I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Touching wood........but the only breakdown I've had in about 600 000 km was 20 km from home. On the N1 highway on Plattekloof. I could literally see home. Front propshaft U joint broke. D and I took 10 minutes to remove it and drive home in 2 wheel drive. Learnt something from it though. Keep off the highways!  ;)  

Where my son works they have several new Landy's - beautiful vehicles, rearview parking cameras, heated seats, everything. They are often driving over fields and coutry parks and towing heavy trailers of sound equiptment.

One new guy finished packing up a job, drove in 4WD out of the park and then headed of at full speed down the motorway without deselecting something or other and destroyed the gearbox.

Someone with more knowledge of these things (DJR?) than me can probably explain exactly what it was he probably did......

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Namibia

This image - a canoe in the desert. The caption possibilities are endless.

Thanks for sharing.

Touching wood........but the only breakdown I've had in about 600 000 km was 20 km from home. On the N1 highway on Plattekloof. I could literally see home. Front propshaft U joint broke. D and I took 10 minutes to remove it and drive home in 2 wheel drive. Learnt something from it though. Keep off the highways!  ;)  

Thoughts on the new Defender?

Where my son works they have several new Landy's - beautiful vehicles, rearview parking cameras, heated seats, everything. They are often driving over fields and coutry parks and towing heavy trailers of sound equiptment.

One new guy finished packing up a job, drove in 4WD out of the park and then headed of at full speed down the motorway without deselecting something or other and destroyed the gearbox.

Someone with more knowledge of these things (DJR?) than me can probably explain exactly what it was he probably did......

I don't know the very latest models that they just launched. Those are above my pay grade and too complex with all kinds of electronics. But on the older models, you could destroy the gearbox by leaving the diff lock or locks on when doing tar at speed. I don't know how long it would take, but I would guess more than just a few hundred kilometres. But it has a warning light to tell you that the diff lock is on and you can feel it when turning.

I like it, personally. Yeah, it's not as utilitarian as the old one, but let's be honest. LR's primary clientele are the sort of person who want luxury off-roading capabilities, and this is likely to be just as capable, off road. As for the price, well... have you seen the price of low mileage 90's at the moment?!

I don't know the very latest models that they just launched. Those are above my pay grade and too complex with all kinds of electronics. But on the older models, you could destroy the gearbox by leaving the diff lock or locks on when doing tar at speed. I don't know how long it would take, but I would guess more than just a few hundred kilometres. But it has a warning light to tell you that the diff lock is on and you can feel it when turning.

This guy did a couple of hundred miles, at speed, towing load . . . 

Namibia

Those bring back good memories. Pics of mine in Namibia (Damaraland and Etosha). 3 weeks road trip during RWC '97. We planned our whole trip to be in civilisation during the boks games so that we could watch. Watched the final in Swakopmund.

Also did trips to Bots, Moz, Zim, Zam. Made the mistake of selling it about 7 years ago  :(  

post-62386-0-79630200-1586338506_thumb.jpg

post-62386-0-91567400-1586338547_thumb.jpg

This guy did a couple of hundred miles, at speed, towing load . . . 

That could well do it, especially with the heavy towing.

I like it... a lot. The initial reviews look very good, especially off-road capabilities. Land Rover invited a bunch of international motoring journalists to Namibia for a few days recently to test the vehicles, including Van Zyls Pass. There are a few YouTube videos. All were very positive.

Have to wait for long-terms tests though

Landies are the stereotype Instagram adventure influencer vehicle.

For a reason. They are pretty cool and they will get you to cool places.

But a myriad of other vehicles will get you there as well, and probably be more comfortable at getting there. And cheaper. And more reliable.

My boet asked me to go look at a couple of landies for him, and we had a long chat. He ended up admitting that he won't take it to the beach, into the Bush or off road really and he will probably put highway biased tyres on. I told him to get a 2x4 double cab or SUV then? NOPE, he wants the Landy, and he wants the roof rack to stay on.

Anyhoo, what do I know? At least he won't call me to help him out of some far off cool place when he is stuck or broken down, because he won't go there for fear of scratching the paint.

Learning to hate my first landrover, took another 30 years to get rid of my last one though  :whistling:

attachicon.gif1976.jpg

This reminds me, perhaps I should confess to a bit of a history with Landies:

My godfathers Series 2 in the Northern Cape. I thought it was the coolest thing on 4 wheels, still think so.

post-17716-0-67432300-1586339444_thumb.jpg

When I was a student. What to do if you want to wind surf and the wind doesn't play along? Landies ALWAYS play along! You sommer ski behind it! We didn't have a friend with a parachute then - that only came later! This one a Series 2A

post-17716-0-03518000-1586339722_thumb.jpg

My own first trip in s Series 3, Northern KZN and Southern Moz.  It was still allowed to drive on the beach then. Raced the tide from Sodwana and Cape Vidal, decided to use the high pressure hose at the boat launch to clean up the sand and the salt that was all over the car - killed it by getting water on the ignition and was stranded for an hour while drying everything out. Boat guys had no sympathy, said to buy a boat if I wanted to play in the water.

post-17716-0-02239500-1586340290_thumb.jpg

My first Defender. A 2.8 petrol. Had enough power to pull away and make all 4 tyres squeal, but  if you did that too often you ended up with an empty petrol tank waaaay before you expected. Was great fun though. Could actually keep its speed uphill and upwind, storm the dunes with just about anything and tow a bulldozer sideways - but again, you had to carry extra jerry cans of fuel. Really regret selling that one.

post-17716-0-44799500-1586341207_thumb.jpg