5150 - Daylight robbery

RaeTrewBrowne

They nuts.

It's jutifiable for 70.3 or full IM to charge a packet, but for a 3 hour event they have lost their marbles.

Saying that, Ill probably do the CT one, just for the tshirt :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...if I earned my salary in dollars then there was absolutely no problem paying $90 for a race. Do not compare dollars if you earn in ZAR. What you need to do is take your salary multiply it by seven then you ask the person if they would be happy to pay R670 for a race.

In the States it is not much to pay $90 for a race, in fact they dont even blink to spend $100 on useless stuff. I got a pair of asics (almost top af range) payed $50 (R350.00) came back to SA same pare is R999.00 at total sport.

In the States it is not much to pay $90 for a race, in fact they dont even blink to spend $100 on useless stuff. I got a pair of asics (almost top af range) payed $50 (R350.00) came back to SA same pare is R999.00 at total sport.

That is what I mean with my post...$90 is nothing, just getting a bit aggro in general when people start justifying local prices with overseas when they do not earn Dollars, Pounds or Euro's. :blink:

That is what I mean with my post...$90 is nothing, just getting a bit aggro in general when people start justifying local prices with overseas when they do not earn Dollars, Pounds or Euro's. :blink:

For your information, I lived and worked in the USA for the last 14 years, which one would assume I was earning US dollars, and not ZAR. And furthermore, you can do a whole lot more with $90 (which is expensive) than what you can do with ZAR630 (assuming an exchange rate of ZAR7/$1).

So please feel free to tell me how $90 is not expensive in your worldly opinion...

Rands, Dollars, Pounds, Euros, whatever...

Fact remains - there is not a snowballs chance in hell I would pay R700 for a one day race.

You can justify inout costs all you want but if you charge R700 I will not be there.

Last time I spend that on a race I got a tent and 3 squares a day - R700 for a race falls outside my value for money scale.

For your information, I lived and worked in the USA for the last 14 years, which one would assume I was earning US dollars, and not ZAR. And furthermore, you can do a whole lot more with $90 (which is expensive) than what you can do with ZAR630 (assuming an exchange rate of ZAR7/$1).

So please feel free to tell me how $90 is not expensive in your worldly opinion...

First I will take a chill pill, then I would go and say I raced in the states for a while so I know what you get for your dollar. I underlined the part "in general"...which means not aimed directly at you but in general. Never said $90 is cheap BUT if I earn in dollars and spend dollars is not the same as earning in rands and spend in dollars. Clear enough? :blush:

This is a topic raised by a person who feels that the amount charged to enter the race is a bit rough for him. Surely he is entitled to that opinion? It is too much so he is not racing it...end of story. You getting a bit warm under the collar for nothing.

Edited by AuctionLamb

First I will take a chill pill, then I would go and say I raced in the states for a while so I know what you get for your dollar. I underlined the part "in general"...which means not aimed directly at you but in general. Never said $90 is cheap BUT if I earn in dollars and spend dollars is not the same as earning in rands and spend in dollars. Clear enough? :blush:

This is a topic raised by a person who feels that the amount charged to enter the race is a bit rough for him. Surely he is entitled to that opinion? It is too much so he is not racing it...end of story. You getting a bit warm under the collar for nothing.

Clear enough, but please note where earlier I said that I bow out gracefully because it is a lot of money...

Just didn't take kindly to you getting "aggro" over people who talk about different currencies, so miss understood that part that it wasn't aimed directly at me since I was the one who originally brought up the different currencies.

Okay, I give up! You guys win, it's daylight robbery... :blink:

If it's too much for your pocket, then just don't do it! :P

What about a compromise? We leave our subjective opinions out of it and let objective economic market forces take over. For some R700 bucks is a lot, for others its not (i.e. they will do the event and fly up from Cape Town). If the event is sold out, then it was not over priced - if not...well then daylight robbery! ;)

What about a compromise? We leave our subjective opinions out of it and let objective economic market forces take over. For some R700 bucks is a lot, for others its not (i.e. they will do the event and fly up from Cape Town). If the event is sold out, then it was not over priced - if not...well then daylight robbery! ;)

Well said!

There is value for money in terms of riding and value for money in terms of experience.

Cape Epic is an example of *** value for money but great value for experience. On the one hand you could fly to Mauritius and have yourself a 10 day 5 star holiday but you wouldn't get to ride restricted and awesome trails day after day whilst hanging out with all your mates and thousands of like minded individuals.

Value is a relative thing I suppose.

Okay, I give up! You guys win, it's daylight robbery... :blink:

If it's too much for your pocket, then just don't do it! :P

Thats a good way to get more people involved

My 5c worth. I think they based their pricing on a olympic distance being more or less a half IM 70.3 distance, so they charged half the fee for 70.3 and 1/4 the price of a full IM.I may do one if it comes to PE to say I have got the T shirt but still feel that it is a rip off. :unsure:

Maybe you should all get together and do your own thing as you all are not doing this race.

Have fun whatever you do that weekend.

R800 is a sizeable entry fee. (ignore the discounted early bird rate, as most will pay the full fee). That is USD 114 at approx current exchange rate.

By comparison:

1. The Global 11 at Sun City in November is USD 55 (R385).

2. The Suncoast Olympic Race in Durban on 17 July is R300

3. The BSG Ultra last December (70.3 distance) was about R700 if I recall.

Is it good value? The race numbers will tell the tale.

The problem with a strong brand, is that sometimes you start to believe your own marketing. Ironman SA run the risk of creating a whole lot of negative sentiment about themselves by just milking the cow a little too much.

Besides, their profit margin should really come from Sponsorship revenue. Sponsors like large numbers of participants, which means more sponsor revenue. Smaller entries, smaller sponsor revenue. Beneficial circle vs vicious circle. I think they may have made the wrong choice.

With reference to IM70.3 pricing, for that you also get a Pasta Party and an Awards ceremony. The event also takes place over a whole weekend requiring a lot more event hire costs than for a one morning event.

Edited by davem

This event will cost me about R 1000.00 . So i have 2 options:

1)Enter and do the race and forget the money that i spent.

2) Make a statement and leave this one out and hopefully more of us will do this and send out a message to the organisers that we will not stand for this robbery.

We can complain as much as we like ,the simple solutions is just stay away , the numbers will tell the story i hope.

if you decide not too do it, then send an email to the organisers so they know what everyone's complaint is.