Buying a 29er under R 9999

Mr.November

Hi Hubbers

I need your expertise and advice, I am new to MTB and 1.96 m, and about 94 kg. Looking to buy a new (or maybe used) 29er between 6000 and 10000. The only available option I am aware of is the Scott Scale 29er comp @ R8000.00

Please give me advice on when to buy and where. I am studying at potchefstroom and reside in Pretoria so anywhere close would be great. I will also gladly buy 2010 or 2011 models if 2011 is old already!

Thanks a lot!

look at a Momsen AL329 at about R 8000 or the GT Karakoram also around R 8000. both good bikes. my brother-in-law just bought the Momsen and its a great bike. Was rated the best value for money 29er on the market in a review of 6 budget 29ers in a recent issue of Tread mag.

Thank guys! The Momsen AL329 looks great, where should I consider buying and should I wait for a new model and then buy the Momsen AL329 when it's "old" or rather just buy it now?

you cant beat a new bike dude. where do you stay. he bought his momsen from northcliff cycles, gt you can get from linden, eagle canyon cycles. these are in the randburg area

cyclelab had treks on special for R10 000, not bad but think as suggested the Momsen will be your best buy

you cant beat a new bike dude. where do you stay. he bought his momsen from northcliff cycles, gt you can get from linden, eagle canyon cycles. these are in the randburg area

I stay in Pretoria, but JHB is close enough. Do you know what he paid for it? Also on Momsen's site they already list the 2012 AL329, has it already been released or not? And if not any idea of when it will be released? Because prices on the 2011 AL329 should drop then shouldn't they?

Thanks for the help JC!

Check the web, seems as if Momsen will release their 2012 range in August. Will it be wise to wait for the 2012 model of the AL329 and then buy the 2011 model? Will shops allow that and will I be able to get discount? Sorry for the tedious questions guys, but I am new to the whole MTB thing...

Hi Guys,

The Momsen is great, I have one and it's value for $$$$.

I upgraded the following:

Crank - Shimano DEORE LX

Tyre's - Rubino KRATOS

Stem - FSA

Bars - FSA

Skewers - MOMSEN

Seat - WTB

Seat post clamp - PRO

Seat post - PRO

Grips - RAVX

There is no need to change anything but the above is just my personal preference.

I was looking for a 29er and not to spend to much on one a friend at a shop suggested it to me, I ride it anywhere and it is very good on technical terrain.

My merida 26 does not compare.

Rocky Mountain have some nice new 29ers, worth a look, i know that they are good but i'm not sure how good.

Have any of you actually seen the "Budget" Momsem's in the metal?

Spec is a joke.

Who fits alivo anyway?

The frames look like Makro jobbies.

AND-

I've mailed Momsen, before I went to the shops to investigate, and they never had the courtesy to reply.

So screw 'em. I've gone else where, and I'm happy about it.