Ball bearings

brad890

please can someone help me, I'm looking for a place in pretoria that sells high quality ball bearings, as for the second time now one or two of the little ball bearings have turned to little squares in my shimano XT hubs (luckily no damage to hubs), bought the bearings about 6 months ago and make sure the hubs are serviced and greased regularly.

have tire bearing man just to be told the dont keep the ball bearings i want in stock will have to order, and need some for this coming weekends nissan race

so any help would be appreciated, sizes i'm looking for are 1/4" and 3/16"

please can someone help me, I'm looking for a place in pretoria that sells high quality ball bearings, as for the second time now one or two of the little ball bearings have turned to little squares in my shimano XT hubs (luckily no damage to hubs), bought the bearings about 6 months ago and make sure the hubs are serviced and greased regularly.

have tire bearing man just to be told the dont keep the ball bearings i want in stock will have to order, and need some for this coming weekends nissan race

Your LBS should have some (provided it's still open)

Your LBS should have some (provided it's still open)

i went that route last time, and these are the bearings that are turning square, although i must admit it was richards bay lol. but will pop round to the LBS here in pretoria and get some as a for now fix for the coming weekend.

but would prefer to get some high grade bearings if one does get higher grade ball bearings? which i'm sure one must, i dont mind paying a little extra for something that's going to last and not destroy my hubs

Any bearing place should have whatever you seek . In the same complex where Merv cycles use to be is a place where I get all my bearing from . No idea what they called .

Are you putting the right amount of each in the proper front and rear BBs?

Yes I'm making sure, following the tec documents to the tee, in terms of what ball bearings and how many goes into each side

Ball bearings are much of a muchness wherever you buy them, unless you need them for some really high tech application which do's not appear to be the case, I would say your problem is related to some other issue.

You dont' say which XT hubs you have but it sounds like the new, rubbish ones with oversize aluminium axles. Their seals are so poor, no amount of servicing can keep the water out.

Nevertheless, if it is the newer hubs, you're looking for 3/16th bearings in grade 25 or better. Bearing balls you buy at Bearing Man and other bearing shops will be grade 100, which is four times poorer quality. On older Shimano MTB hubs, the back ones require 1/4 inch balls and front 3/16th. Most of the time the Bearing Man guys can't even tell you what grade the bearings are. They've never heard of grading.

You can source bearing balls in Grade 5 (five times smoother than Grade 25) but that's a waste on Shimano hubs. Campy hubs are ground to Grade 5 and thus worth the extra money with the smoother balls.

Older XT hubs (and indeed today's SLX hubs) have better seals but the new XT and XTR hubs (Loose hubs and those in their wheels) are absolute rubbish. I recommend you ditch them in favour of SLXs or some other brand.

Shimano bearings purchased in sealed Shimano packets are grade 25. Anything else should be treated with suspiscion.

You dont' say which XT hubs you have but it sounds like the new, rubbish ones with oversize aluminium axles. Their seals are so poor, no amount of servicing can keep the water out.

Nevertheless, if it is the newer hubs, you're looking for 3/16th bearings in grade 25 or better. Bearing balls you buy at Bearing Man and other bearing shops will be grade 100, which is four times poorer quality. On older Shimano MTB hubs, the back ones require 1/4 inch balls and front 3/16th. Most of the time the Bearing Man guys can't even tell you what grade the bearings are. They've never heard of grading.

You can source bearing balls in Grade 5 (five times smoother than Grade 25) but that's a waste on Shimano hubs. Campy hubs are ground to Grade 5 and thus worth the extra money with the smoother balls.

Older XT hubs (and indeed today's SLX hubs) have better seals but the new XT and XTR hubs (Loose hubs and those in their wheels) are absolute rubbish. I recommend you ditch them in favour of SLXs or some other brand.

Shimano bearings purchased in sealed Shimano packets are grade 25. Anything else should be treated with suspiscion.

hi Johan thank you for the reply, in terms of which xt hubs i've got, i've got the M756 hubs, have attached photo's. i do notice though that if the bike gets washed with a pressure spray i always have to re-grease the rear hub as water always gets in by the freehub.

if i where to get new hubs what brand and make would you recommend, seeing that your the wheel guru here on hub and see there strengths and weaknesses when you service them.

and my last question in terms of the ball bearings would i be able to get some through you, i really dont mind paying postage etc. will happily do a eft if you keep them in stock, otherwise will do a bit of phoning around to track some down.

post-13613-0-43663400-1308419109.jpg

post-13613-0-21218800-1308419115.jpg

hi Johan thank you for the reply, in terms of which xt hubs i've got, i've got the M756 hubs, have attached photo's. i do notice though that if the bike gets washed with a pressure spray i always have to re-grease the rear hub as water always gets in by the freehub.

if i where to get new hubs what brand and make would you recommend, seeing that your the wheel guru here on hub and see there strengths and weaknesses when you service them.

and my last question in terms of the ball bearings would i be able to get some through you, i really dont mind paying postage etc. will happily do a eft if you keep them in stock, otherwise will do a bit of phoning around to track some down.

Maybe you should be more careful with the Karcher...

yeah i know that, and i make sure the hubs are always running sooth and are greased, i do it myself its a 5-10min job per wheel and is easy peasy. just the ball bearings themselves dont seem to last, its almost like they flake apart like a jaw breaker with its different layers and turn square per say

Those are good hubs. They have proper seals and other than a poorly aimed Karcher, nothing should get past the seals. They are worth servicing and looking after.

New hubs translate to new wheels and I won't recommend you do that until you've completely given up on those hubs.

I can send you some balls, contact me offline.

Stay way from any pressure spray cleaning method. Just because they use these things at races it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's a disservice arming the local population with Karchers and presenting it as a benefit at the race. Wash your own bike using a bucket and brush.