Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Hi just wanted to say I checked out the trails on Saturday and enjoyed it a lot. Even though it was jeeptrack I thought the sights and scenery was really spectacular.

One thing I want to mention though is that its quite easy to take too little water on this ride and maybe people should be made aware that this ride requires at least 2 liters of water.

If some singletrack is going to be built on the route it would be great, please keep us updated :) I checked out some of the guys riding their MX bikes down a really steep track on Saturday and it looked like a lot of fun. Can I perhaps ask if the guys that have a bit longer travel bikes be allowed to do this route as well? Looks like it is currently marked as a hiking trail aswell so dont want to upset anyone by doing it if it's not officially allowed.

Anyway thanks for putting in the effort I'm sure a lot of work goes into planning something like this :D

We not looking to cater for any "extreme downhill" route. The MX bikes you saw ride on one of the landowners property, he himself is a MX rider and they have organised rides there.

Edited by Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question, his is a conservancy right? Where is the conservation as it looks like the vineyards are all over. What kind of animals can we expect to see?

Would there be consideration to do an organised night ride one evening? (I want to see a porcupine and they are nocturnal creatures)

The entire area is part of the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy. The conservancy runs the trails and all funds go to the conservancy for conservation projects in the area, at this stage mainly alien clearing. All the bits and pieces together with the larger Renosterveld areas are being conserved. The combined Renosterveld area alone is 900 ha. That said the entire area, icluding the vineyards makes up the conservancy, its about conserving the winelands "culture" and natural heritage as well.

Night rides haven't been discussed officially yet and at this stage NO NIGHT RIDING is allowed. Just about all of the larger mammals are nocturnal and we don't want to disturd them.

Larger mammals you may see include Caracal, Steenbok, Duiker, Cape Grysbok, Small spotted genet, Porcupines, Cape fox, Bat eared fox, Cape scrub hare, Large and small grey mongoose.

For more info visit: http://www.bottelaryconservancy.co.za/index.html

Edited by Hellwarp

We not looking to cater for any "extreme downhill" route. The MX bikes you saw ride on one of the landowners property, he himself is a MX rider and they have organised rides there.

Ok no problem man glad I asked first.

When we did the green route there is a piece of single track going through the trees we noticed someone staying there, you should maybe have a look or notify the farmer

A few friends and I started yesterday with the Green loop and so we ended up doing the Red one as well. Definitely had way to little water for the time that we were there.

I must add, it's an amazing ride already with some very nice views from the top. It makes it worth it to do all those climbs. Can do with some more ST on a later stage.

Thanks guys.

When we did the green route there is a piece of single track going through the trees we noticed someone staying there, you should maybe have a look or notify the farmer

Thanks for the info - structure removed by the farmer today - will keep a lookout the next few days

Thanks for the info - structure removed by the farmer today - will keep a lookout the next few days

Hopefully this has shown farmers even only just the one affected the security value of having MTBers on their property.

To give riders from the Stellenbosch start some more options for a quick 2 hour ride or so without having to go over the top of the hill and back via the red route, we will open up a purple loop as well (it is more of a link between two sections of the red route)

We hope to have signage up before easter, but no guarantees. Those of you who know the area, are welcome to start riding this loop in the meantime.

post-4890-0-83438800-1302867487.jpg

We hope to have signage up before easter, but no guarantees. Those of you who know the area, are welcome to start riding this loop in the meantime.

Dirtman this is a great idea, especially with winter approaching and light failing quite rapidly to get in a decent ride after work.

My feeling is that the biggest challenge to the success of the route is the clear communication of the route information to those nav-challenged and unfamiliar with the area, such as I. Instead of the map image boldly claiming: "You are here", please call a spade a spade and give the starting point a place-name that I can actually locate. My guess it is referring to Middelvlei?

Route communication by means of maps and signage on the trail should be frequent and unambiguous. Riders must clearly see and understand which turn to take. A wrong turn and a puncture or two could leave one out in failing light. Maybe a small reflector patch on the route markers could also help riders locate direction signage in failing light. Hopefully the rider is prepared and packs some form of bike light.

please call a spade a spade and give the starting point a place-name that I can actually locate. My guess it is referring to Middelvlei?

