Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

The Bottelary Hills Mtb trails are open but only to Permit holders, no day permits are for sale yet.

You can buy permits online, R340 for the the rest of the year.

If you are caught riding without a permit you will be fined R120 by the marshals, and lots of them are out looking. #NoExcuses

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3072195562826490&id=183227135056695?sfnsn=scwspmo&extid=yDlcNH0I4W7ou0Rp

Edited by Trail-Blazer

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MTB TRAILS OPEN

The BHC MTB-trails will be open from Monday, 1 June 2020 from sunrise to sunset for 2020 annual permit holders only. Please note that no day permits will be sold during this time and that both Asara and Hazendal remains closed until further notice. Zevenwacht Wine Estate will open access to permit holders. Please park at designated parking area outside the boom – no vehicle access for cyclists. You can park and ride from Jordan Wine Estate.

Please respect our landowners and adhere to government regulations to play your part in fighting the Covid 19 Epidemic - wear your mask, sanitise, practice social distancing and please no group rides.

BHC annual permits are available at a special rate of R340 and will be valid until end December 2020. Permits must be clearly displayed on your handle bars at all times. No permit no ride.

Permits available online at www.bottelaryconservancy.co.za for collection from Flandria in Stellenbosch / Cyclo Sport in Kuilsriver / Attitude Cycles in Brackenfell and CWC in Bellville.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been issues at Tygerberg MTB with riders parking where they shouldn't. Where are we allowed to park before cycling? TIA

Found 4 button remote on Green route just before entry into Rooikat on Friday 5 June.

See attached.  You welcome to contact me on 0828882738.post-1787-0-64269200-1591880726_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Had an excellent ride yesterday - thanks so much for the recent maintenance that was done on the single tracks.

Just two questions. 

1) Is Ribbok getting fenced off?

post-38519-0-11076100-1602495716_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-06543300-1602495724_thumb.jpg

2) Where on earth is that tap? I rode up that road for about 1km but could not find it.

post-38519-0-17999100-1602495753_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-79457600-1602495757_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Had an excellent ride yesterday - thanks so much for the recent maintenance that was done on the single tracks.

Just two questions. 

1) Is Ribbok getting fenced off?

attachicon.gifIMG_20201011_112548.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201011_112550.jpg

2) Where on earth is that tap? I rode up that road for about 1km but could not find it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20201011_123546.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201011_123549.jpg

Thanks

I know of just two water point,

A) One on Yellow route:

post-30607-0-30007300-1602500052_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-75908600-1602500052_thumb.jpg

B) The other on the Red route Northern side.

And unless I have always misunderstood, and trespassed, or it has changed - I think the Marker on the trail map is old or wrong

Your Pic, I think is on the Red route.

Further along than indicated - trail turns right down dirt road - then if turning right again into small road - immediately on your right, about 10 yards in, is a gate - The tap is on the lawn under a tree. (Unfortunately  - That gate is sometimes locked !!   $@%&*%$#@  !!

post-30607-0-58435900-1602501317_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-17104800-1602501338_thumb.jpg

I know of just two water point,

A) One on Yellow route:

attachicon.gifWater point Yellow a.jpg

attachicon.gifWater point Yellow.jpg

B) The other on the Red route Northern side.

And unless I have always misunderstood, and trespassed, or it has changed - I think the Marker on the trail map is old or wrong

Your Pic, I think is on the Red route.

Further along than indicated - trail turns right down dirt road - then if turning right again into small road - immediately on your right, about 10 yards in, is a gate - The tap is on the lawn under a tree. (Unfortunately  - That gate is sometimes locked !!   $@%&*%$#@  !!

Ja, I also only know these two taps. Would like to know where the others might be.

That is where it used to be, however since that gate is locked they moved the signage to the other side where you come off the single track - I have yet to find the tap. But I know of the old one behind the locked gate.

Anyone know what the deal is with the fence setup at Ribbok?

There are now 4 waterpoints on the route, check out the Bottelary Conservancy Mtb trail map on their website for locations (also on www.trailforks.com). The one on the lawn at Welgevonden has closed, but another has been installed at Goedehoop next door, which should be available shortly.

This is really sad news, wonder when they will close off those routes.  Just want to thank the landowners for the time they did allow us to ride those sections,  and I am sure that the BHC will have something interesting in store for the future.

Poles are going up now while ground is still softer after the rains. Not sure when the wire fence will go up, but should only be in a few weeks time from now.

BHC MTB sub-com is actively busy with discussions re alternatives with landowners.

Indeed a big thank you to the landowners. :clap:
All BHC trails run across privately owned land and all funds generated through the MTB trails are used for trail maintenance and alien clearing. The mission of the BHC is primarily to preserve and grow the existing Renosterveld in its area and no funds go back to the landowners who generously grant us access.

• 2 weeks later...

As you might have seen the Bonfoi fence went up earlier than expected cutting off the track accross the top of Wolfkloof. You need to use the Ystervark trail going down into Wolfkloof and back up the other side for now.

Kastanjeberg fence is not up yet, so Ribbok single track is still accessible at present via a temporary "detour" through the veld.

Construction of alternative singletrack is due to start soon and should be completed by end November.

Edited by mountain_lion