new bike - struggling to climb short steep uphills

MBee

I have been riding for 5 years and have finally bought myself a new bike. I have noticed that I am struggling to climb short steep uphills, where previously I had no problem on my old bike. my new bike is 2kgs lighter than the old. i am struggling to keep the front wheel on the ground. I have to move right to the front of my saddle to keep it down, and then lose weight and traction on the rear wheel and eventually come to a stop and have to get off my bike. what I would like to know is why this is happening? Why could I climb fine on old bike but not on new one... need to make the correct changes to sort this out.

Perhaps your setup isn't quite right.

Bars too high?

Saddle too far back?

Maybe get the shop that sold you the bike to measure you up and get you set up properly on your new bike.

I have been riding for 5 years and have finally bought myself a new bike. I have noticed that I am struggling to climb short steep uphills, where previously I had no problem on my old bike. my new bike is 2kgs lighter than the old. i am struggling to keep the front wheel on the ground. I have to move right to the front of my saddle to keep it down, and then lose weight and traction on the rear wheel and eventually come to a stop and have to get off my bike. what I would like to know is why this is happening? Why could I climb fine on old bike but not on new one... need to make the correct changes to sort this out.

Try keeping your elbows level or even below your handle bar for one. And if that does not help, try one gear heavier. Lighter gears make it easier to make the front end lift.

The geomatry on the bike sounds like it is different than the other bike. Is the size the same? I would assume so.

+1 on the bike setup thing.

Edited by MJ the mountainbiker

Thanks for the tips! still a 26er!

have moved saddle forward. will check bars.

My frame is bigger on the new bike. went from 17.5" to a large. I am 1.76m. is this the problem?

My frame is bigger on the new bike. went from 17.5" to a large. I am 1.76m. is this the problem?

Could be. It just means you will have to adjust your riding style a bit

You are on a bike thats to big for u. 1.76 u should be on a medium

Sorry to say but it looks like you've bought too big there. I'm 1.79cm and battle to justify a medium even.

The bike lifting is due to being too far back on the bike. Try shifting the saddle forward. Does your fork have some kind of pre-load setting that you can activate on the hills. I ride a long travel bike that lifts on ascents, however I'm able to drop the fork from 165 to 120mm which makes climbing great.

Btw, you should be able to take the bike back. They sold you the incorrect size bike. Refund.

Sounds like the frame is the wrong size for sure. My GF has a similar problem (although her frame is the correct size). Mostly due to the slow speed she does the hills at. we solved the problem by making sure her saddle was in the correct position and also dropped the handlebars a but. You can experience slight backpain for a ride or 2 when you drop the handlebars as you are in a different position. Seems to have helped her. Also dropping the elbows is one that I use a lot.

Get the frame size checked and then the setup. I think your problem lies there... Good Luck

I'm 1.76 and ride a medium, large is too big. stretched out toptube and not enough stand over hight.

I am also 1.76 and need a 58cm top tube.When i was looking for a frame some smalls have a 57.5 tt and some larges are right.

Measure your top tube horizontally from center of your seat post to center of your steerer tube and see where it falls.You shouldn't be longer than around 59cm.