Switzerland / North Italy

Madmac

I did a short MTB trip to Flims in Switzerland a few years ago - we stayed in the Segneshutte (mountain "hut" high up above the village). It was superb, but getting to it was tough - very steep with gear. One thing to say is these huts are very popular so usually need to be booked in advance, which might mess with your plans. Most of them are actually quite luxurious, not the simple huts we're accustomed to in SA.

Lift passes can get expensive but are absolutely required in Switzerland. Italy might have more XC/Trail type riding (only been road riding in Dolomites and Garda but saw plenty of trail signage) but Flims was mostly downhill (rented a 160mm bike).

Hope this helps a bit.

FWIW

I've only been to Bassano del Grappa (Monte Grappa) for the road cycling. Flew into Venice and caught a commuter train to Bassano. It was a dirt cheap holiday for a Euro trip and cost 35k all in for the 2 of us. If you want amazing road cycling on a budget with a bit of Giro pedigree Grappa is a good bet. Pack your climbing legs tho coz there's 11 roads to the top of Monte Grappa and the climb is +-1550m It's kind of like an Italian Ventoux.

We've also popped in to Aosta in the Alps on a day trip to Milan from Morzine. I could easily go back to Aosta. the lift up to Pila bikepark leaves from downtown Aosta and La Thuile bikepark is between Aosta and Mont Blanc. The St bernard pass (The italian job) is right there for some ridiculous road cycling.

Edited by Duane_Bosch