Specialized Camber Pro 29er Review

Chubba

Looks like a good deal and a nice bike!

Review

post-12790-0-46285600-1307806412.jpg

When it comes to off-the-shelf 29ers, I’ve been impressed with the offerings from Specialized. New this year is the Camber line and the Camber Pro 29er that I’ve had the pleasure of riding over the past few months. No question… this bike is a winner.

2011 Specialized Camber Pro 29er Features:

M4 alloy FSR frame with 29er-specific geometry, new suspension design, and sealed cartridge bearing pivots for confident handling and smooth trail performance

Custom Fox Triad II rear shock tackles all trail conditions with its 3-position, on-the-fly adjuster that includes lockout, fully open, and efficient ProPedal settings

Fox F100 RL 29 fork with lockout and adjustable rebound complements the big wheels to further smooth out rough terrain

Super light, custom SRAM Carbon S-2200 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle and removable spider offers stiffness, performance, and durability

Custom Avid Elixir R SL hydraulic disc brakes with G3 Clean Sweep rotors for maximum stopping power and Elixir levers with reach adjust

Shimano Deore XTR Shadow rear derailleur with carbon cage delivers ultra-light, top-of-the-line shifting performance and legendary durability

MSRP: $3000

2011 Specialized Camber Pro 29er Review

New for 2011, the Specialized Camber 29er lineup offers a ton of bang-for-the-buck. The top-end Camber Pro 29er I tested is really an amazing value at $3000. All things considered, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find its off-the-shelf equal. Lets dive into some of my thoughts.

When the Camber Pro 29er rolled out of my local bike shop, Timpanogos Cyclery, I was immediately impressed. The white/rootbeer color scheme looks sharp and the entire package really makes sense. The one thing I tend to give Specialized a hard time about is the SRAM-mano drivetrain. Over the years I’ve given them guff, but in this instance, they have cherry picked quite a hodgepodge package that has proven reliable and predictable. Rounding out the package is a great set of Specialized/DT Swiss wheels.

Setup was a breeze with both the fork and shock offering stiction-free performance right out of the box. I quickly dialed both in at about 30% sag and left it. The only item I swapped out were the Specialized lock-on grips. I personally prefer the added comfort of Ergon GX1 grips, but other than that I was completely satisfied with every part on the Camber Pro.

Unlike most 29ers I ride, I opted to keep the stem in its positive rise position. The combination of that with the flat, wide bars proved to put me in the perfect riding position for both technical, steep climbs and challenging descents. I also elected to go with the size Medium, which some may consider borderline too small for my 5’10″ frame, but for me it made the bike much more playful and fun. That said, the cockpit really felt comfortable, not cramped. Specialized does have odd sizing on paper since I typically prefer about a 23.75″ top tube (the medium is 23.2″). I either have to size up or down, but in the case of the Camber 29er, sizing down proved to be an excellent choice.

My personal steed is the Niner RIP 9, which sets a very high bar in the 29er trailbike market. Honestly, after spending time on the Camber, I’m completely impressed and feel that this bike can give the best trailbikes a run for their money.

Ascents are a breeze with the 29er-specific 2×10 drivetrain. On most climbs, I’ve been able to keep it in the large chainring. Only on steep, technical terrain did I drop into the cheater. At no time did I feel like the 2×10 drivetrain made me sacrifice any seemingly-lower gears offered in a 3×10 or 3×9 setup. Only once did I experience chain suck while dropping to the small chainring under load. Rear shifting was always superb and crisp — thanks to the XTR rear derailleur (makes me wonder how a full XTR drivetrain would perform).

The SRAM-mano drivetrain is a bit Frankenstein-ish, but it performed extremely-well on the trails. I quickly forgot about the unlikely combination and went on with my rides — completely confident in the accuracy and speed of the shifting.

I did tend to use the ProPedal switch in the rear a little more than on other bikes. For most riding, I left it on since it blows through the valve when needed, but for fun-filled descents, I turned it off and was always well-rewarded.

When pointing this bike downhill, the Camber really performs well. Rolling through rocky sections, the bike remains composed and confident with no noticeable flex in the front or rear-end. It tracks smooth and is able to handle the gnarliest terrain you can throw its way.

I’m a huge fan of the Captain Control 2.2 tires and really appreciated how well they rolled and hooked up in all terrain. There’s a reason why I have them on my own personal ride (yup, they are THAT good). Another highlight of this bike is the Specialized BG Henge Comp saddle. This one just fits my anatomy perfectly for a numb-free ride — gotta get me one of these.

One of my favorite traits of this bike is its ability to carve through winding singletrack. 29er nay-sayers will scoff, but a capable rider will power through tight, twisty and technical terrain while smiling like a little kid. This bike sure makes a case for the obsolescence of 26ers — it’s that good.

Good Camber Pro 29er

Perhaps the best off-the-shelf full-suspension 29ers on the market

At $3000, this is a killer overall value

FSR suspension design is always smooth and predictable

Love the tire selection… really makes this bike shine in all terrain

Feels comfortable in all terrain and conditions

Carves up twisty, turny singletrack

Carries its speed so well, you will be grateful for the 203mm front rotor

Bad Camber Pro 29er

No tapered head tube

The lines between the white and root beer colored two-tone paint could have been a little (yeah, being picky)

Bottom Line: 2011 Specialized Camber Pro 29er

The Camber Pro 29er should inspire you to put your 26er up for sale right now. I’m long sold on big wheels and will not consider anything other than a 29er for my own bike. This bike makes that argument easy. Give it a whirl… this bike will amaze you.

Edited by Chubba

Yeah, recently reviewed in a recent issue of Tread as well.

Pretty much agreed with the above, great package for all round riding and those tyres are really under rated!

OFF TOPIC: Hey Danger, I had a 'downhill day' today - tackled a bit of track called 'Jeff's Downhill'. It didn't take long. And not all of the brown stuff on my shorts was mud.

Ha ha, SRAM-mano. That means 'SRAM-hand', mano being Latin for hand (mano a mano means hand to hand, not man to man as many believe it to be)...blink.gif