I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Yes all these new cars are all different in ways of starting. I struggled with my sister in laws Kia to find the key hole, nothing, you just push a button [emoji58] [emoji19] [emoji849]

Same with the Merc... First few minutes was spent looking for the ignition... Bearing in mind that I drive a 23 year old Isuzu...

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me a while to find out how to put on the handbrake of the bosses Merc a while ago. Turns out you don't use your hand to do it!

That was the one thing that my wife simply could never come to grips with - she hated her Merc for every day of the 5 years she drove it. Said it was too much of a moms car, but I just know it was that damn foot/hand brake that was to blame! :D

Sunday musings.

I sat in the sun this morning working on my vitamin D tan whilst brushing the dogs.

Then I heard one of the many Venda women next door signing the French lullaby Frere Jacques to a restless baby, but in Venda.

It struck me as odd that it would have been translated into Venda, but then I remembered when we first arrived in Louis Trichardt 30+ years ago there was a strong French community; the 2nd and 3rd generations of the descendants of the Swiss missionary Doctors who founded the Elim hospital (20km South East of our town.) 30 years ago there were still some French speaking doctors working at the hospital.

Paul Kruger granted the land to the Swiss missionary Doctors in the 1890's on condition that the treat all races. He ment both Englsh and Afrikaans, but the Swiss have a far more liberal interpretation of his grant.

Sometime in the last 120 years the Swiss must have taught the lullaby to the locals.

Sunday musings.

I sat in the sun this morning working on my vitamin D tan whilst brushing the dogs.

Then I heard one of the many Venda women next door signing the French lullaby Frere Jacques to a restless baby, but in Venda.

It struck me as odd that it would have been translated into Venda, but then I remembered when we first arrived in Louis Trichardt 30+ years ago there was a strong French community; the 2nd and 3rd generations of the descendants of the Swiss missionary Doctors who founded the Elim hospital (20km South East of our town.) 30 years ago there were still some French speaking doctors working at the hospital.

Paul Kruger granted the land to the Swiss missionary Doctors in the 1890's on condition that the treat all races. He ment both Englsh and Afrikaans, but the Swiss have a far more liberal interpretation of his grant.

Sometime in the last 120 years the Swiss must have taught the lullaby to the locals.

Lovely story.I must read up on that.

Right up until 2012 the Mission and Medi Clinic were donating equipment.What happened then?

The place is a wreck

I have seen that in Botswana.No funds and no equipment and totally overloaded

Edited by Kranswurm

Lovely story.I must read up on that.

Right up until 2012 the Mission and Medi Clinic were donating equipment.What happened then?

The place is a wreck

I have seen that in Botswana.No funds and no equipment and totally overloaded

30 years ago it had the reputation as one of the best eye hospitals in the country. Many of the residents of Louis Trichardt and surrounding farms had been born there.

I offered to move someone's GLA Mercedes the other day. Sat in it for about 15 minutes and couldn't get it started. Then I put my foot on the brake...

How long did it take you to find the gearshift?

I sat in a GLC once for like 15 minutes trying to figure out how to stick it into drive, eventually had to ask someone who then showed me it’s on the steering column.

I offered to move someone's GLA Mercedes the other day. Sat in it for about 15 minutes and couldn't get it started. Then I put my foot on the brake...

I did exactly the same in my own car. After driving it around for 1 month. Geez

fantastic way to show autism (from a parents view)

Mark Rober is very cool.

possibly a reason why he didn't stay at NASA.

My Sunday musings about Elim Hospital took me back to this story.

Constable Willem Eagle and his rifle.

Constable C.W. Eagle was born in Canada from an English mother and a Red Indian Brave father. In 1904 he Joined the BSAP and was stationed at Fort Edward, a prefab steel fort, near Elim. (20km From Louis Trichardt)   He brought with him his own repeating rifle.

The Rifle was a Colt repeating rifle, unusual to say the least, as Colt made revolvers, ,both pistols and some revolver rifles. However, they made about 40 repeating rifles before Winchester took them to court for patent infringement, and Colt recalled all of them in 1904 except for three.  One of which escaped the recall was Constable Eagle's, as he was already on his way to South Africa at the time of the recall..

In 1908 he was dispatched on horseback to investigate a disturbance west of Messina, and encountered a lioness who attacked him. He fired many shots at the lion with his rifle but was severely mauled before the lioness withdrew.  A Prospector on a nearby hill saw the incident and got him help. He was taken by mule cart back to Elim Hospital (The journey must have taken several days)   He died of his injuries several days after getting to hospital.  

So why was his rifle so ineffective against the lioness bespite all the shots fired?  Well It was a .22 calibre peashooter .

Below is local historian Charles Leach with the rifle.

post-63-0-12045800-1618837730_thumb.jpg

Other things they dont teach you in history class :D ;

...In an attempt to achieve this mission to the Moon Nkoloso recruited twelve astronauts, and put them through rigorous training of his own devising. He put them in an oil drum, spun them round trees and rolled them down hills in order to prepare them for weightlessness. He taught them to walk on their hands as he believed this to be the way to walk in space. He made them swing on a rope, before cutting the rope to allow them to experience freefall...

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/zambian-space-programme

http://www.goodshortfilms.it/en/articles/afronauts-il-programma-spaziale-dello-zambia