ladies bike choice

jwagga

Looking at getting a bike for my wife,she is riding a cheapy at the moment,but I would like to upgrade her bike. Does anyone have advise on what to get,please advise on hard tail and full suspension. But I don't want to brake the bank,one more thing would the frame on a trance x 4 work for a lady?she is small and would fit on a small frame,I think,thank u

i ride a trance and love it - if possible, let her ride it to see if she's comfortable with it.

if you can afford to get a dual suspension it would be good. tranche is a good choice but best is for her to test ride and see what she is comfortable on. merida is also good value for money

Looking at getting a bike for my wife,she is riding a cheapy at the moment,but I would like to upgrade her bike. Does anyone have advise on what to get,please advise on hard tail and full suspension. But I don't want to brake the bank,one more thing would the frame on a trance x 4 work for a lady?she is small and would fit on a small frame,I think,thank u

As far as frame geomitry goes there's not much diff between men / women spesific bikes, women specific bikes they just drop the top tube for some reason. Not sure why its us boys that have swanicles that can get damaged on a top tube :P

As far as making a bike women's specific, basically have the handle bars cut by a pro according to her shoulder width and you can look at getting a decent women's specific saddle like the fizik or stella's dont go for those built up padded bulky cheap things.

Thats about it. Then its a question of which bike she feels more comfortable with and that is normally to do with top tube length/stem length, that will determine reach and general seating position on the bike. Thats the most important thing to get right.

As to which frame depends on what type of riding, the trance is generally a trail bike, (its flippen awesome) but can be a tad on the heavy side. If its for fun riding with some trails I would look into the Anthem Range, best value for money bike out there and rides like a dream.

My riding partners wife rides a Trance and loves it too, the geometry of the Trance is pretty suited to women, as far as "women specific frames" go. Best to take the wife with try a few of the bikes on offer if possible, she will be stoked that you are letting her make the final choice :thumbup: Big brownie points.

What other bikes are you looking at?

Edited by Caerus

Ladies sizes are normally just one smaller than the men so the mens small would be a ladies medium same geometry, so it is actually just with most brands a moneymaking thing

My riding partners wife rides a Trance and loves it too, the geometry of the Trance is pretty suited to women, as far as "women specific frames" go. Best to take the wife with try a few of the bikes on offer if possible, she will be stoked that you are letting her make the final choice :thumbup: Big brownie points.

What other bikes are you looking at?

No specific bike just like the feed back that will help me make the right choice,don't want to buy the wrong bike

Get her a pink bike :lol: :lol:

Seriously, make sure she likes the colour/look of the bike. For some reason that is more important than spec when it comes to getting her to use it.

Get her a pink bike :lol: :lol:

Seriously, make sure she likes the colour/look of the bike. For some reason that is more important than spec when it comes to getting her to use it.

So true. In the early days before she learns the benefits of x and y components or geometry the 2 most important things are (in order of importance)

1. Does she look good on bike and does the bike look good

2. Is it comfortable

So true. In the early days before she learns the benefits of x and y components or geometry the 2 most important things are (in order of importance)

1. Does she look good on bike and does the bike look good

2. Is it comfortable

3.Does her ass look OK in the shorts? :lol:

Edited by chris_w_65

As far as making a bike women's specific, basically have the handle bars cut by a pro according to her shoulder width

the trance is generally a trail bike, (its flippen awesome) but can be a tad on the heavy side.

let her decide about the handlebars before you cut it. i wanted mine cut when i bought it; a friend suggested i ride with it for a month before i cut it, and i now much prefer the wide handlebars.

heavy - probably depends on what your definition of 'heavy' is ... mine was perfect for rhide2rhodes, which included some significant vertical ascent and some portaging up the drakensberg.

Trance all the way, it is an amazing bike, and it will be comfortable and confidence inspiring on technical routes.

If you want to race competitely an anthem is better, but if you are a trail rider who do all day rides in the mountain, the Trance fits the bill perfectly.

let her decide about the handlebars before you cut it. i wanted mine cut when i bought it; a friend suggested i ride with it for a month before i cut it, and i now much prefer the wide handlebars.

heavy - probably depends on what your definition of 'heavy' is ... mine was perfect for rhide2rhodes, which included some significant vertical ascent and some portaging up the drakensberg.

Cat sweets not dissing your bike at all luv, if i had the cash on me I would buy one in a second to use as a trail toy. They are amazing machines. But I am just stating it has a trail geomitry and even though you can ride them over long distances and a lot of people do, that was not their design intent. The trance have a much more relaxed seating position since its at home in the rough stuff.

Speaking about ruff stuff, I agree handlebar width depends on riding style, But any gril that buys a bike needs to be aware the length of your stem is normally 580mm + and is generally the shoulder width for men, this not only alters your seating position it also has an affect to make a bike a bit "sluggish" in the rough stuff for someone with a smaller narrower frame.

Depending on if you like a nippy or sluggish bike will depend on your riding style and comfort level while seated. But yes dont just cut try someones bar thats already cut so that you can judge the difference.

Any idea were I can find a trance x4 2009 or 2010 new bike,does any stores out there still have stock?

Any idea were I can find a trance x4 2009 or 2010 new bike,does any stores out there still have stock?

Cyclesphere in Morningside may have a few left in stock. :thumbup: