Crossmark/Monorail MTB Tyres ???

limosine

I know there was a thread a while ago on this but I cannot find it. People said that a Maxxis Crossmark on the backwheel and a Maxxis Monorail on the frontwheel is a better combination than Crossmark front and back. Please give me your advice on this.

Yep, that's a winning combination. I run my steed like that. Did Tokai singletrack on Tuesday with Nico Phitzemaier and kept up to the man down the fast singletrack. Tyre pressure is key though. 1.6 - 1.8

I know there was a thread a while ago on this but I cannot find it. People said that a Maxxis Crossmark on the backwheel and a Maxxis Monorail on the frontwheel is a better combination than Crossmark front and back. Please give me your advice on this.

Don't think there's a right answer for everyone. I put 2.1 crossmark lust on front and back before S2C this year and loved them. Fast on the flats and climbs and magic for me on the singletrack. I'm not going to scare anyone with my single track speed however... Struggled in the mud a bit last weekend but I would have struggled with tractor tyres.

Run monorail front and crossmark back at Joberg2C and loved it! Use to run crossmark front and back (sounds like a song I heard on 5fm). Problem I found was that crossmark didn't grip lekker in corners. The monorail overcame these fears and I can highly recommend this setup.

Did some research myself before investing 500 big ones in monorail and found the guys from Mankele's comments on MTB review (or some other site). They apparently swear by monorail front and back.

Save yourself the heartsore.... Conti Race King rear and Mountain King font. Prob solved. :thumbup:

I've just been forced to repalce a Nevegal, which i liked, in a hurry, stole an old tire form the wife, she wouldn't let me steal her brand new racing ralph. So i ended up with a second hand Maxxis Larsen TT. Very surprised at how good it was.

I have a crossmark on the front with a kenda excavator on the back, and they work fine together

Earler this year i had a set of excavators that i ran tubeless and was very happy with them but unfortunately i received a nasty cut and i switched to crossmarks front and rear (lust) but findind the rear to lose traction alot more ... But overall a awesome tyre

Edited by rwa.basson

Replaced a Conti MK / RK combo with Monorail / Crossmark for this yrs Sani2C. Absolutely love it. Was a bit concerned by traction ability of Crossmark, but it handled the descent down into the Umko perfectly. Haven't done any sludgy mud yet, but I doubt it will be any worse than MK / RK. Hell of impressed.

Also MK's can't be run low pressure for some reason - no probs with lower pressures on the Monorail.

I run monorail fron, crossmark back. Supurb tyres! The guys in the know say the tread pattern on the monorail is better at dispersing mud out to the side which helps with control. The crossmark has better traction but tends to clog up a bit, thus running it in the monorails path helps.

Mono front

Cross back

That's how its gotta be done!

I run monorail fron, crossmark back. Supurb tyres! The guys in the know say the tread pattern on the monorail is better at dispersing mud out to the side which helps with control. The crossmark has better traction but tends to clog up a bit, thus running it in the monorails path helps.

Mono front

Cross back

That's how its gotta be done!

Just doubt that the rear will track in the front tyre's path for more than about 5% - 10% of the time, so a bit of a moot point. Just check your tyre tracks next time you are out on the road, even a flat straight dirt road.

• 3 weeks later...

my crossmark came to its death(eventualy)last week.put a monorail upfront and still running crossmark at the back.much better for my riding style.after one weeks riding will state that this package is better than crossmark front and back.

I ran Crossmarks front and rear for a while - but once you really start pushing your bike into corners, the front steps out faster than you can unclip...

I don't mind the rear stepping out a little - gives you that 'flat-out, foot-out feeling'.

Currently running Small block 8 rear and Wolverine front - good combination of speed on the flats, climbing in both wet and dry and railing singletrack corners.

Does anyone have feedback on running the Ignitor on the front - thinking about buying some off CRC - it appears to have a more pronounced tread pattren than the Crossmarks and Monorails

Does anyone have feedback on running the Ignitor on the front - thinking about buying some off CRC - it appears to have a more pronounced tread pattren than the Crossmarks and Monorails

I'm running an ignitor / crossmark combo. Haven't used the monorail so I can't directly compare, but I haven't had any issues with grip on the Ignitor. It's behaved predictably in the wet and dry on all sorts of surfaces. And it looks a helluva lot better than the monorail :D

Also running monorail on the front and crossmarx at the back.. Awesome in dry weather. If its rained the night before and there is alot of mud the following day, the monorail will make your ride a little more interesting than you want :)