Pretoria East - New Bike Park

OneMac

I've been there once... probably about 3 months ago.

When we started off I was really impressed. They've cut some really cool singletrack running up and down the ridge. Nothing hectic but some nice short, steep and relatively technical climbs. Started off thinking that we would go there more often as 10 km there would probably be equal to 30 km out on the railway road so adding it to a long ride would add quite a bit of intensity to it.

However, as we rode on things started to go downhill (pun intended). There are some sections that were just not rideable (IMO) where we pushed our bikes through rock gardens for extended periods of time. Look, I'm no Burry Stander but would think of myself as having decent technical skills and those sections were just not rideable. The other thing that was scary as hell was all the snakes. In the few kms that we rode there we saw 4 snakes. Not sure what kind (I'm not a fan) but they were big. I know I'm sounding like a little girl, but if you go there, just be aware... The last straw was that halfway through the trail just disappeared and we got completely lost carrying our bikes through the rocky terrain until we found a trail again.

We haven't gone back since and I'm not planning to go any time soon. It's an awesome piece of land and based on some of the trails that are there it has massive potential, but getting lost and struggling to get back to the start just broke the camel's back.

Edited by Squier

I've been there once... probably about 3 months ago.

When we started off I was really impressed. They've cut some really cool singletrack running up and down the ridge. Nothing hectic but some nice short, steep and relatively technical climbs. Started off thinking that we would go there more often as 10 km there would probably be equal to 30 km out on the railway road so adding it to a long ride would add quite a bit of intensity to it.

However, as we rode on things started to go downhill (pun intended). There are some sections that were just not rideable (IMO) where we pushed our bikes through rock gardens for extended periods of time. Look, I'm no Burry Stander but would think of myself as having decent technical skills and those sections were just not rideable. The other thing that was scary as hell was all the snakes. In the few kms that we rode there we saw 4 snakes. Not sure what kind (I'm not a fan) but they were big. I know I'm sounding like a little girl, but if you go there, just be aware... The last straw was that halfway through the trail just disappeared and we got completely lost carrying our bikes through the rocky terrain until we found a trail again.

We haven't gone back since and I'm not planning to go any time soon. It's an awesome piece of land and based on some of the trails that are there it has massive potential, but getting lost and struggling to get back to the start just broke the camel's back.

You had me keen to go up until you said snakes... Still tempted tho haha

• 11 months later...

I'm planning on going the route towards here, tomorrow morning sometime. If I decide to do Hedianga, I'll post an update on the status of the plot, though I'm figuring that by now it'd have some major developments since the last post in this thread. It has been a year already. ;)

I'm planning on going the route towards here, tomorrow morning sometime. If I decide to do Hedianga, I'll post an update on the status of the plot, though I'm figuring that by now it'd have some major developments since the last post in this thread. It has been a year already. ;)

Morning - yes please keep us updated.

Thanks.

Well...I did the courses. Keep in mind that I've only been using my Mountain Bike (road cycling purposes) for 4 months now; I am no professional. Hereby my honest review/opinion =

Jury: Hiker's dream, Mountain Biker's nightmare.

It's massive. A very big plot with 2 - 3 trails, though not for mountain biking. I may be no seasoned cyclist but it does not take a professional cyclist to differentiate a mountain biking trail from an alleged (fake) mountain bike trail. I personally feel very disappointed for having gone there in the first place, for several reasons:

• At the beginning, the sand on the trail is almost too thick to ride. I just-just managed to ride through it without slipping. This is not for mountain bikers in my opinion.
  • If your trail is not too sandy, it would definitely be too rocky/steep (sometimes both) to pioneer with a mountain bike, unless you're closely related to our Burry Stander.
  • If you don't have clip-in/metal pedals, do not do this course as you'll continually smash them against the rocks in the way, which you at times just can't avoid.
  • You better be a maestro in the art of momentum, because most uphills are too rocky for you to pass if you're not going at a constant speed.
  • Chances are thin that you'd get lost.

