Ibis working on a 29er

Chubba

Ibis working on a 29er

Link

For all the Ibis fans out there, that’s looking at getting a 29er, you will be glad to know they are busy working on a 29er DW-link full susser. Would be awesome if they make a Tranny 29er as well.

Direct from Ibis :

We have made no secret that we are working on a 29″ wheeled suspension bike. As a result, there has been a lot of speculation about when we will release it and what features it will have.

With the Mojo, the Mojo SL, the Tranny and the HD we’ve set a standard that we feel obliged to meet or surpass with each new bike. With each new bike we release, we’re in competition with ourselves, a challenge we don’t take lightly. We want to produce the best bike we possibly can.

It takes a lot of time and effort to do this, and we don’t think that our loyal Ibis fans would accept anything less.

Here’s a little bit of information about our process:

After we decide among ourselves what kind of a bike we want to build and how we want it to ride, Dave Weagle of dw-link fame is consulted on the suspension requirements. This is a big and important step in and of itself. From there we develop gestural drawings with Roxy, our designer. Then we bring those sketches into a CAD program and develop them further with our engineer Colin and Roxy working together. When we’ve got a lot of that work complete, we go 3D. Colin and Roxy begin to work with our ace CAD jockeys and refine, optimize and beautify over and over, until we get the functionality, performance and aesthetic we demand.

In the case of the Mojo that came out in 2005, this was a three year process that cost us half-a-million dollars, and 1900 hours of time on the CAD machine. We’ve gotten better and faster, but it’s still by no means a fast process.

When we began development on the 29er over two-and-a-half years ago, we decided we wanted to try some things that have never been tried before. The frame is going to be very lightweight and will have some revolutionary features. It will be the most technologically advanced frame we have ever done.

Here’s what we can tell you right now. We hope you understand and we appreciate your patience.

It will not be ready this riding season.

We hope to have the first prototype by Eurobike (Sept 1ish).

It’s going to be carbon fiber and dual suspension.

It will be very lightweight.

It will feature the dw-link suspension.

We’re stoked so many of you have expressed an interest in our upcoming 29er, so we wanted to let you know where it stands. We won’t have you riding it this season, but stay tuned–it will be worth the wait!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I waited and not bought a 29er like the other 90%! Now I can have one of these :clap:

Glad I waited and not bought a 29er like the other 90%! Now I can have one of these :clap:

Agreed. There is no way that they have perfected the 29er yet. They have only been mainstream for 2 years max. Im in the same boat as you. Ill wait until they have had a good few years to experiment with the geo's, materials and most importantly the feedback from the market.

Agreed. There is no way that they have perfected the 29er yet.

Most companies are still trying to nail the 26'er!

It will be!

I better start saving! (Time to break the news to the dog, that hes getting normal dog biscuits from now on.)

Most companies are still trying to nail the 26'er!

Beg to differ................Morewood Zula :)

• 2 months later...

It does not look like an Ibis. Which is a good thing. Now it looks like every other Taiwanese frame.