Riding in Clarens/ Golden gate

Twombles

I am going to Clarens for a weekend, at the end of June. It seems like such a brilliant place to do a couple of training rides, and I don't want to miss out on some last minute training before the Jock.

Does anyone know whether the roads are safe to cycle? I would love to ride through the golden gate national park to sterkfontein dam , but I remember the roads being winding and narrow.

Has anyone ever done some riding on those roads?

Are there any dirt roads ( or even better trails :drool: ) in the area. The government (lady) will be going with, so I don't want to drive out to do some riding, but want to sneak in a two or three hour ride.

The ride through Golden Gate, from Clarens to Sterkfontein, is awesome - just be prepared for some serous climbing! The gradients get really tight, at places, in the reserve. I have taken my road bike along, when I've holidayed in the area. Pretty safe road, with not to much traffic.

• 3 years later...

Yes it is. Take the car to clarens and then cycle to fouriesburg and back! Best road ever