Conversion of V Brake to Hydraulic disc brakes

jules1976

Hi Guys

Im converting my Mongoose V brake to a Hydraulic disc brake system and need good advice from fellow hubbers on what components to use during the build up.

i have already sourced a few components but need to know what the complete list of parts that require changing.

i have chatted to a few staff at the local bike shops and they have advise against the build as it is too costly for an old bike like what i currently ride. ( 2006 Mongoose Tyax XL )

i feel that building a bike over a period of 3-4 mths and getting the best components and then at a later stage purchasing a good frame fully suspension will be a worthy investment and a great exercise.

The following components do not require to be changed :

Hubs

Rear Derailer ( although i wont mind changing it)

Specs on the bike

9 speed X 3

Shimano Deore V Brake system and derailer

Tru Activ crank

Looking forward to the replies.

Jules

I did the same on my wife`s bike a while back. Here is what you would more than likely need:

Disc compatible wheelset - go tubeless if you can - bicicletta have a great special on their Ritchey WCS.

Your wheel/hubs will either take 6-bolt rotors or center lock rotors - make sure you have the right ones.

You do get an adapter to go from center lock to 6-bolt if you need but it is extra and I dont recommend it.

Look at your fork - it might be post mount or IS standard - that is the way the brake caliper connects to the fork. Post mount - you dont need an adaptor - IS mount - you will need an adaptor. Make sure which mount your fork has.

You will need an adapter for the rear brake - 160 or 180.

Other than that you should be fine.

Discs make a big diff to your ride.

Sort out your brakes first - XT derailleur is more than fine, even SLX is fine - leave that for later.

Enjoy.

hi Guys

thanks for the quick replies.

Just to note have a tubeless conversion on their already and they are disc friendly.

Will leave rear derailer as is.

Do i require a front derailer as well ?

Have sourced XTR shifters and XT dual control brake levers.

Are these two items compatible ?

Why do you have two sets of shifters? :unsure:

hi Guys

thanks for the quick replies.

Just to note have a tubeless conversion on their already and they are disc friendly.

Will leave rear derailer as is.

Do i require a front derailer as well ?

You do not need the XTR shifters if you are going to use XT dual control levers, as they have shifters as well. Just remember that the rest of the brake set, ie. hoses and calipers must also be Shimano, as Sram uses Dot 3 brake fluid apossed to Shimano's mineral fluid. The two are not compatibile. You can choose any rotor that will fit.

H Guys

thanks for the heads up on the shifters

Would i not be able to use Avid Elixir brakes on the bike ?

Do i need to get a front derailer as well ?

thanks

Front derailleurs are 1:1 Sram/Shimano does not matter - you can use your old FD.

If you are going with shimano shifters you will need a shimano rear derailleur as well.

Shimano rear is 1:2 sram rear is 1:1

Rear shifter and derailleur needs to be of the same manufacturer

thanks guys

XTR shifters sourced here on the Hub SA are only the shifters will have to find compatible brake levers. :)

H Guys

thanks for the heads up on the shifters

Would i not be able to use Avid Elixir brakes on the bike ?

Do i need to get a front derailer as well ?

thanks

Dude.

You are confusing the crap out of me!

On a Goose Tyax V-brake setup you have a combination brake/shifter set. The derailleurs don't know that.

You will need (if you have disk compatible hubs) a set of SLX/deore disc brakes. (Cheap and long lasting) and a set of slx or xt shifters 9 speed. Your existing front and rear derailleurs will work fine.

You will need a pair of 160mm rotors (go shimano) either splined or 6 bolt depending on your hubs.

You will need a 160mm rear adapter, and a 160 front adapter if your fork has tabs. If the fork has post mount, you will not need a front adapter at all for 160mm.

XTR combo brake/shifters are a nightmare. Stick with the XT's. Avid brakes are crap.

And don't worry too much about what your LBS has to say. There is nothing wrong with your bike frame. They just want to sell you 20+K worth of new bike.

Enjoy. Disc rocks!

Edited by The Drongo

Dude.

You are confusing the crap out of me!

On a Goose Tyax V-brake setup you have a combination brake/shifter set. The derailleurs don't know that.

You will need (if you have disk compatible hubs) a set of SLX/deore disc brakes. (Cheap and long lasting) and a set of slx or xt shifters 9 speed. Your existing front and rear derailleurs will work fine.

You will need a pair of 160mm rotors (go shimano) either splined or 6 bolt depending on your hubs.

You will need a 160mm rear adapter, and a 160 front adapter if your fork has tabs. If the fork has post mount, you will not need a front adapter at all for 160mm.

XTR combo brake/shifters are a nightmare. Stick with the XT's. Avid brakes are crap.

And don't worry too much about what your LBS has to say. There is nothing wrong with your bike frame. They just want to sell you 20+K worth of new bike.

Enjoy. Disc rocks!

There you go :thumbup:

so basically all you needed was new disk brakes and brake levers?

i looked into the v to disc conversion early last year, it can add up starting from scratch and the final improvement wasn't worth the money in my mind.

when the wheels are toast then i'll most likely switch.