop. You need to exit it somewhere else you will continue in a never ending circle...

Coming from the Bottelary side, this is problematic at present if you don't want to do the whole red route. You need to follow the red route in reverse to get back if you decide you have had enough after the doing the yellow.

I also met a couple on the red route. They had started from Middelvlei, did the yellow and then continued up the climb on the red.

Top of the hill they decided that they did not want to go all the way round on the red.

Only option then is to turn back and go against the flow (if you don't know the area... :whistling: ).

I have some ideas for future route improvements.

Not sure if my ideas are in line with what the landowners want though.

Hellwarp, we need to meet for a chat.

In general well done to Hellwarp, Dirtman and their team.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by mountain_lion

just came back from a ride, really enjoyed it, did the green route and got quite abit of climbing for such a short route

Hi all

The Yellow Loop

Before the "dam wall crossing" there's a right turn at the plum orchard with two roads running parallel, one a brick road the other jeep tack. This turn was marked but some folks took the jeep track instead of the brick road, which is understandable. We've moved the marker to rule out any confusion.

The route marker that went "missing" on the turn immediately after the one mentioned above has been found. Lying in the grass at the side of the trail, still attached to the pole to which it was nailed. Anyones guess ...

This marker indicates a left turn at the end of the orchard which leads to the dam wall crossing. Some of you would be familiar with the spot because you may have spent some time there trying to figure out the route.

The Red Route

450m after the point where the Green Loop rejoins the Red Route there's an old fence and one has to cross over a "middelmannetjie" to continue along the opposite side of the fence. Instead of crossing over some folks went left and lost the trail. This crossing over point has also been made more obvious with route markers and some temporary danger tape, so should be sorted.

If you get lost, please let us know where on the trail so we can attend to it. I know that sounds ambiguous (how do you know where on the trail it was if you were lost?) but if you figured it out and know where the problem lies then please inform us.

info@bottelarymtb.co.za

We apologise for the frustration you would have gone through if you got lost, the heat on the day couldn't have helped matters either.

Sorry but getting lost is so much fun.

Out of interest, what if people went exploring along the jeep tracks... is it forbidden as it seems the whole place is a trail?

You guys are doing a fantastic job and I can see myself doing this trail every second month ( sounds like a long time but even my favorite trals see me that often with all the events and other trails to choose from)

If you get lost, please let us know where on the trail so we can attend to it. I know that sounds ambiguous (how do you know where on the trail it was if you were lost?) but if you figured it out and know where the problem lies then please inform us.

info@bottelarymtb.co.za

We apologise for the frustration you would have gone through if you got lost, the heat on the day couldn't have helped matters either.

Suggestion: How about making GPX files of the routes available for download on the website. The routes can then be imported into a GPS or Google Maps on a smart phone. Riders will be able to verify their progress and directions when in doubt. The current set of online maps are images only and not interactive in the sense that they are not zoomable nor provide a track export facility.

Edited by Karakoram

My feedback for the weekend's riding is all good. As Mountain Lion said, we met up on the Yellow Loop on Saturday, whilst looking for the missing turn marker near the dam. Hving ridden these areas before, it was not a question of being lost, we just did not want to stray off the marked track...anyhow, ML pointed out the right way and it was all good. We had a very leisurely ride on Saturday, made even more leisurely by a plethora of punctures. :thumbdown:

We met three ladies at the exit point of the Yellow Loop-Middelvlei link onto the Devon Valley road wanting to know if this was the Bottelary road...they missed a turnoff somewhere. If you are coming down the brick road near the end of the Yellow Loop at speed you could quite easily miss the turn back into the farm and end up going towards Middelvlei.

Yesterday late afternoon I did the Middelvlei/Yellow loop ride (from home), and it was quite just amazing; the views in the late afternoon sunlight were just great. Near the top (highest point) of the loop you get this panoramic view of Stellenbosch against the backdrop of the surrounding mountains, and barely 1 km later you exit a section between a vineyard on one side and an orchard on the other to be treated to a great view of the plains past Klipheuwel and surroundings. Oh and the missing marker at the dam was now in place. :thumbup:

I am sure there will be some teething problems, but these will surely be sorted in due course.

Once again, a big thank you for all hard work that has gone into setting up these trails for us to enjoy! :clap:

Sorry but getting lost is so much fun.

Out of interest, what if people went exploring along the jeep tracks... is it forbidden as it seems the whole place is a trail?

You guys are doing a fantastic job and I can see myself doing this trail every second month ( sounds like a long time but even my favorite trals see me that often with all the events and other trails to choose from)

Riding on any other roads other than the marked trails is strictly forbidden, so under no circumstances is anyone allowed to stray off the marked routes. Remember this is not public space, its private land.

Here are the Trail Rules : http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=682

Suggestion: How about making GPX files of the routes available for download on the website. The routes can then be imported into a GPS or Google Maps on a smart phone. Riders will be able to verify their progress and directions when in doubt. The current set of online maps are images only and not interactive in the sense that they are not zoomable nor provide a track export facility.

We are definately looking into this, will make the files available via the Bottelary Hills MTB Website. We just need someone to gather the data for us. Any volunteers? :)

Hi just wanted to say I checked out the trails on Saturday and enjoyed it a lot. Even though it was jeeptrack I thought the sights and scenery was really spectacular.

One thing I want to mention though is that its quite easy to take too little water on this ride and maybe people should be made aware that this ride requires at least 2 liters of water.

If some singletrack is going to be built on the route it would be great, please keep us updated :) I checked out some of the guys riding their MX bikes down a really steep track on Saturday and it looked like a lot of fun. Can I perhaps ask if the guys that have a bit longer travel bikes be allowed to do this route as well? Looks like it is currently marked as a hiking trail aswell so dont want to upset anyone by doing it if it's not officially allowed.

Anyway thanks for putting in the effort I'm sure a lot of work goes into planning something like this :D

Another question, his is a conservancy right? Where is the conservation as it looks like the vineyards are all over. What kind of animals can we expect to see?

Would there be consideration to do an organised night ride one evening? (I want to see a porcupine and they are nocturnal creatures)

Edited by Nobody