• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

watched this again earlier in the week....

http://mustang1.net/data/media/28/Mustang_eleanor_super_snake.jpg

Now THAT is how it should look!

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/demotivational-posters-mr-wonka-called.jpg

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/demotivational-posters-uhm-this-is-mr-wonka.jpg

In the past few years, I’ve learned that a lot of Christians lack intellectual humility. And this isn’t really an attack on Christians alone because this sort of behavior reflects a large majority of “intellectuals” in general along those who claim without question to be scholars in their respective field of faith, but something that I’ve noticed especially with Christians is an arrogance that prevents the chance of learning from the beliefs and opinions of others.

I guess these thoughts will appeal to those who first acknowledge that there is a God, and secondly acknowledge the bible as an instrument that helps us better understand God. So to those who acknowledge the bible as access to God’s will, would it be fair to say that this access is limited? Upon reading the bible there are tons of questions that appear to those who actually exercise their ability to think, and these questions aren’t really addressed with concrete answers but rather met with a bunch of “Well I think…“‘s from perplexed pastors. So since our access to understanding God is rather limited, our insight on God and his will is also limited and depends immensely on our own personal interpretations and whatever process of thinking we use when trying to understand God, his word and his ways.

So I guess what I’m getting at is: Who’s to govern which interpretation of this limited access should triumph another? Is any one man or woman more in tune with God’s divine intentions that he or she should feel they have a better understanding of God’s will than any other person on Earth? Blasphemy. Yes there are ordained ministers who the church acknowledges as having more “direct” communication with God… but let’s not get into that. And who’s to discern who’s communication with God is fraud and who’s is legitimate? Everyone believes that their thoughts and beliefs stem directly from God the Father himself but we are all in the same boat. We’re all just mere mortals with a few clues as to God’s intentions but none of us possess an omniscient understanding. So no one, despite how much reading, memorizing, studying and scrutinizing of the bible they have done, should act as though their interpretation of God’s will is infallible. And no one should impose their own personal interpretation on another. And this is what I mean when I say that many Christians lack intellectual humility. Reading and having familiarity with God’s word does not make you God. Never will I understand a Christian who fails to at least entertain the thought that they might just be wrong about something they believe God is trying to tell us. I’ll never understand it.

Edited by TNT1