How long can a mtb last?

Firemeister

Interrested to know how long a often used mtb bike can last and how long have you had and used yours?

define 'mountain bike' :)

if a mountainbike is the frame:

my schwinn lasted from mid 2002 till february this year - almost 9 years; it did sani2c, 2*sabie xperience, sabi shenanigans, 3*swazi extreme, sani2c nonstop, transbaviaans, a few indunas, magalies monsters, lionmans and other minor marathons & adventure races ... it toured through ireland & scotland, and through baviaanskloof with panniers, and it rode through tibet to everest base camp - so i'd say it was properly used like a mountainbike should :)

if a mountainbike is the frame:

my schwinn lasted from mid 2002 till february this year - almost 9 years; it did sani2c, 2*sabie xperience, sabi shenanigans, 3*swazi extreme, sani2c nonstop, transbaviaans, a few indunas, magalies monsters, lionmans and other minor marathons & adventure races ... it toured through ireland & scotland, and through baviaanskloof with panniers, and it rode through tibet to everest base camp - so i'd say it was properly used like a mountainbike should :)

Genade!

So the answer is for as long as you are prepared to ride it.

Genade!

So the answer is for as long as you are prepared to ride it.

or till the bikeshop refuse to service it any longer :D

This reminds me of the guy who was so attached to the pocket knife he inherited from his grandfather that he decided to use it forever - over years of use, he had to replace the blade twice and the handle once, but at least he still had his grandfather's knife!

This reminds me of the guy who was so attached to the pocket knife he inherited from his grandfather that he decided to use it forever - over years of use, he had to replace the blade twice and the handle once, but at least he still had his grandfather's knife!

djr - the schwinn's got a different frame now ... but it still has the original seat post & cranks - does that count? :P

I've got a Gary Fisher Tassajara that I've had since 1995. Until about 2006 it was my only bike and so was riden often and always off road. Over the years I've replaced the RD, chain and cluster a couple of times. Other than those "wear and tear" replacements, everything else is the original. It's now my backup bike but still gets to see the trails from time to time.

I want to see these sub 900gr mtb frames do that ;)

The frame will last as long as you take care of it.

The rest, groupset, wheels, tires, shocks, break pads, disks, etc .... is consumables ... you stuff it up, you replace it and carry on!