MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

For those not sure of the conversions ....

20 psi = 1,38 bar

25 psi = 1,72 bar

30 psi = 2,07 bar

35 psi = 2,41 bar

40 psi = 2,76 bar

45 psi = 3,1 bar

50 psi = 3,45 bar

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not sure of the conversions ....

20 psi = 1,38 bar

25 psi = 1,72 bar

30 psi = 2,07 bar

35 psi = 2,41 bar

40 psi = 2,76 bar

45 psi = 3,1 bar

50 psi = 3,45 bar

:thumbup:  1 bar = 14.5 psi, just multiply by this number (14.5) to go from bar to psi, divide by this number (14.5) to go from psi to bar.

OR use google:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+to+psi&rlz=1C1CHBD_enZA886ZA886&oq=bar+to+psi&aqs=chrome..69i57j6j0l4j0i395l2.5152j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

70kgs

25psi F

30psi R

My broken rim count has gone from 6 months per rim to over a year without destroying a rim. Except when i bailed i my foot went through the front wheel

• 4 months later...

This is going to stir the pot I weigh 101kg with 2.35 Ardent Race front and Crossmark 2.25 rear. Pressures 1.1 front and 1.6 rear. I have experimented with tyre pressures and shock and fork presdures ad nauseum and ridden same descents back to back and keep coming back to these pressures. In almost 9000km no pinch flats or damaged rims and only confy as a couch. Any higher and the bike rattles my teeth out. Oh and thats trying 2 forks also

This is going to stir the pot I weigh 101kg with 2.35 Ardent Race front and Crossmark 2.25 rear. Pressures 1.1 front and 1.6 rear. I have experimented with tyre pressures and shock and fork presdures ad nauseum and ridden same descents back to back and keep coming back to these pressures. In almost 9000km no pinch flats or damaged rims and only confy as a couch. Any higher and the bike rattles my teeth out. Oh and thats trying 2 forks also

I am in much the same boat, running a 2.6 up front and a 2.4 at the rear, my pressure varies from 18-20psi up front and 20-24psi at back, I weigh 100ish and haven't had any issues with smashing rims pinch flats, yet, but maybe I just dont ride nearly as hard as I think I do

Do you use cush core?

At a 100kg myself, if I ride those pressures I will take the tyres off the rim if I corner hard and destroy rims in a matter of a few rides.

I ride 25psi front and rear, but use a cush core in the back.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Do you use cush core?

At a 100kg myself, if I ride those pressures I will take the tyres off the rim if I corner hard and destroy rims in a matter of a few rides.

I ride 25psi front and rear, but use a cush core in the back.

No Core but rims with 26mm internal width.

No Core but rims with 26mm internal width.

Sho, so on the narrower side. The last time I ride under 25psi I ended up putting a lekker big ding with a few smaller ones in spank rims (2.5” Minions on 30mm internal rims).

118kg. 1.8bar front. 2.5 bar rear. No inserts. Just heavy casings.

what size tires?

about 119kg with 2.35 tires front and rear (barzo/mezcal) and i've settled on 27psi f and 29psi b

Sho, so on the narrower side. The last time I ride under 25psi I ended up putting a lekker big ding with a few smaller ones in spank rims (2.5” Minions on 30mm internal rims).

I'm not on a DH bike. I ride a 100mm travel xc bike so I disagree that 26mm internal is narrow. The top of the range Scott Spark RC900 is OE with 26mm rims. HE Trek Top Fuels I ride with have 23mm rims. I'm riding 2.35 tyre and not 2.5 etc. I'd snap a fork before pinching a rim. I've finished a ride with my rear at 0.9 after deflating too much on the trail.

I don't like my bike shaking itself to priced and when it's fast and twisty I'm in the faster end of riders

Have you checked your pressure Gauge ?

Mostly a pointless discussion without knowing specifics - rim width, tyre, tyre width, weight, terrain, trail or XC etc. General very rough rule of of thumb: somewhere from 1.4 to 2.2 depending. Usually 0.2 more in the back than the front. Figure what works best for you.

Front 29x2.6 30mm internal rim 1.6bar Butcher

Rear 27x2.6 30mm internal rim 1.8bar Eliminator.

Weight (rider and bike) is 105kg’s and I ride mainly Tokai.

I found that I could go lower if not cornering hard, but found that with less than 1.6 in front the tyre could fold during flat turns. Less than 1.8bar on the back and it’s starts to hit the rim on square edged ledges.

I also ride with compression damping pretty much fully open on the front and rear, which I do think helps the tyres cope a bit better when slamming into rocks.

I would love to get away with less pressure, but the above seems to be about the least pressure I can get away with without having issues.

Edited by Mike Mac

Have you checked your pressure Gauge ?

Good point. Varied very very slightly from another Topeak. Not enough to matter. As an aside I used to ride Novatek Dragon rims with something like 18mm internal...tyre squirmed a lot and that was 2.2

Edited by love2fly