Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Rode a mix of red, green and purple and have to say the bermed part of the green was amaZing. The blown outness added to the fun. Again my compliments on some very awesome trails (Also though the bit of singletrach in the plantation was really cool.

Will hopefully be back

Glad you enjoyed the ride. We wil put in more berms during the winter - just waiting for the rain to come. Will also start cutting next week on extentions to the singletrack in the forest as well as on additions to the climbing single track section on the green route to try and sort out the wet sections during winter on that part of the green route.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New to mtb'ing, and went to the trail on thursday. Very happy to say that I bought a day permit. Our group was stopped by members to check for our permit boards. I actually liked it. Im am definitely planning on joining, and think I will also become one of those nosey members who checks for permit boards. Someone sais that the fee is 450 for the year, but someone said its 300 for 9 months? Does the fee get reduced pro-rate?

Second question, everyone is raving about the Tygerberg mtb clubs trails (meerendal etc). How does bottelary hills compare to those trails?

New to mtb'ing, and went to the trail on thursday. Very happy to say that I bought a day permit. Our group was stopped by members to check for our permit boards. I actually liked it. Im am definitely planning on joining, and think I will also become one of those nosey members who checks for permit boards. Someone sais that the fee is 450 for the year, but someone said its 300 for 9 months? Does the fee get reduced pro-rate?

Second question, everyone is raving about the Tygerberg mtb clubs trails (meerendal etc). How does bottelary hills compare to those trails?

Hi, depends which trails you do, I have only ridden meerendal and that is about the same quality but about half the quantity as Botterlary, I dont know about the other trails. Would say give em all a try

Distance: For non-members, the Tygerberg trails tend to be shorter (they are linked by green corridors for members only) whereas Bottelary's full network can be accessed with a day permit

Surfaces: Bottelary is a mix of farm road and jeep track with singletrack sections on gravelly sand (be careful for loose gravel on hard pack on some sections). Tygerberg trails are predominantly singletrack on a mix of clay and rock (some dusty patches in dry weather)

Technicality: Bottelary has some mean climbs and flowing singletrack but on the whole, not technical. Tygerberg trails vary with novice (most of meerendal) to seriously technical (parts of contermanskloof and hooggekraal).

Best bet is to try them all when you get a chance :-)

Someone sais that the fee is 450 for the year, but someone said its 300 for 9 months? Does the fee get reduced pro-rate?

The fee is R450 for the year and does not get reduced on a pro-rata basis. We usually drop the price on the 1st of July for the remainder of the year. The reduced fee still needs to be decided upon, but should be around R300 as from the 1st of July.

We're in the process of making some interesting additions and adjustments to the trails. The first addition starts just after you enter the single track in the forest right at the top of the red route - it is already open, but needs some compacting, so please go and ride it. One or two of the turns may also need some more work, so please take care.

We are also working on the climbing single track on the green route - see pics below. This section still needs some work and is not open for riding - should be ready in about two weeks time, on condition that we receive more rain.

post-4890-0-00406900-1399726222_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-54665900-1399726236_thumb.jpg

We managed to complete the additions and adjustments to the “climbing” single track section on the green route (also part of the red route) much faster then anticipated and it is now open for riding – see the light blue sections on the map.

The entrance to this section has been moved about 100 meters further up the jeep track. When you come down the fast jeep track on the left of the row of pine trees, do not turn left down at the bottom as you would have done in the past to get to the “old” entrance, but keep going straight and look for the signage on your left to direct you to the new entrance.

The second new addition is easy to find – the old track has been closed and you will automatically be guided onto the new section. We hope this section will eliminate the wet and soggy parts on the uphill sections that appear every winter.

Both sections need compacting - so take it easy for the first few days.

post-4890-0-01000900-1400002870_thumb.jpg

smashing. il look forward to that. useful reminder to people as to why you need to buy a permit!

:)

rode there today. did the red and green off the yellow from devon valley road.

the first new bit is ok, i would say its just different than before (you can still go the old way) unless like me you are crap at switchbacks in which case you will welcome the practice, it was a bit longer too i think.

the second bit was excellent though, really good :)

Hi Dirtman and others

I live in Stellenbosch and know of the Bottelary Route well but have never ridden it and I would love to try it as an alternative to Jonkies for a change (sound like a spoilt brat don't I). I have however heard that one mustn't ride it without tubeless as there are thorns galore. Is this so as it would be a shame but any guidance on this would be well appreciated. It would also allow an off-rode route to the out-laws as road is always a bit of a contentious issue.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by Pure XTC

Hi Scott

Thorns are not that big an issue anymore - most of the route options are well ridden in and you should be fine as long as you stay on the riding line. I cannnot guarantee you a thorn free ride however, as some sections of the route do follow vineyard paths where thorns are always a problem. Carry a spare tube and you should be ok - there are many riders riding the route non-tubeless.

You must definately give the routes a try - just make sure you do both the red and green routes so that you can ride all the single track that's on offer. Just make sure you have a day-permit (see website for details).

Hi Scott

Thorns are not that big an issue anymore - most of the route options are well ridden in and you should be fine as long as you stay on the riding line. I cannnot guarantee you a thorn free ride however, as some sections of the route do follow vineyard paths where thorns are always a problem. Carry a spare tube and you should be ok - there are many riders riding the route non-tubeless.

You must definately give the routes a try - just make sure you do both the red and green routes so that you can ride all the single track that's on offer. Just make sure you have a day-permit (see website for details).

Many thanks and it is on my list. As a pointer, I am no rouge rider and appreciate the time, effort and cash that goes into this so I (and the group I ride with in fact) are all paying members of the fraternity so permits are never an issue but always a thank you. Looking forward to it already.

As Dirtman said, thorns are much less of a problem now than before. The single track sections are mostly thorn free, but where the route goes through the vineyards you always have a chance of picking up some.

It is seasonal. From mid autumn until early spring, you should be fine with a bit of luck.

However as soon as work in vineyards start again in spring, thorns start making their way onto the route.

During spring and summer I would advise using slime tubes or tubeless with sealant.

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that the current entrance road to the trails from the Hazendal side has been closed with immediate effect due to the danger posed by construction vehicles using this road. A new entrance has been opened about 100 meters further down the Bottelary tar road. Please use this new link to the trails (indicated in blue on the map) and not the old link (indicated in pink). You will risk serious injury and even death if you continue using the old link road. Signage has been put up that will direct you to the new entrance.

Hazendal new entrance.pdf

Went up yesterday for the first time since summer. Appreciate the bits of work that have been done along the yellow and red routes.

Thorn season is pretty much over with all this rain (they break open to germinate) and I've never felt unsafe on this route (ride alone mostly).

Forgot how great the views are when you get to the top of that hill w/ fynbos and start the single track (red/purple I believe).