Going Tubeless...

Andymann

Help! Just bought a set of Wheels with DT Swiss 445 Rims. Going Tubeless, so my LBS supplied a tubeless conversion - 2 plastic bright green rim strips with tubeless valves - unfortunately, no fitting instructions were supplied. Question is - the DT Swiss rims already have quite a tight fitting yellow rim strip already - so - do I need to fit the extra green plastic strips, or can I just stick in the valves?

no you'll need the green stip, it basically forms a nice seal between the tire and the strip. All you'll need to do is slip the strip onto the rim line up the valve hole, stick in your valve. put on your tubeless tire and inflate.

just a hint, use lots of soapy water to help seat the tire, but my advice would be go back to the bike store and get them to show you how to do it, and show you how to know the tire is seated properly, they shouldnt have a issue helping you seeing that you did buy the rim strips there.

If the rim has rim tape, then that serves to seal the holes, you shouldn't need the rim strip. Take a look on www.notubes.com Stan the Man has a few videos up there that are very helpful. Do you have the sealant? UST Tyres?

The 'conversion kit' is really for rims that are no designed to be tubeless afaik.

Edited by kosmonooit

Are those the harder, plastic strips that Ballistic is selling? What sealant did you get? What tyres are you using?

Ok - all the question answered - And did I have fun.... And there are two parts to the day...

Phoned my LBS - they said take the Yellow rim-strip off the DT swiss rims, and slip on the plastic green strips (they were supplied by my LBS out of the wrappers so I have no idea who made them!) - this I did (I would have left them on - must admit). I had Joe's sealant - not my favourite (prefer Stans), but hey it was a new bottle so why not. Put on the Geax Saguaro tyres and did they seal? NFW.... eventually I got them to bead, but what a mission - had to use a compressor and mix in some no-flats - normally with the American Classics, they beaded with a Foot pump...Anyway, they are still up, but I'm not convinced they will stay that way in a race. It looks like the moulding seam on the bead and the DT Swiss rims aren't great mates...

Now part 2 of the story...

Took the new Schwalbe Rocket Ron's off the DT Swiss rims put them on the Classics - hey presto - they sealed instantly, without any sealant (which is how it should be!) *but*, the damn things leak through the sidewalls - tiny tiny holes in the tyre - all around the moulding seam. And when you add sealant, it blows out in a fine mist and also doesn't seal.

LOL - so two MTB's and I couldn't ride either of them this weekend....

Rim strips are for 'conversion' for rims that can't be taped or are not 'tubeless ready' - the rim tape does the job of sealing the spoke holes so I am sorry to tell you but your LBS gave you incorrect information. Did you look at Stans NoTubes web site? there's a lot of info there and the videos are excellent.

To be honest that's what I thought......

Oh well - I'll start from scratch then (after I've gone to the Stan's site!)