Gauteng Winter Trail Series # 1

Grondpad

Yesterday I did the Trail run at Groenkloof and the organization was terrible

What was the difference between the R90 for the race and paying R25 anytime other time. Even though I entered online, I still stood in a que for 30 min. I got a number and that is it. Not even pins to pin the number with.

With road events I can see what justifies the cost, but they are still cheaper than the trail running event.

I am going to give the rest of the series a skip. The event yesterday was really a great example of bad organisation and I did not get my moneys worth.

I want to make the following points:

• With all the people entering online, how can they not have expected the amount of people that will be picking up there numbers, seeing that there are limited places to do it prior to the event?

• How can there not be one water table. The reserve had numerous tar road were vehicles could access the route? I know you have to take your own water, but still. What do I pay for?

• Why wasn’t there people assisting the runners at the back of the number pick up que. I saw numerous people that didn’t know which que they had to be in because it was just a huge bunch.

• Why only one table for drinks afterwards? That is just ridiculous! You had to que for 30 to 45 min to get your (already entered online) number now you have to que for a quick drink afterwards as well!

• Why isn’t there a max amount of runners allowed? For the first 4km yesterday it was a constant stop-go-stop-go. The trail could handle that huge amount of runners. I was there to run, not hike

Apart from all the negatives, the trail itself was brilliant. But as mentioned above, it doesn’t justify the costs. I can do it on my own without a number for R25

I know you pay for the vibe and the experience, but what if the experience was horrible due to the reasons above?

I also did it yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to admit, you raise a good point that the trails are accessible at any time and you don't need to enter a race to run there, although I guess I wouldn't have known exactly which route to take as I am unfamiliar with the hiking trails there (quite used to the MTB singletracks). One gripe I had was the merger of the long and the short route 1km from the end - messy! I wish both MTB and running race organisers would never do that :thumbdown:

I have to say, though, that I disagree with you insofar as the waterpoints are concerened. This is trail running, after all, and you're meant to be self-sufficient. In my very limited experience with the sport, its unusual for there to be waterpoints on a trail run.

I waited in a queue for about 20 minutes yesterday, but that wasn't enough to ruin the day for me - I chatted to lots of people I knew, and lots I didn't know, while waiting for my number. It seemed easy enough to figure out which line to stand in (plus the MC dude was announcing that over the PA system regularly).

Anyway, I reckon you've got some valid points above but I still really enjoyed the run.

Sorry - forgot to mention that another thing that frustrated me was the fact that the website stated no line entries on the day, which resulted in a mate of mine not coming along with us. When I got there, I immediately noticed that there were LOTS of people entering on the day.

but I still really enjoyed the run.

I totally agree. After the congestion and the field sorted itself out, the run was excellent!

If anyone comes across the results or photos online, please shout! The Trail Series website looks horribly out of date :unsure:

I must admit this race was on my race calendar BUT I decided not to take part because I thought the entry fee was expensive considering it was R90 to enter the race as well as another R26 entrance fee. In addition petrol and tolls to Pretoria and other incidentals. The costs all-in-all make it a very expensive 11km run. So no I dont think its worth it.

as well as another R26 entrance fee

We didn't get charged an entrance fee...

ek het die race en roete baie geniet... :thumbup:

maar ek stem saam. R90 vir niks ... :thumbdown:

- lang wag vir nommers

- geen goodie vir jou inskrywing

- hulle kon maklik 1 waterpunt by die grondpad gesit het.

- swak einde waterpunt met lang ry

- lang wag om by die plek uit te kom na die race.

die koste om die race te hou is baie min! mens het amper geen marshals nodig ook nie.

wat sou dit geneem het om 1 metro polisie te kry om mens by die venue uit te help?

hulle het om die draai gestaan en boets uitskryf... :angry:

ek gan hennops rivier race maar skip.. sal wel weer daar in groenkloof gaan hardloop op my eie.. :thumbup:

o'ja ps: die mense op die roete is baie nice en die girls is hot hot! :rolleyes:

Edited by Skaap