MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

Hi there

How do I know what the correct tyre pressure will be for my mountainbike? I obviously have to take my weight into account but suppose that the type of terrain will also play a big role.

Currently riding mostly in the Western Cape, jeep track & single track. What pressure do you guys riding here inflate your tyres to?

Here is one of the best ways!

https://www.schwalbe.com/de/pressureprof

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lowered my pressures to 1.9 at the back and 1.75 bar in the front. Grip was back to normal so all in all I am happy again.

• 1 year later...
I have a Titan Cypher Alloy 120 - tires are VITTORIA BARZO 29″ X 2.35 XC-TRAIL ANTHRACITE SIDEWALL. They are tubeless and it says minimum 2 bar on the sidewall. Can I go lower than this or should I stick to the minimum. I weight 73 kg's.

thanks!

I have a Titan Cypher Alloy 120 - tires are VITTORIA BARZO 29″ X 2.35 XC-TRAIL ANTHRACITE SIDEWALL. They are tubeless and it says minimum 2 bar on the sidewall. Can I go lower than this or should I stick to the minimum. I weight 73 kg's.

thanks!

Get a section of trail with some berms, rocks, humps, etc ....

Ride the trail, with the tires at 2 bar ... concentrate on how the feels handle the various sections. Is it "planted" in the the corners? Is it "harsh" over the bumpy stuff ?

Now lower the tire pressure by 0,2 bar, ride and FEEL for differences in the handling ...

Drop another 0,2 bar and repeat ...

Depending on rider weight and tire there is a magic pressure for each rider/tire combination ....

On the one extreme ... our 9-year old weighs 33kg. At 2 bar the bike is bounced up by corrugations .... we lowered the pressure ... bounce ... lower the pressure .... and again, all the while checking that the tires are still firm through corners. Ended at 0,9 bar pressure.

On my bikes, with Schwalby tires I had to run near 3 bar :( Super uncomfortable, but any lower and it would squirm in corners ... ended up throwing it away. Various tires were run at around 2 bar. Currently I run my tires at 1,8 rear and 1,6 front ... certainly the low limit, but what a sweet spot :)

I'm 62kg and run Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and rear on Carbon Hardtail

Front - 19psi

Rear - 23psi and sometimes 21psi on very loose technical terrain 

I'm 62kg and run Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and rear on Carbon Hardtail

Front - 19psi

Rear - 23psi and sometimes 21psi on very loose technical terrain 

That is 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 bar respectively, very low, but then, you weigh almost nothing (62kg) ...   :whistling:

Edited by Theog

That chart from cycle lab sounds about right for an average rider on an average day on average terrain.

Thing with tire pressures on bikes, is it is a very dynamic thing, and because you are working with a very small volume tire essentially, tiny changes can have a huge difference - so every person needs to go an figure it out for themselves through a bit of trail and error.

As a rule on trails I ran my tires a bit harder than most suggestions - but I am just barely under 110kg on a good day, and I tend to buldoze my way over and through things - So to save the rims and stop the tires from pulling off the bead I have too..... but thats for me - a more finessed rider, would be able to get away with 20% less air in the tires on a given day - and be fine

I have a new Butcher and Purgatory, both 2.3 grid gripton on a 120mm/120mm carbon Cypher.

In winter I would run them at 1.6 to 1.7 bar, but currently now in dry, harsh, rocky washed out middle of summer I never drop the pressures below 1.8bar.

75kg

I'm not a fan of dinged rims and blown out pinch flats which lead to expensive repairs and walking.

I will happily take the 'penalty' of slightly harder tires to alleviate this with the current state of Cape Trails.

Edited by Jewbacca

I have a new Butcher and Purgatory, both 2.3 grid gripton on a 120mm/120mm carbon Cypher.

In winter I would run them at 1.6 to 1.7 bar, but currently now in dry, harsh, rocky washed out middle of summer I never drop the pressures below 1.8bar.

75kg

I'm not a fan of dinged rims and blown out pinch flats which lead to expensive repairs and walking.

I will happily take the 'penalty' of slightly harder tires to alleviate this with the current state of Cape Trails.

Just got back from a long ride ... lots of ruts and mini potholes ....

May have to up my pressures for these conditions

Wow, the suggested pressures are crazy high!

Agree .Even at 100kg ,i never go higher than 2Bar .Currently riding Ardent 2,4 at 1,6 front and 1,8 rear .Cyclelab,s chart says  2,1 and 2,2 .That is unnecessary hard