Carbon Handlebars

Morwa

A quick question. I got myself a carbon riser bar. Is it necessary to use carbon paste or the Richey Liquid Torque to fasten the bar at the stem, and the other components to the bar?

I do have a torque wrench and will fasten the components to the specified torque.

A quick question. I got myself a carbon riser bar. Is it necessary to use carbon paste or the Richey Liquid Torque to fasten the bar at the stem, and the other components to the bar?

I do have a torque wrench and will fasten the components to the specified torque.

Tighten it to the rec. torque. If it slips, then you need paste.

You should use the carbon paste if you are going to do things by the book, but that's not to say you wont have problems if you don't

Do carbon handle bars "soften" trail vibrations? Can one acctualy notice it?

It's a very dumb idea on a MTB, I don't care who makes it. Strong carbon is heavy or VERY expensive.

About as much as a 29r hardtail I hear ;)

so the answer is not much?

Not enough to notice the difference....

OH and for the carbon paste, i've never used it (nor a torque wrench) on mine.

Edit:

Used carbon paste on my roadbike seat post and it stopped it from slipping without having to tighten the clamp bolt untill my knuckles turned white.

Edited by SwissVan

It's a very dumb idea on a MTB, I don't care who makes it. Strong carbon is heavy or VERY expensive.

An item is only expensive if you can't afford it, so it should be measured against your pay cheque, and not in general. I think it is dumb to fit an alu handlebar to your bike if the cost of a decent carbon bar is negligible against your financial means. Back to the point - absolutely does it make a diffrence, and a big one.

No. The hbar is waaaaay stiffer than the suspension fork and the air in the tyres.

PS - I don't even think one will notice a difference on a road bike.