Deemax vs DTswiss Fr6.1/CK

banna

A guestion for you gents who've been in the DH/FR scene for a while. How does Mavic Deemax's compare to a custom built wheelset e.g. Chris King hubs with DTswiss FR6.1 rims etc. Luv to hear your comments.

I know that Cap is rolling deemax wheels on his M9. He'll be able to give you an opinion on them. As for the CK/DT Swiss customs... I don't know of anyone who may be rolling something fancy like that.

Weight wise, the Deemax are supposed to be some of the lightest wheels (for their strength) on the market.

1965g for a pair of Ultimates

2160g for a pair of Standard.

I'm not what the customs will weigh in at.

As far as price goes;

A set of Deemax Ultimate UST (Yellow ones) will be around R8500 (based on CRC price + VAT)...if you can source them. CRC says they don't ship out of the EU, but some guys have had success there.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/42077.jpg

A set of Deemax UST (Silver like Cap has) will be around R6290

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/30816.jpg

Based on a CRC custom build with CK ISO hubs, DT Swiss FR 600 Rims, DB St/Steel spokes and brass nipples... you're looking at around R7620

So funny enough, the custom built option is cheaper than Deemax Ultimates, but over 1k more than the standard Deemax

Edited by patches

Ja, I was looking at those standard Deemax's, because I've got the Mavic Crossmax's on my Zula and I luv those. Looking at a new set of wheels for my Intense. But now a lot of people are saying it's better to have a custom set built? I've never had a custom wheelset, so I'm a bot of a newbie on that front.

I think you're better off building a custom set. No only are you able to get better, more reliable hubs than the Mavic's but you'll be able to get spares for them easier and at reasonable prices. If you're looking for a no fuss wheelset there isn't much better than a Hope Pro2 hub mated to a EX832 UST rim with some DT spokes tying the two together. If you're a weight weenie and aren't too hard on your wheels then the Stans Flow rims are worth considering, I am running these at the moment on a Makulu with GREAT results! Either way I think you can get better value and performance by going the custom route.

Ja, I was looking at those standard Deemax's, because I've got the Mavic Crossmax's on my Zula and I luv those. Looking at a new set of wheels for my Intense. But now a lot of people are saying it's better to have a custom set built? I've never had a custom wheelset, so I'm a bot of a newbie on that front.

yeah, a custom built set is rather nice. I have a custom built set on my DH bike and a factory set on my jump/4X bike.

The customs are Spank Spike rims laced to Hope Pro II's with DT Swiss DB St/St spokes.

The factory wheels are Nukeproof Generator AMs (which I got as a cheaper option to another custom build).

The Spank wheels are amazing... but I must say that the nukeproofs are pretty impressive themselves (even though they're 2k cheaper than my other set) and I've heard a lot of good things about them... even to the point where I've been told their hubs are so good that spending money upgrading to another custom Hope Pro II set won't really be worth it...

that said though... I love that Hope sound... and my next wheel set will be custom biult for sure!

Edited by patches

Tx gents. It sounds like custom is the way to go. Then you basically select the best of each component to build your wheel.

yeah, a custom built set is rather nice. I have a custom built set on my DH bike and a factory set on my jump/4X bike.

The customs are Spank Spike rims laced to Hope Pro II's with DT Swiss DB St/St spokes.

The factory wheels are Nukeproof Generator AMs (which I got as a cheaper option to another custom build).

The Spank wheels are amazing... but I must say that the nukeproofs are pretty impressive themselves (even though they're 2k cheaper than my other set) and I've heard a lot of good things about them... even to the point where I've been told their hubs are so good that spending money upgrading to another custom Hope Pro II set won't really be worth it...

that said though... I love that Hope sound... and my next wheel set will be custom biult for sure!

Where did you get your Spank's from?

I've heard of this mavic hub issue before, but similarly, i've heard ppl convey horror stories about their avid brakes, yet I've never had any one of those issues befall me. Jinx magnetism aside, no issues with my deemax wheelset either. If something does break now, it's just down to pure abuse. I'm not a light rider, and something of a hack rider to boot. Couple that with the very low pressures i tend to run, and the bashes those rims have taken, i'd reckon they pretty damn robust.

