Bye bye Powertap,SRM Hello Garmin Vector

Is Garmin bringing power to the people. Power transmitted from the pedals. This must surely be a serious threat to Powertap and SRM.

If they get it right this will revolutionize cycling and if the price is right, make training with power a reality for avid cyclists.Can independently read power from each pedal. No more tied down to a particular wheelset (Powertap).

Can't wait. Rumoured to be released this year and competitors are getting nervous

Edited by capeofstorms

The latest rumour seems to be that the Polar will cost around $2500 for pedals and PM (no head unit) and the Garmin will be $1500 for the pedals and PM (unsure whether this will include head unit).

If Polar persists with their propriety Wearlink protocol and refuse to adopt ANT+ as they have in the past, then they have once again shot themselves in the foot.

The memory of having to send our units away to have a battery replaced is still fresh in our minds

Garmin would enormously get my vote. The difference in useability of Garmin and Polar is stark. The Garmin units and Connect SaaS is phenomenal. Reckon Polar will be left out in the cold. (har har).

I see on DC Rainmakers site that Cycleops also now have a heart rate belt power device - basically you set it up once with a FTP type test and it then does calculations, about +/-5% accurate. Sends info to headunit via ANT+. Looks promising !

Cycleops have also revamped their hubs and head units, one also now features a gps built in ala edge 500.

Also interesting to see Polar and Suunto working on new multisport gps watches, they really have missed that boat !

Not sure but think Polar has brought one out ? Should be on DC Rainmaker's site

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Another advantage that Garmin has over any other potential competitor is pricing. They bought a company called Metrigear which has already developed the technology for power based pedals.

What this means is that far less money is spent on R&D and they could then be competitive on their pricing. As for Powertap, IMO they history. Maintenance is a nightmare. With the power based pedals, it can easliy be transferred from training to racing bike or MTB for that matter

Lets wait and see how Garmin launch the product. Some things I wonder what pedal will they use? I read some rumours they are connected to Exustar pedals (team Garmin riders have been seen using them). Perhaps they will buy Exustar? This could mean you need to use "Garmin" pedals with their power meter.

You can't make a HR based powermeter - only a HR based powerguesser.

Quark was bought by SRAM. If I understood right, Quark power will soon only be on SRAM cranks.

hmmm would kinda kill it if I had to ride Exhustar <_<

Yep the HR power meter is dodgy, but from what I read it was actually very accurate compared to powertap units. The idea seems to be more about getting a base reading to see improvements or decline in power than measuring in 1sec intervals, this does about 60sec intervals it seems.

Quark was bought by SRAM. If I understood right, Quark power will soon only be on SRAM cranks.

I recall reading that they plan to phase out non-SRAM Quarqs over the next two years.

• 2 months later...
Guest agteros

Damn duplicate hub thread... old DC Rainmaker article... What is new here?

My thread from last week at least had a link to the Garmin announcement thumbup1.gif