If you're looking to amplify your obstacle skills on two wheels, you are more than welcome to go to this park. Regardless of that, it's still way better suited for the hiker than the cyclist. There are only two vertical drops, of which I didn't do either. The rock-gardens were so full-on that I had to push nearly 70% of the whole course!! That's why I am not going back there soon, if ever. I met a Moslem guy at the gate as I left the plot, and told him that I did not have a pleasant ride, stating that I had to walk with my bike through most of the course because it was unrideable. He said that they are "planning on building bridges at the hardest parts to make it easier on us." But only time will tell if that's going to happen.

But yeah, if you're a real professional, you CAN do the course. Not necessarily enjoy it. I know I didn't.

Well...I did the courses. Keep in mind that I've only been using my Mountain Bike (road cycling purposes) for 4 months now; I am no professional. Hereby my honest review/opinion =

Jury: Hiker's dream, Mountain Biker's nightmare.

It's massive. A very big plot with 2 - 3 trails, though not for mountain biking. I may be no seasoned cyclist but it does not take a professional cyclist to differentiate a mountain biking trail from an alleged (fake) mountain bike trail. I personally feel very disappointed for having gone there in the first place, for several reasons:

• At the beginning, the sand on the trail is almost too thick to ride. I just-just managed to ride through it without slipping. This is not for mountain bikers in my opinion.
  • If your trail is not too sandy, it would definitely be too rocky/steep (sometimes both) to pioneer with a mountain bike, unless you're closely related to our Burry Stander.
  • If you don't have clip-in/metal pedals, do not do this course as you'll continually smash them against the rocks in the way, which you at times just can't avoid.
  • You better be a maestro in the art of momentum, because most uphills are too rocky for you to pass if you're not going at a constant speed.
  • Chances are thin that you'd get lost.

If you're looking to amplify your obstacle skills on two wheels, you are more than welcome to go to this park. Regardless of that, it's still way better suited for the hiker than the cyclist. There are only two vertical drops, of which I didn't do either. The rock-gardens were so full-on that I had to push nearly 70% of the whole course!! That's why I am not going back there soon, if ever. I met a Moslem guy at the gate as I left the plot, and told him that I did not have a pleasant ride, stating that I had to walk with my bike through most of the course because it was unrideable. He said that they are "planning on building bridges at the hardest parts to make it easier on us." But only time will tell if that's going to happen.

But yeah, if you're a real professional, you CAN do the course. Not necessarily enjoy it. I know I didn't.

Great feedback Xiper - thanks.

Appreciate the effort, was wondering if they had improved or changed anything.

Great feedback Xiper - thanks.

Appreciate the effort, was wondering if they had improved or changed anything.

You're welcome. (: Glad to be helping the cycling community out. I don't mean to be entirely negative with that post, so look upon it at a critic's angle.

Edited by Xiper

Hi all. I live about 1 km away from Hedianga. Couple of things about the place.

1) The guy at the gate is Jewish, not Muslim. There is a massive difference. The jamaca (spelling) is a sure giveaway. His name is Gabriel and he is the owner.

2) It isn't the best for MTB. I have ridden there several times and I call it the " Hedianga hell ride" it's hard and there is some hike a bike. I can ride 80% of the course but given I have a 150mm AM bike.

3) It is great for hiking and running and dog walking

4) If you want to go and get your tech skills on, go to Hedianga. For a cruise around, your at the wrong place.

Gabriel is doing what he can there with limited knowledge. He isn't a MTB rider, he is a farmer that has given his land for us, runners, riders etc. so give the place a break.

It's not for everyone. You need to be confident in your tech skills to ride. It is similar to the magalies berg terrain it will eat you. That said a Friday afternoon quickie is awesome as I live close by.

PS. It is safe. My wife walks the dogs regularly there and hasn't seen any strange guys around. I have run there every week and haven't seen any guys.

My 2 cents.

I love Hedianga but not for riding, great place for trail walking / running and Gabriel very helpful when I took a team of 50 international students for a retreat day. Riding too technical for me but its a great place so maybe overtime riding trails will develop better. Great to have a safe outdoor place close to home.