29er vs 26er Review - By a real person

mark ellis

One of the things I really battle with is the front of the bike lifting when riding up steep hills.

Would a 29er let this happen more, or would it happen less?

It happens much less with ME on my new 29er compared to my old 26.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about whether I should get 29er. Could you guys tell me how tall u are and what size/make 29er bike u got

One of the things I really battle with is the front of the bike lifting when riding up steep hills.

Would a 29er let this happen more, or would it happen less?

Try softening your elbows a bit and lean forward more on steep climbs.

With the comments made on how on a 29er makes the choice of line not important, would it be fair to say that 29er's suit those who are not technically skilled riders?

Definitely!

Few weak points I have noticed: slower to accelerate for a sprint or to pass slower people on a single track when you need a quick burst of speed. Handling on single track and tight turns are more difficult.

Interesting, I have always thought a 29er would be more difficult to handle on the single track, especially with a lot of switchbacks. You cant through the bike around quite like a 26er? Theory only, I havent been on a 29er yet!

Not gonna dispute what you say about the niner but 'real person' on the Hub :unsure:

yeah that was pushing it hey? thought I would get away with it but alas!

yeah agree and maybe should have mentioned that, technical climbing is easier

the more I think about my ride today the more the 29er stands out

must agrre with your laymens review one other thing I noticed was my heart rate was noticeably higher but I was carrying more speed on average

So I think that it is possible that a 29er could take you to a higher level of fitness

I ride a few routes that I check via dl on the Garmin and am defintely quicker even on the loose steep climbs but my HR is at its peak but once it flattens out I recover nicely

In Tokai there is probably only one section that was part of the Epic route that I wont tackle on my 29er right now for fear of a bad fall even though I have done it on a test 29er before

So must say I dont think the 29er would hold you back on the technical twisty xc descents once you get used to it

Mark, I think I saw you there! We're you the guy in the white Assos?

Anyway, must agree with your review. You have to kick a bit harder when you start a steep climb but once you've got momentum you're flying.

Will do a bit of a write up on my new steed under buyers guide...

Thanks Mark. Can you tell us do both bikes weigh the same, are both hardtails. My thinking is 29 ers are faster but anybody over 30 should be riding a dual (unless you a racing snake) and the 29er dual is not the cheapest.:blush:

I read the comments.

What size bike was the 29ér?

I rode a small 2 weeks agao, you acctually sits on or over the back wheel.

When you climb and you move your bum back to push power from the hip, you go to far back. Making the front wheel lift from the ground

For me, if you ride a small, stay with a 26.

Edited by popeye

I completed my 29er built this weekend....a Stumpjumper S-Works HT, after being (or still is) on a Merida 96. The 29er is a more natural ride, and way faster on flatter routes, but I agree with Mark Ellis, climbing is better on the 26". Went out this morning on a flat route, and chopped about 5 minutes off my 35km loop, compared to the 26". There is still a lot to get used to, but so far the 29er is tops. Being a roadie as well, the 29er set up is closer to my road bike, and switching between bikes will be easier.

Edited by atraut

With the comments made on how on a 29er makes the choice of line not important, would it be fair to say that 29er's suit those who are not technically skilled riders?

I've done approx. 6,500 km's on my 29er hardtail and would say that it gives "not technically skilled riders" a lot more confidence.

Some observations between riding the 29 hardtail and 26 FS:

Long non-technical climbs (5+ km's ave 8%) = no real difference

Long non-technical descents = 29er faster because it gives me more confidence

Steep technical, rocky, loose climbs = 29er wins hands down. There are some climbs (15-20%) that I sometimes have to walk parts of on the 26er but never on the 29er.

Steep technical, rocky, loose descents = 29er because it gives me more confidence

Flats stretches = no real difference

I'm an average Joe cycling between 7 and 9 hours a week on mostly gravel roads and jeep tracks with some long climbs and some steep loose stuff and my overall impression is that the 29er has made me a more confident rider especially in the technical areas which I'm pretty poor at. I liked my 26er but like my 29er more.

Thanks Mark. Can you tell us do both bikes weigh the same, are both hardtails. My thinking is 29 ers are faster but anybody over 30 should be riding a dual (unless you a racing snake) and the 29er dual is not the cheapest.:blush:

a mate of mine has an air niner carbon coming in at about 9.3kg I was going to get a niner jet and it was a fairly well specced bike Large and it was only coming in at 12.5 kg and they reckon I would struggle to get it under 12kg without spending serious cash, I went with the Anthem 29er and am sitting 12kg for a large and I reckon I can chop off 500 by changing the wheels and my saddle but to be honest I dont feel I need it the bike just wants to go