Bike Carriers

Jigghead

I'm riding the two Knysna Oyster festival races next month and thought it would be an easy thing just to go and get a carrier for the bike to load it onto the plane.

Now I ride a fairly inexspensive bike and was a little blown over when I discovered that these things cost almost as much as the bike did!

Any idea if anyone rents these things or where I could get a cheapish one?

go to a bicycle shop and ask them if they have an old box that their new bicycle stock gets shipped in, then dismantle wheels, rear derailleur etc - tape box excessively and that man bob is married to your aunt.

I'm riding the two Knysna Oyster festival races next month and thought it would be an easy thing just to go and get a carrier for the bike to load it onto the plane.

Now I ride a fairly inexspensive bike and was a little blown over when I discovered that these things cost almost as much as the bike did!

Any idea if anyone rents these things or where I could get a cheapish one?

I don't know if you've seen these: www.bikesafe.co.za. I'm looking to buy one as I don't want to take my bike apart and put it back together after a flight. Not too sure about rentals though. LBS probably the best bet.

IF you do not have a carbon bike then you can get a normal bike caddy bike rack which is not too expensive (I think, been a while since I bought mine). However, you can not use them on carbon bikes. So should you buy a carbon bike later on, you will be in the bike again which of course is more expensive. I still use my old bike caddy as a bike stand when servicing my bikes but will be buying a new bike rack very soon.