Table View Cycle Lanes

flymango

Table View Cycle Lanes  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't you use them? I don't get it!!

• I'm a roadie, not a pavie.
    • Our team is training for the TdF - we need space.
    • I prefer colliding with cars rather than pedestrians.
    • I prefer fixing bones rather than punctures.
    • I don't pay rates and taxes - it's the moral thing to do.
    • I'm a communist and believe the lanes are elitist.
    • None of the above - I also don't get it.

Without fail it always amazes me how many cyclists don't use the new cycle lanes between Table View and Cape Town city centre.

Edited by flymango

I am with you on this one. Some of these guys think is uncool or too slow. One thing is certain - the road with the bus lane is a lot narrower than before, and its their choice to be stupid and get killed on the road. They wil only have themselves to blame!

BTW, I love the lane. I get a puncture every now and then, but you weigh up the options...?!

I rode the lane this morning :thumbup:.

50% of the time I ride it, I end up getting a puncture, but so be it. Yes, it is slower, but my life is worth a little more to me than maintaining a 32km/h average. In fact, looked at this specifically today, I was NOT gunning it and comfortably maintained a 28km/h rolling average, so the "too slow" option is bull!! Take the time out along there, keep the cadence high and legs warm, it you wanna go hard, ride it hard from Bakoven to the top of Chappies and back!! Then tell me its too slow when you are coming home along there ;)

i reckon some guys are just too cool for the rest of civilisation. But i bet they suck in their races. Gonna take my lidcam with when i'm on my way to work. and make a point of shoving it in their faces, and then posting it here. wall o'shame.

It seems to me that there are less people riding on the road these days. Went to paddocks today by car and there were loads of cyclists on the path and i didn't see one on on the road.

We even commented that there was a group +- 8 riders riding on the cycle path.

It seems to me that there are less people riding on the road these days. Went to paddocks today by car and there were loads of cyclists on the path and i didn't see one on on the road.

We even commented that there was a group +- 8 riders riding on the cycle path.

You are correct in that the majority of cyclists use the cycle lane. But even on Saturday I noticed a few individual roadies (tired of getting punctures?) and two groups (can't ride in decent bunches on the lane?), on the road. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious to understand why? In my mind, safety is paramount, and the lanes have been developed at great expense of scarce municipal funds to create the very environment we all seek as cyclists. Hence the reasons for my tongue in cheek questions. Who knows, at some stage in the future it might even be a municipal bye-law that cyclists MUST use the cycle lane or be liable for a fine. And Heaven forbid that there should be an accident between a cyclist and motorist on a stretch of road next to a cycle lane.

I rode these paths for the first time on Friday, absolutely awesome, no cars to worry about, yes some of the crossings took a bit of time and I there was a lot of dirt/mud on the path from the rains but fortunately i was on the cyclocross bike.....

but we beg for these things and then we get them and don't use them - that's just crazy......

I ride them often the only hassle part is from laggon beach to woodbridge island Before and after that they long and nice with no interuptions. Saw a few riders today on the road. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

awhile back, before the lanes, I was nearly taken out by a truck close the boundry road side. I did not go back to ride there for longest time.. until the lanes that is. They rock! And give the rider a unique perspective of the paarden eiland industrial area. I can just get into a meditative state and not freak out about cars. And heading back into the city, with the drivers stuck in traffic, is the best feeling!

On my way home from work last night there was a miserable looking roadie riding on the road heading along the West coast road past the Vlei heading towards Table View area .... a nice wide and safe cycle lane, but this dude insisted on riding on the yellow line and the still without any lights fitted either.

A clear future Darwin awards candidate.

hmm i see a few everyday on the road not on the cycle lane. Been on the bus when it has to stop for a roadie in the middle of the lane as well :eek:

Im supposed to be allowed to start cycling again next week so will be using it B)

Can you imagine the response of motorists when we do not use the lanes? It won't be good. In addition, those who consider the lanes "for the elite" are further fueled to attack us.

We moan all the time for safer cycling conditions; yet when we get them some of us still do not use them. Mmmmmmmm.... :blink:

Can you imagine the response of motorists when we do not use the lanes? It won't be good. In addition, those who consider the lanes "for the elite" are further fueled to attack us.

We moan all the time for safer cycling conditions; yet when we get them some of us still do not use them. Mmmmmmmm.... :blink:

Yip. The motorists from Table View might think cyclists in general are idiots because of the behaviour of a minority (which of course none of us are ;) ). "Seek first to understand, then to be understood". Makes me wonder if Brian Waters' ORIGINAL thread/poll was really so off the mark from his perspective?

Is it legal to cycle on freeways and highways? :unsure:

I plan on cycling from the southern suburbs to the CBD and I will be using the M5 and N2

Edited by heed0