Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

on the trail yesterday, and did the new 'grysbok' and new climb (to mast) on 'ribbok'

FANTASTIC

well-done to the trail-builders !!

Trails beautiful at the moment - so many colours - from white and yellow to rich dark green and purple

I struggled up the new climb!  Will have to give it another go.

Agreed, these are the most beautiful conditions.  Everything in full bloom, plus some late season rain to keep the dust in check.  Just remember to spray yourself with lots of insect repellent before your ride  :D

Big thanks to Trailblazers for the new trails and to the Bottelaryhills Conservancy for funding the build. :clap:

For now we still have access to the "old" Ribbok trail, but the Kastanjeberg game fence is due to go up in the near future (not exactly sure when).
Unfortunately this fence will cut off access to, Ribbok and Rooikat.  :( 

At least we have alternatives in place.

silly question - how do you access the old ribbok? We followed the signs from the fence and did the new route

Would like to do ribbok once or twice before it gets closed off

silly question - how do you access the old ribbok? We followed the signs from the fence and did the new route

Would like to do ribbok once or twice before it gets closed off

Don't turn right! After the fence 'junction' carry straight on for 50m, you will get back onto to the old road that takes you up to Ribbok. 

Anyone know if Asara are selling day passes again? They seemed to close completely for a while.

I am not 100% sure about the status at Asara, but seeing that nobody has replied yet:

Rumour has it that Asara will open 1 December 2020. (Best is to confirm with Asara directly before going).

Also note that Brenaissance Wine & Stud Estate on Devonvalley Road has just been added as a park & ride venue for Bottelaryhills trails.

Access to the trails is still the same: Join the Yellow route via the security gate for Fransmanskraal / Dwars-in-die-Weg / The Styling Shed.

Day permits can also be purchased from the security guard at this gate (Zapper payment only - no cash or card), but strictly no parking of cars at this gate please.

See facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/183227135056695/posts/3706492699396770/?sfnsn=scwspmo

• 2 months later...

so there is this fella who is a Marshal for Bottelary Hills, but for a while now he has taken his green and yellow bike on the trails before sunrise.  I have commented on his Strava before, but he doesn't seem to care.  Aren't Marshals supposed to enforce the rules?

Is this not what he's doing, ensuring no one else is on the trails before sunrise?

so there is this fella who is a Marshal for Bottelary Hills, but for a while now he has taken his green and yellow bike on the trails before sunrise.  I have commented on his Strava before, but he doesn't seem to care.  Aren't Marshals supposed to enforce the rules?

I must say I know a few Marshalls on these trails all of them hell of a nice guys, doing great work to ensure people stay within bounds and contributing time and energy for all of us to enjoy the trails.

Did you attempt to actually talk to the guy? Or just immediately jumped to conclusions and accused the Marshall?

I must say the actual rule is a bit vague, as it says Sunrise to sunset, "No night riding" seems to be the key point here. Tygerberg gives specific times, while BH doesn't. I would intepret sunrise with a "no night riding" sentence after that, to be that twilight would be fine.

But perhaps like Rudi said, the Marshall was out making sure you don't put yourself at risk.

You wouldn't know if you don't politely ask? Now would you?

I must say I know a few Marshalls on these trails all of them hell of a nice guys, doing great work to ensure people stay within bounds and contributing time and energy for all of us to enjoy the trails.

Did you attempt to actually talk to the guy? Or just immediately jumped to conclusions and accused the Marshall?

I must say the actual rule is a bit vague, as it says Sunrise to sunset, "No night riding" seems to be the key point here. Tygerberg gives specific times, while BH doesn't. I would intepret sunrise with a "no night riding" sentence after that, to be that twilight would be fine.

But perhaps like Rudi said, the Marshall was out making sure you don't put yourself at risk.

You wouldn't know if you don't politely ask? Now would you?

Interpreting the "no night riding" rule is simple, if you need a bikelight on the trails to see where you are going then you are either too early or too late.

Is this not what he's doing, ensuring no one else is on the trails before sunrise?

ha ha ha.  that's a rubbish excuse to go chase KOM's at that time of the morning.  NO ONE should be on the trail before sunrise.

I did alert him to this fact BEFORE he became a marshal and he said that he checked up on the rules and he was in the wrong, so from now on he will abide by the rules.

and abide by them he did, for a while.  i wouldn't have noticed his several early starts had i not seen him on his way home when the sun just rose.

so yes, i did speak to him before, but now he doesn't give a s...

it is unacceptable and there is no excusing this.

Edited by billygoat0523

Interpreting the "no night riding" rule is simple, if you need a bikelight on the trails to see where you are going then you are either too early or too late.

it's not no "night riding"...  it's pretty clear on the BHC page: https://bottelaryconservancy.co.za/about-mtb-trails/#tab-1606478349794-2-8

or screeenshot here:

post-96642-0-15106600-1613569043_thumb.jpg

Nowhere does it say that Marshals are exempt.  Other people see this behaviour and think it's okay to just ride at whatever time they want.  the whole point of this rule is to not disturb the mostly nocturnal animals in the conservancy.

Edit: LOL for the BHC photo on Facebook which shows FIVE marshals on the trails before sunrise.  Clearly no one gives a fudge and we can just do what we want.

Sunrise is 6:20:

post-96642-0-05444100-1613584627_thumb.jpg

Edited by billygoat0523