Cracked Frame

SilverCracker

Good Day,

I have a 2008 Silverback Nebraska hard tail. It is a very light and therefore quite agile MTB. Never had a problem with any of the standard components fitted to the bike.

The one problem I do have is the sturdiness of the frame. My frame at the time was 6ft1inch 101kg, the bike is a size L

The 2008 frame cracked in 2009. Silverback replaced it with a 2008 frame. In 2010 it cracked again at the same place as before. After signing an indemnity form stating I do not jump from roofs has never done any downhill with the bike, they replaced it with a 2010 model.

I do not do any extreme riding, jumping or downhill adventures with the bike. The most riding will be for fun on rocky/dirt roads and sometimes even city riding.

Am I just punishing the frame too hard? Or is it prone to happen to these bikes?

post-25888-0-22094600-1308308487.jpg

Edited by SilverCracker

well i'm just guessing here, but with it cracking at the weld it would be a manufacturing default, and the fact that it has happened twice can mean that it was just bad luck that it happened to you or this could be a general weakness in the 2008 frames? will be interesting to hear if someone else has had the same problem, as i myself am 6ft and 95kg but ride a xl merida

Could be the 101kg. Maybe you are too heavy for the frame.

surly they should have a weight limit advertised then? like certain wheels have limits?

surly they should have a weight limit advertised then? like certain wheels have limits?

Did you ride past a mirror? Silverbacks often crack when they see their paintjobs.

Did you ride past a mirror? Silverbacks often crack when they see their paintjobs.

hahaha

Nice username!

A nice lesson to all those bike snobs out there. A Saffer brand, from Germany, made in Taiwan that gives great back up and honours their replacement warranty. Btw what's your favourite brand, Uncle Cracker?

You most likely ride a Spaghetti frame with a Pasta Wheelset and Parmesan groupset, made in the same factory as the Silverback!

Thanks, the name is due to the repeated cracked Silverback frames.

My fav brand will remain Silverback, due to the warrantee and willingness to help an injured frame.

Edited by SilverCracker