Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dean,

I  suggest you take this up with Bottelary hills management, I've been a marshal for 3 years now and have been putting a lot of time and effort in to ensure the trails are safe for others. The fact that you feel the need to mention KOM chasing makes me feel that you have something personal against me. Please follow the correct protocol if you have issues, I have spoken to management regarding this matter and no night riding is the goal here, if you need a light then you cant ride the trails as it is not safe. 

I have never gone riding in the dark as this is not allowed, I have however come across riders riding with lights on their way down from the trails, without Marshals being a bit earlier on the trails we will never know about these riders.

This will be my last reply on this thread, Hope that you can get more clarity from Bottelary Hills Management at christel@bottelaryconservancy.co.za

Thanks

Leo

points out the rules - "keyboard warrior"...  er, okay.

"photo on facebook doesn't look like it was taken in the dark" - ever heard of twilight?  

it's not personal Leo, like I said there's a pic with five marshals at twilight.  (it's light, but the sun has not risen)  if you're unsure about sunrise time, there's many websites that'll tell you when sunrise is - www.time.is, www.yr.no, www.timeanddate.com etc.

the rules are clear, Sunrise to Sunset (i even bothered to put a screenshot and a link on a previous post) - not "Twilight to Twilight".  I've p'd off a few friends by pointing that out to them too (with varying success) and I don't go ride before sunrise.

there is an easy to see when riders are on the trail before sunrise.

any how, you would think that if a website says something THREE times, it's pretty damn important:

post-96642-0-72020800-1613642670_thumb.jpg

Instead of ruminating on the meaning of sunrise to sunset - let's stick to the rules and enjoy the trails, no matter who you are.

People are generally more stupid than you would normally give them credit for.

If you have not seen the sun yet, it has NOT risen yet...

If you can still see the sun, it has NOT set yet...

If you were able to see the sun low on the horizon only minutes ago, but can't anymore, then it has not hidden from view. It has SET.

Here's the stupid guide to sunrise and sunset riding times:

Riding on a private farm is only allowed as long as the sun is visible, (or overhead on overcast days).

not riding related but rather running related. Are trail runners allowed on the trails? I'm having to dodge them just about every weekend and strangely enough I always seem to encounter them in the ST. Actually took a tumble on Sunday past on a down hill blind corner because I had to leave the single track to avoid the runner :angry: . The dude didn't even stop to see if I was ok. There are more and more runners on the trails these days which is very dangerous to say the least. 

Ag shame Billygoat... cry us a river. Maybe you should consider ice skating then the lights will all be on the same time for everyone?

Ag shame Billygoat... cry us a river. Maybe you should consider ice skating then the lights will all be on the same time for everyone?

I will be beyond pissed off if we loose access to the trails because of someone who thinks he does not have to abide by the rules, just because he has a "marshal" board on his handlebar. 

So until someone who's involved with the management/building of the trails says marshals are allowed to ride before sunrise/after sunset with lights - they need to abide by the same rules. 

I will be beyond pissed off if we loose access to the trails because of someone who thinks he does not have to abide by the rules, just because he has a "marshal" board on his handlebar. 

So until someone who's involved with the management/building of the trails says marshals are allowed to ride before sunrise/after sunset with lights - they need to abide by the same rules. 

And that I believe is the situation. Some people like to abuse "power". It just takes one to ruin it for everyone else. I hope this is not that case. I have ridden those trails a few times and they are nice. Northern suburbs are spoilt for choice.

I was part of the team that opened  the trails in 2011 and was also trail manager until 2018. 

The rule regarding night riding is quite simple (as Hellwarp had posted a few posts ago):   "if you need a bikelight on the trails to see where you are going then you are either too early or too late".

The reference to sunrise and sunset on the website is wrong.  I assume the mistake occurred when the website was overhauled last year.  So, yes, you can ride in the twilight period before sunrise or after sunset as long as you don't need to use a light. 

not riding related but rather running related. Are trail runners allowed on the trails? I'm having to dodge them just about every weekend and strangely enough I always seem to encounter them in the ST. Actually took a tumble on Sunday past on a down hill blind corner because I had to leave the single track to avoid the runner :angry: . The dude didn't even stop to see if I was ok. There are more and more runners on the trails these days which is very dangerous to say the least. 

No trail running or hiking allowed on the MTB trails at all - especially the single tracks.  Will be putting up additional signage at ST entrances soon in this regard.  The Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy (BHRC) is getting more and more requests from trail runners and hikers and are liaising with selected landowners to provide this option.  Please drop me a pin via whatsapp (0834480810) when you encounter runners or hikers as we'd like to identify areas that require more marshaling. Enjoy the trails.

I was part of the team that opened  the trails in 2011 and was also trail manager until 2018. 

The rule regarding night riding is quite simple (as Hellwarp had posted a few posts ago):   "if you need a bikelight on the trails to see where you are going then you are either too early or too late".

The reference to sunrise and sunset on the website is wrong.  I assume the mistake occurred when the website was overhauled last year.  So, yes, you can ride in the twilight period before sunrise or after sunset as long as you don't need to use a light. 

Could not have said it better and will edit the website accordingly.  Not only do we expect riders to respect nature, but also the landowners.  A light in a distance could be anybody or anything, which is why riders are asked nicely to please ride while it is still light.  Enjoy the trails.

No trail running or hiking allowed on the MTB trails at all - especially the single tracks.  Will be putting up additional signage at ST entrances soon in this regard.  The Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy (BHRC) is getting more and more requests from trail runners and hikers and are liaising with selected landowners to provide this option.  Please drop me a pin via whatsapp (0834480810) when you encounter runners or hikers as we'd like to identify areas that require more marshaling. Enjoy the trails.

Interesting because I've seen a lot more hikers/walkers on the trails lately as well but I've let it slide as I know there used to be a dedicated hiking path over the top on the hills in years gone by. I must admit, I'd appreciate the option of being able to hike on BHC as well, even if it means paying a little more each year for the option of a dual permit system.

While on that topic, what's the chances of offering riders the option of purchasing additional number boards at the beginning of the year. I currently have 3 bikes (dual, hardtail and gravel) and on any given day would like to pop onto the trails while out riding but it's a major schlep cutting cable ties and removing my number board to swop over to the bikes.

Actually, the schlep is in remembering to do it. I've caught myself on the trail on my gravel bike and then suddenly remembering I don't have my board on and then I have to get off the trail before I get bust (just being honest here, my board is legit).

A plan made in this regard will be much appreciated :thumbup:

Interesting because I've seen a lot more hikers/walkers on the trails lately as well but I've let it slide as I know there used to be a dedicated hiking path over the top on the hills in years gone by. I must admit, I'd appreciate the option of being able to hike on BHC as well, even if it means paying a little more each year for the option of a dual permit system.

While on that topic, what's the chances of offering riders the option of purchasing additional number boards at the beginning of the year. I currently have 3 bikes (dual, hardtail and gravel) and on any given day would like to pop onto the trails while out riding but it's a major schlep cutting cable ties and removing my number board to swop over to the bikes.

Actually, the schlep is in remembering to do it. I've caught myself on the trail on my gravel bike and then suddenly remembering I don't have my board on and then I have to get off the trail before I get bust (just being honest here, my board is legit).

A plan made in this regard will be much appreciated :thumbup:

Could you use velcro straps for the board ?

Might help with cable ties, not with remembering to swop the board ... :)