SCHWINN - MOAB TEAM 2009

chrism123

I am interested in buying this bike. My knowledge is limited and I was wondering if i could get some feedback on the pros and cons. I like the fact that its got a carbon frame. Although its a 2009 model its new and I can get it for R11 000. Give me your thoughts.

post-22320-0-27924500-1308410711.jpg

The Specs:

Frame

Schwinn N'Litened Black Label Carbon with Trail-Tuned geometry and replaceable derailleur hanger.

Fork

Rock Shox Tora SL Air Suspension fork. 80mm travel, Hydraulic damper, lock out and preload adjust

Crank

Shimano FC-M442 Octalink 44/32/22T

Bottom

Bracket Shimano BB-ES25 cartridge, Octalink

Pedal

Wellgo M919 clipless MTB

Derailleur's

SRAM X9 rear, X7 front

Shifters

SRAM X7 Impulse trigger

Cog set

SRAM PG950 9-speed cassette11-32T

Chain

KMC-HG73

Rims

WTB Speed Disc Double wall alloy 32 hole

hubs

Shimano M475 Disc

Spokes

14 G stainless

Tires

Continental Speed King Folding bead 26"x1.95"

Brakes

Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disc

Brake levers

Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disc

Handel bar R

itchey 31.8 MTB 0 rise

Stem

Ritchey 31.8 4-bolt MTB, 84 deg angle

Headset

Integrated 1 1/8"threadless

Grip

Schwinn Approved Kraton rubber Lock on

Saddle

Trail Tuned SL with Cro-mo rails and two tone cover

Seat post

Ritchey 2-bolt MTB

Extras

Alloy Seat Binder

Decent frame, crap fork, wheels and cranks.

Buy this if you want to upgrade over time.

If not, I recommend buying an ali frame with better parts. Carbon is overrated. And remember to insure the bike. Carbon doesn't like getting bashed about or have rocks thrown at it. In terms of structural strength they are strong, but impacts from rocks or falling is it's weakness. No frame gaurantee covers that.

I agree with Phillip, if you want to keep the frame and chuck the parts it could work but thats an expensive excercise.

The frame is not light as far as carbon goes and at this level there's no real benefit above alu, it's basically a R5k generic frame branded as Schwinn from what I understand.

For that money rather look at something in the classifieds or get a good alu bike like a Silverback with XT for about 11k, think its called the Spectra ?

If you really must have carbon rather get a generic frame and spec it to your liking/wallet capacity with new better parts or parts from the hub.

Thanks for the replies. I would upgrade overtime. I will also take a look at the silverback. I am coming off a entry level merida with V Brakes so this bike even without upgrades will be a monumentally better bike.