I also have a 'training' wheelset comprising 823s laced to Hope Pro 2's. Faultless too.

Bottom line, I cant fault either wheelset at all. Given my experience with these wheelsets, go with what's cheaper.

Edited by Jarek Wysocki

I've heard of this mavic hub issue before, but similarly, i've heard ppl convey horror stories about their avid brakes, yet I've never had any one of those issues befall me. Jinx magnetism aside, no issues with my deemax wheelset either. If something does break now, it's just down to pure abuse. I'm not a light rider, and something of a hack rider to boot. Couple that with the very low pressures i tend to run, and the bashes those rims have taken, i'd reckon they pretty damn robust.

I also have a 'training' wheelset comprising 823s laced to Hope Pro 2's. Faultless too.

Bottom line, I cant fault either wheelset at all. Given my experience with these wheelsets, go with what's cheaper.

Thx Jarek. Ja it looks like getting the Deemax's into SA is a bit of an issue, so going the custom route is possibly the easier route. What's the verdict out there on the DT Swiss FR/DH rims? Any good? I know Patches talks highly about the Spank's, but you might have to bring that in yourself via CRC, whereas the DT Swiss is freely available here.

My Chris King hubs are 6 or 7 years old. Can't remember anymore. They're still on the original bearings. The sealed bearings themselves are serviceable. The wheels have been serviced 3 times in that time.

Combine that with the ringdrive mechanism(as opposed to ratchet and pawl) in the freewheel and you have a set of hubs that will last you 20 years.

My Chris King hubs are 6 or 7 years old. Can't remember anymore. They're still on the original bearings. The sealed bearings themselves are serviceable. The wheels have been serviced 3 times in that time.

Combine that with the ringdrive mechanism(as opposed to ratchet and pawl) in the freewheel and you have a set of hubs that will last you 20 years.

I guess the product speaks for itself. Can't really argue against that. You pay more, but you certainly also get more.

Thx Jarek. Ja it looks like getting the Deemax's into SA is a bit of an issue, so going the custom route is possibly the easier route. What's the verdict out there on the DT Swiss FR/DH rims? Any good? I know Patches talks highly about the Spank's, but you might have to bring that in yourself via CRC, whereas the DT Swiss is freely available here.

theres a set for sale on the hub :thumbup:

keep in mind that the deemax is dh race wheels...... For 2010 the shaved approx 500g of aset of wheels, thus they are not as bom proof as previosly. The idea was to rather let the wheel buckle and twist before you get a flat etc. As mentioned they are made for racing and would probably need regullar truing.

keep in mind that the deemax is dh race wheels...... For 2010 the shaved approx 500g of aset of wheels, thus they are not as bom proof as previosly. The idea was to rather let the wheel buckle and twist before you get a flat etc. As mentioned they are made for racing and would probably need regullar truing.

Thx. Ja, I think you guys have convinced me to rather go the custom route (Hope hubs, spank/dt swiss rims etc). Not interested in a set of race wheels. Just want a rugged set of wheels that can take the punch, especially since I'm just starting in FR, and will probably make many stupid mistakes (i.e hard landings etc) in the beginning.

Banna: u want the blingbling colors offered by DT Swiss or Spank? Not jibing at all,just asking cos if u looking for bombproof and available, then the UST compatible mavic EX823s are available here. I had mine built up by Action Cycling. Superb set of rims for racing or practice.

Pappa Bear: i think that shaving of weight translated into their top product, the Deemax Ultimates (Black and yellow). I totally agree with you though, that unless you've deep pockets, or a sponsorship, those Ultimates are not the best way to go Also, they dont really buckle that quickly, it's just the sidewalls give abit to take the bashes, but they dont slip the UST bead (or they are not supposed to anyway).

JW, have you had any issues with your freehub? All Mavic MTB wheels use the same freehub body, and several people have complained about it being rubbish (me included). I ride a pair of cheap CrossRides on my 5.5, and replaced the freehub body after about 2500km. It was making weird whirry sounds and slipping, combined with play because of the soft PU shim wearing out. A new one fixed the funny sounds and play, but guess what, it still slips occasionally. I've never heard of a CK hub slipping, ever.

Deemaxes are nice (I certainly wouldn't mind!), but I think CK hubs are on a different level.