looking for a fast-ish group to push my skill level

Audible Anarchy

hi all

i live in parkhurst jhb and im looking for a group to ride with during the week in order to help push my speed / skill up a notch - essentially looking for a "b group" type pace around 30-35 km/ avg.

ive heard through the club about groups of guys who ride from the engen n main rd in bryanston as well as a group that rides from oxford road in illovo .

anyone else join on these rides?

pls keep in mind i am not looking to get pummeled into the ground by licenced riders who average 37 km/+ - i just feel riding with some new, slightly stronger folks will help push me to the next level?

any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Audible Anarchy

Hi, I am looking for week-end rides at that pace. How/where do you ride on the week-ends?

thanks

Andre

hi andre

saturdays and sundays are usually around 2h30 - 3h30 long.

dpending on whats happening workwise. i ride with cycle lab 4ways on saturdays mostly, unless i have to work early in which case i train the popular randburg,linden,northcliff, emmerentia,mellville,westcliff,rosebank route. as its close to home.

sundays i usually hook up with a local group of guys and distances / routes change quite often, very mixed bunch of guys n girls -

sometimes out to the airport, sometimes the west rand - kyalami - depends.

as i mentioned in my post, just looking for some guys who also want to push their pace a bit.

always looking for more cycling buddies, the more the merrier !

hey dude

there is a ride every monday, wednesday and friday morning. the guys at dunkeld cycles organise it. There are a different groups for different skill levels. I havent riden with them as it is a bit of a mission to get them so early in the morning, but now that I am moving to Parkhurst I will probably be joining them :clap: . so maybe go have a chat to merlyn or mark at the shop to get some details

hey dude

there is a ride every monday, wednesday and friday morning. the guys at dunkeld cycles organise it. There are a different groups for different skill levels. I havent riden with them as it is a bit of a mission to get them so early in the morning, but now that I am moving to Parkhurst I will probably be joining them :clap: . so maybe go have a chat to merlyn or mark at the shop to get some details

oh i forget to mention that the meet at the spar in Parkurst and ride around the area, they do about 40 to 50 kms - I think? but dont quote me on that :unsure:

Engen Group is a good one, also known as "Surf and Turf"

Speak to the guys at Dunkeld Cycles in your area as well, believe they have a few hard and fast rides too.

ive gone with the dunkeld group quite a few times, nice group - they really helped push me to where i am now.however i reckon i need a little faster though. hence me thinking of joining the engen group or the illovo group (ICG).

only prob is to ride to bryanston / illovo to be there by 5am! ouch

im aiming for a 2h45 94.7 at the end of the year so need guys that push that sort of pace.

to give an idea of my level im at now- i rode the fountains 90+ race on thursday in 2h50 if that helps?

@ straycat - when you move to the "hurst" give us a shout! lots of cyclists in the area.

AA what was your time at last years 94.7?

i had an accident in 2004 with a truck, so i stopped road cycling and racing for a long time,just sticking to messing about on the mtb, ive been back on the road bike now for 6 months. my last one on 2004 was a 2h40. i ride on average 10-14 hrs a week.

erm, results so far this year - i did a 40 at tarlton, aswell as a 70 at the vaal where i placed top 25, and then the fountains stpry last week where i came 90th.

what sort of goal time should i be looking at for 94.7? im sure the route has gotten a lil harder over the years?

I ride with ICG and have done times ranging from 2:25 to 2:42 for the 94.7 (or whatever distance it is depending on that years route).

Attaining your 2:45 riding with ICG should be pretty attainable.

@ straycat - when you move to the "hurst" give us a shout! lots of cyclists in the area.

Hey dude

Yeah getting super stoked to be moving to parkhurst!

Seen lots of guys riding around the area so it would be great to join up with some of the guys and make some new mates

I ride with ICG and have done times ranging from 2:25 to 2:42 for the 94.7 (or whatever distance it is depending on that years route).

Attaining your 2:45 riding with ICG should be pretty attainable.

sounds like thats a plan i reckon. what is the average speed? what group do you ride with?

will i need a towrope? :lol: hahaha

sounds like thats a plan i reckon. what is the average speed? what group do you ride with?

will i need a towrope? :lol: hahaha

You might to start off... ;-)