I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

2 hours ago, DJR said:

The COOLEST idea. and yes I want to do it

It is, not sure it can be safely done at home but imagine doing the old narrow gauge rail from PE to CTN...along the coast at Nature's Valley, Vic Bay...would be awesome! Here's another take on the same idea...but I reckon the platform is so much better, I would rig up a tent on it and just sleep right there! With 2 up, you can take turns and get a brew going while the other cycles!????

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, capediver said:

It is, not sure it can be safely done at home but imagine doing the old narrow gauge rail from PE to CTN...along the coast at Nature's Valley, Vic Bay...would be awesome! Here's another take on the same idea...but I reckon the platform is so much better, I would rig up a tent on it and just sleep right there! With 2 up, you can take turns and get a brew going while the other cycles!????

I emailed Alan Winde about that stretch. Basically the short answer was nice idea but no.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I emailed Alan Winde about that stretch. Basically the short answer was nice idea but no.

Its actually a great idea, all those abandoned stations could be transformed into overnite stops, local traders could offer snack stops along the line, group tours can be arranged, the opportunities are endless....then I woke up....???????? I might create a new "sport"...bikerail hijacking...

11 minutes ago, capediver said:

Its actually a great idea, all those abandoned stations could be transformed into overnite stops, local traders could offer snack stops along the line, group tours can be arranged, the opportunities are endless....then I woke up....???????? I might create a new "sport"...bikerail hijacking...

Yup. That line will never see another train. I've walked the bit from Ballots bay to Wilderness and it's pretty much overgrown. It could be a great thing. 

3 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Much easier to apologise than to get permission if you know my drift...

3 minutes ago, Ed-Zulu said:

Much easier to apologise than to get permission if you know my drift...

My proposal would have cost several million and involved converting the narrow gauge railway from Knysna to George into a gravel mountain bike trail. With an overnight stop or 2 along the route. Not technical. Beautiful scenery on a railway line that will never see another train. The line has been damaged at Vic Bay and will never be repaired to the level that can carry a train again.

You're welcome to run with the idea. 

36 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

My proposal would have cost several million and involved converting the narrow gauge railway from Knysna to George into a gravel mountain bike trail. With an overnight stop or 2 along the route. Not technical. Beautiful scenery on a railway line that will never see another train. The line has been damaged at Vic Bay and will never be repaired to the level that can carry a train again.

You're welcome to run with the idea. 

I understood it incorrectly, didn't see your long term planning...but it would've been great if it could be done.

1 minute ago, Ed-Zulu said:

I understood it incorrectly, didn't see your long term planning...but it would've been great if it could be done.

Can you imagine? There's also a narrow gauge that runs from George to Mossel Bay and one that goes over the Outeniqua pass to Oudshoorn. I'm not sure if those lines are still in use but the Knysna one most certainly isn't.

There was an initiative in the US called Rails to Trails that converts disused railways to cycling and walking trails. So much potential. yoh!

40 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Can you imagine? There's also a narrow gauge that runs from George to Mossel Bay and one that goes over the Outeniqua pass to Oudshoorn. I'm not sure if those lines are still in use but the Knysna one most certainly isn't.

There was an initiative in the US called Rails to Trails that converts disused railways to cycling and walking trails. So much potential. yoh!

I know New Zealand has a similar hiking route which is world famous.

I would've been one of your first customers as this type of route lends itself to hiking, biking and trial running. The opportunities for businesses and international tourists is limitless!

What makes old railway lines so good for bike touring is the fact that the inclines are very gentle. Trains cannot climb steep gradients, so theline always follow the gentlest climb possible, which make it much easier to cycle up, even for non-hardened riders. And that widens the field and make it accessible to many more  people.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:43 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

wouldn't this be a Transnet thing and not a Western Cape Gov thing?

Great idea, by the way

48 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

wouldn't this be a Transnet thing and not a Western Cape Gov thing?

Great idea, by the way

The line was privatized and used exclusively by the knysna choo choo. There's an organization called friends of the choo choo who were trying to source the funds to fix the line at Vic bay but as time goes by the line will get more overgrown. My dealings were with Wnde's office when he was the MEC for tourism in the Western Cape. The whole thing got shut down pretty early. The land probably does belong to Transnet.

Someone with more determination and passion for a project of this nature should probably have handled it rather than an IT guy who's into riding bikes for fun.

As I said in a previous post I've walked the stretch from Ballots bay through Vic and to Wilderness and it's truly beautiful. But it's totally overgrown and probably 10 years from being completely swallowed up by the bush in some spots.

Imagine riding a bike over those railway bridges you can see from the road between Knysna and Wilderness. That would be STUUUUNING!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

On 8/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, justinafrika said:

This is all that remains of the Verwoerd name as far as public facilities are concerned, it’s officially called the Betsie Verwoerd Pompstasie.  :lol:

betsie-verwoerd-pompstasie.jpg.e90a5b47fbfc45039416ab3abe3f8353.jpg

Only because it is in Betsie Verwoerd street. 

15 hours ago, DJR said:

What makes old railway lines so good for bike touring is the fact that the inclines are very gentle. Trains cannot climb steep gradients, so theline always follow the gentlest climb possible, which make it much easier to cycle up, even for non-hardened riders. And that widens the field and make it accessible to many more  people.

eerrmmmm ummmm ........ e ........ bi............ke......s cough cough