Easiest way to replace broken cable stop

Pittstop

Hi all

Is their another way other than welding on a new cable stop, for the gear cable, for the front derailleur?

I've done it by using the fitting which used to attach where the down tube shifters on older road bikes were. Was a hell of a job 'though. The fitting normally bolts through the downtube and on the old bikes there was a square "nut" welded to the frame on each side to stop the cable torque turning the whole thing. I only used one side so I cut a small square piece of aliminum which I unsuccessfully tried to chemically weld with epoxies and superglues before finally tapping the tube and using 4 small grub screws to attach it. I then pop rivited the fitting on. Worked well but as I said was one hell of a job. I really underestimated the force generated in the cable when shifting.

Some of the old derailleur systems had loose components that bolted to the downtube for such eventualities - I can't think of the brand now. Soloped Cycles in Bree Street have boxes of old *** that may suit the requirements. Depends, of course, on the size of your downtube. Otherwise, if it doesn't have to be too neat, maybe you could jemmy something with one of those worm-and-tooth hose connectors?

Post a photo of the problem area please. I'm sure with a pic the combined wisdom here will solve the problem. I'm thinking continuous cable housing but lets see the problem area first.