Yep, it is Middelvlei. I just pasted a copy of the map that will be put up at the start at Middelvlei - therefore the name is not there, as you will be standing at the start at Middelvlei when reading the map.

However, the maps on the website will be changed to indicate the names of the starting points - so thanks for the feedback.

Howzit guys

We've moved a sign on the "GREEN" loop so that riders can access the singletrack on the southern side of the hills without having to do the RED route.

There's a sign along the GREEN loop which gives you the option to take a right and circle back to Hazendal via the GREEN loop. This sign has been moved further along to roughly 250M before the GREEN loop joins the RED route. This point is at the foot of the last climb before the GREEN loop joins the RED route. Take a right here and another right to circle back via the singletrack and eventually all the way back to Hazendal via the GREEN loop. The route markers are in place.

This will be great for guys starting from Hazendal.

post-19597-0-93539600-1302881038.jpg

Edited by Hellwarp

To give riders from the Stellenbosch start some more options for a quick 2 hour ride or so without having to go over the top of the hill and back via the red route, we will open up a purple loop as well (it is more of a link between two sections of the red route)

Thanks for that.

I had the same in mind, in fact I think it is roughly the route we used for the medium route on the Stellenbosch Wes ride.

We just included that drop through the ditch just before joining the red route. Perhaps consider this as an alternative for those who prefer something less smooth?

I.e. instead of turning 90° right to go down as you have the purple now, continue straight (over the farm boundary; there is a ridable gap there) along the top of the vineyard. The adventurous can then turn left to drop through the ditch and turn right at the exit to join the red route, with an easy alternative chicken run straight down to the red for others.

If this is not clear, I can send a Google map.

Or... :devil: how about considering the single track which runs parallel to the purple route???

I know that sections of it is also used by the motor bikes (conflict) and it is on a different farm, but it was actually built by MTBers. Any chance for that to be used as an alternative?

Only needs a little bit of pruning and some minor repair work to be done at the rocky section...

Edited by mountain_lion

Would be nice to enable riders starting from Only One restaurant to do the yellow and then return without doing all of the red in a similar way.

I suggest a return route from the most northern point on the yellow straight down along the Hartenberg fence. Easy but fun down hill run. There is a ditch to cross between the trees before heading down hill. We built a light weight bridge over it for the Stellenbosch Wes ride. This bridge lasted more than a year before the motor bikes broke it. Just needs two study pallets to fix.

To avoid doing a section of the yellow loop twice before returning to Only One, just link straight to the yellow after topping out the climb on the red. By configuring this as a figure 8 loop it also adds another option from the Stellenbosch side, plus it will enable riders to return to Only One without doing the yellow at all.

I am busy tomorrow (Saturday) but if you need help putting up signs etc between now and easter, you have my contact details.

Edited by mountain_lion

Thanks for that.

I had the same in mind, in fact I think it is roughly the route we used for the medium route on the Stellenbosch Wes ride.

We just included that drop through the ditch just before joining the red route. Perhaps consider this as an alternative for those who prefer something less smooth?

I.e. instead of turning 90° right to go down as you have the purple now, continue straight (over the farm boundary; there is a ridable gap there) along the top of the vineyard. The adventurous can then turn left to drop through the ditch and turn right at the exit to join the red route, with an easy alternative chicken run straight down to the red for others.

If this is not clear, I can send a Google map.

Or... :devil: how about considering the single track which runs parallel to the purple route???

I know that sections of it is also used by the motor bikes (conflict) and it is on a different farm, but it was actually built by MTBers. Any chance for that to be used as an alternative?

Only needs a little bit of pruning and some minor repair work to be done at the rocky section...

Howzit Mountain Lion

We looked at the ditch you referring to but left it out because with traffic in winter it has the potential to become a complete mud bog. We don't want to cross the boundary to the other farm because that section has too much camber and loose rock. We also have the MX bikes riding there, we don't want to ride the same routes they do and end up having to maintain them. The single track parallel to and where the purple ends .... once again MX bikes become an issue.

Believe me when I say we have taken a good look at the area and all things considered,(land access, rideability, maintenance, erosion, landowner preference, flow, elevation change, cost etc) we have made the most of our options.

Forward us a google map with your suggestions and we will have a look at it but whether we can implement any of it will depend on a multitude of factors.