What software for heart rate based training?

Hi,

I did a bit of research and narrowed it down to the following applications.

1. Garmin Training center

2. Golden Cheetah

3. WKO+

4. SportTracks

Note that training is based on Heart rate. Which is the best application to use to drill down into the data. For example for a section of a ride I want to know what my average and max heart was. What the average speed and average caedence for that same section is.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I did a bit of research and narrowed it down to the following applications.

1. Garmin Training center

2. Golden Cheetah

3. WKO+

4. SportTracks

Note that training is based on Heart rate. Which is the best application to use to drill down into the data. For example for a section of a ride I want to know what my average and max heart was. What the average speed and average caedence for that same section is.

What HRM do you use and what O.S?

Hi,

I'm using Garmin Edge 500 and Windows(XP).

I use Garmin Connect online and it works fairly well. Run Mac OS so cannot get Sportstracks to work but i have used it before and it is very good, as there is more functionality for analysis.

Haven't used the other items mentioned.

I absolutely love GarminConnect. Cloud-based, SaaS so from a technical point of view it's kinda sexy, while it provides all the slice n dice I could ever want for my funriding activities. Easy to use as well, especially on PC. Setting it up for my wife on her Mac was a nightmare, nothing seems to work properly on a Mac. Actually, I've given her Mac a nickname: That effing Mac!!

what would you guys recommend for a Garmin 405 and used offline? I just gave my GF my old Laptop but she doesn't have any interwebs at her home.

what would you guys recommend for a Garmin 405 and used offline? I just gave my GF my old Laptop but she doesn't have any interwebs at her home.

i use Garmin connect with my 405:

Garmin Connect Online

fanie, if/when you do get online, also d/l and evaluate SportTracks. I prefer it above GTC - but it's a personal choice.

SportTracks - I keep telling you! Offline, customizable and much much more detailed than GTC or Garmin Connect.

You can customize your reports, install plugins, import data

There are developers sitting around just waiting to hear from you, if they can design any new plug-ins that does not already exist. That is the beauty of ST, if you dont like something, there is someone that will change it for you.

With Garmin, we have been pissing and moaning for years and nothing has changed. It took them over 4 years to give you the option of choosing the start day of the week.

Maybe some pictures will help ....

post-4352-0-00164500-1308579941.jpg

Ave heart rate for the selected period.

Time of selected period.

etc ect ect ... all you want bud!

Apparently there is no science or basis for using heart rate as a measure of fitness, so then it must be a pointless measure for training. Don't waste your time.