Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Thanks Helwarp

I am sure you had a good look, but too much camber??? :huh:

You are correct about the MX bikes causing lots of damage, so it is better to avoid what they use; just feels wrong to be "bullied" by the MXers off a track built by MTBers...

That ditch does not get too bad in winter (but the MX bikes do use it).

The section on the yellow route going up next to the stream on Wolwedans does turn into a complete bog in winter though...

Edited by mountain_lion

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to show the bigger picture.

The Green line indicates the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy boundaries. The red lines enclose the larger remaining areas of Renosterveld. There are many smaller bits and pieces of equal importance to the biodiversity of the area.

If you study the area on Google earth you will notice areas will little alien vegetation (cleared over the past 10 years) and heavily invested areas which will take many years to rehabilitate.

post-19597-0-92241300-1302894908.jpg

We did the 30km variation on the red and yellow route today. The ride was good but what was brilliant was our burger at "The Only One" restaurant afterwards. It's not often that I get to rave about stunning quality food at such reasonable prices. Think we'll have to ride earlier next time to try out the breakfast!

Hey guys

Replaced a missing route marker on the link between Hazendal and the GREEN loop this morning. Great to see so many riders on route.

There were however a few without permits. Our view is that if you know about the new trails then you know that you need to aquire a day or annual permit.

If you not sure where to buy a permit then go visit our website, all the info you require is available there http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/

The success of the trails is going to depend largely upon two things:

1. riders must stay on the marked trails

2. riders must carry a valid day or annual permit.

If you encounter someone along the trails without a permit then explain to them in a friendly manner that they require a permit to ride.

Will help if you list the pay points to buy permits at along side the signs which indicating that a permit is required.

Not all riders are Hubbers; some do not even frequent the internet...

Did the route on Saturday for the first time. Entered at Middelvlei and what a joy. Except that first monster climb from the dam at the start of the yellow route :(

Think you guys have done a brilliant job and that this will become very popular! :clap:

Did the route on Saturday for the first time. Entered at Middelvlei and what a joy. Except that first monster climb from the dam at the start of the yellow route :(

Think you guys have done a brilliant job and that this will become very popular! :clap:

You had a choice of an easier alternative... :)

Glad Hellwarp and co. could arrange that.

Hey guys

Replaced a missing route marker on the link between Hazendal and the GREEN loop this morning. Great to see so many riders on route.

There were however a few without permits. Our view is that if you know about the new trails then you know that you need to aquire a day or annual permit.

If you not sure where to buy a permit then go visit our website, all the info you require is available there http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/

The success of the trails is going to depend largely upon two things:

1. riders must stay on the marked trails

2. riders must carry a valid day or annual permit.

If you encounter someone along the trails without a permit then explain to them in a friendly manner that they require a permit to ride.

I seen loads of people coming from that side of Bottelary on the farms long before this trails were started...always when I road cycle past they come from there, don't you think its a bit unfair they have to pay now as they been using those farms long before? Same as I won't join Tygerberg MTB to cycle at Magic Forest cause I been going there since I was 11....*don't attack me, just a question*

I seen loads of people coming from that side of Bottelary on the farms long before this trails were started...always when I road cycle past they come from there, don't you think its a bit unfair they have to pay now as they been using those farms long before? Same as I won't join Tygerberg MTB to cycle at Magic Forest cause I been going there since I was 11....*don't attack me, just a question*

My understanding is that they never used the farms with permission but if they do have permission from the farmer/s, then they have permission to roam the land off the route.

are we talking about farm workers or guys training on their mtbs?

Farm workers commuting i could see making an exception to.

Locals who've always been riding must now pay, they've been freeloading for ages - well done for them. It's private land and now the trail has been formalised - the annual permit is not much anyway.

As Mountain Lion stated, there is an easy option - at the bottom of the climb there is a big sign (A4 size) giving you the option of going straight up the climb, or turn right for a much easier and flatter option - just look out for it next time.

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the ride.

are we talking about farm workers or guys training on their mtbs?

Farm workers commuting i could see making an exception to.

Locals who've always been riding must now pay, they've been freeloading for ages - well done for them. It's private land and now the trail has been formalised - the annual permit is not much anyway.

Farmworkers with R30k+ bikes....then clearly I am in the wrong profession....no I am not talking of farm workers otherwise I would have said so....MTBikers coming from down there...

(hijack on) I think you are inviting an attack re your comment of not joining Tygerberg MTB to cycle in Majik - who do you think will maintain Majik if all riders have this attitude? As soos as it rains, Tygerberg will spent another few thousand rand on maintenance in Majik. You are basically freeloading on the paying members. The only reason you are able to legally ride in Majik is because of an agreement between Tygerberg MTB and the City council. (hijack off)

As Mountain Lion stated, there is an easy option - at the bottom of the climb there is a big sign (A4 size) giving you the option of going straight up the climb, or turn right for a much easier and flatter option - just look out for it next time.

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the ride.

It was noticeable that there are far fewer bicycle tyre tracks going up the steep (difficult) option than most of the rest of the route. I noticed that when walking up there the only time I tried that option... :blush:

I was not able to ride there this weekend. On Friday I was bitten by a spider. I waited all weekend for my superpowers to appear, but nothing happened. So I'll ride the Yellow/Purple option this afternoon as a mere mortal.

Edited by HomerSimpson

All those people you saw were either trespassing or had permission form 1 or 2 landowners. With the formation of the trails all prior permission/arrangements with landowners falls away and everyone has to buy a day/annual permit to ride.

I think its more unfair to expect some people to pay while other get to ride for free just because they've ridden there before. Who did and who didn't ride there ..... were they trespassing or did they have permission? I think its clear why we have taken the decision we have.

Take note if you not displaying an annual permit bikeboard or wearing an armband you will be stopped and asked if you have a permit or not. The copy (slip) of the day permit must also be in your possession while riding.

(hijack on) I think you are inviting an attack re your comment of not joining Tygerberg MTB to cycle in Majik - who do you think will maintain Majik if all riders have this attitude? As soos as it rains, Tygerberg will spent another few thousand rand on maintenance in Majik. You are basically freeloading on the paying members. The only reason you are able to legally ride in Majik is because of an agreement between Tygerberg MTB and the City council. (hijack off)

I didn't say that is what I want to achieve...just found it pointless as I go there like hardly ever..mainly I go to Tokai or Jonkershoek (and i have a wildcard and pay for Jonkers) If its such a issue with me going to Majik, go put up a stand there and I will pay my R10...the other 70% of riders there is no member of any club....and still go there....they just go for fun....

All those people you saw were either trespassing or had permission form 1 or 2 landowners. With the formation of the trails all prior permission/arrangements with landowners falls away and everyone has to buy a day/annual permit to ride.

I think its more unfair to expect some people to pay while other get to ride for free just because they've ridden there before. Who did and who didn't ride there ..... were they trespassing or did they have permission? I think its clear why we have taken the decision we have.

Take note if you not displaying an annual permit bikeboard or wearing an armband you will be stopped and asked if you have a permit or not. The copy (slip) of the day permit must also be in your possession while riding.

I was just asking cause I did see them there coming out....especially around 6-7pm during week...what happens if they stop you and ask and you didn't pay? Do they get arrested, or how does it work?