Worth havin a DH or FR bike?

mad bout mtb

Worth havin a DH or FR bike?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Sort of bike for riding in JHB

• Downhill bike (8 Inch)
    • Freeride bike(7 inch)
    • Trail/All mountain bike(5inch and up)

Is it worth it to have a DH or FR bike in JHB? I've been considering it but don"t know if i shud get 1. I'll prob only mess around on it and maybe do a race or 2. Or shud i just stick to my AM bike?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just get a rockshox reverb dropper post for your AM bike. If your AM bike has 6 inches of travel front and back and a short stem it can probably do most of the DH trails in the country, so unless you want a specific DH bike as a 2nd bike then stick with the AM bike.

Agree with NH on that one. The saddle height has alot to do with descending capability, purely because you can get FAR further back with a lower saddle. If your current "AM" machine is actually a trail bike (5 inch) then consider upping the travel on the front or shelling out for a sixer.

Also - shorten your stem.

Guest Omega Man

No. You 2 are wrong. You can never have enough bikes. I'd want a DH rig if I lived in Fargo.

No. You 2 are wrong. You can never have enough bikes. I'd want a DH rig if I lived in Fargo.

Holy crap! After That Movie, I'd rather have an enema than live in Fargo.

HAHAHA yeah dude i agree ... in a perfect world a bike for every discipline would be ace .. but if you on a budget just get a reverb for 2k ... OR look for a "cheap" DH rig to compliment your AM rig ... there are some nice enough DH rigs on the cliassifieds for about 10k ... but if you need to have just 1 bike ... id say stay with AM

HAHAHA yeah dude i agree ... in a perfect world a bike for every discipline would be ace .. but if you on a budget just get a reverb for 2k ... OR look for a "cheap" DH rig to compliment your AM rig ... there are some nice enough DH rigs on the cliassifieds for about 10k ... but if you need to have just 1 bike ... id say stay with AM

I want all 3. DH, AM & my current XC machine. ALL with the g-dropper.

DH rig is total overkill for most riding up there. It's overkill for most riding in the Cape too. Unless you are focussed on DH, then I'd not waste the time on an 8 inch bike. It might look cool and the ladies might think you look like a champ on your 'big' bike, wait until you hit the first hill and see what a wimp you'll feel like. Single 38 ring up front, no granny gear, oversized everything.

Your best all round bike for up there would be something like a Meta 5.5 etc.

Oh and this is from experience btw. I've had a trailbike (5.5), an AM bike (6.5 inch) and a DH bike (8 inch). I ride the AM now as it climbs well too, and I live for the descents. Most versatile bike was the 5.5. It could do just about anything (within reason) but it easily handled 6 foot drops, could climb like a hardtail, was light.

Or, you could get the DH rig, and ride around the spruit like a tool.

Try look for a Light FR/Heavy AM bike. Something like the Giant Reign X. It runs 6.7" of rear travel, with 160mm up front. Coil suspension both ends.

I have taken mine down the Gillooly's track in GP which is super rough and steep, and the bike copes just fine. It also jumps well.

The nice thing is that at 15.5kg, it can still go uphill...and with Maestro at the back, it is really efficient.

Edited by nolipoli

DH rig is total overkill for most riding up there. It's overkill for most riding in the Cape too. Unless you are focussed on DH, then I'd not waste the time on an 8 inch bike. It might look cool and the ladies might think you look like a champ on your 'big' bike, wait until you hit the first hill and see what a wimp you'll feel like. Single 38 ring up front, no granny gear, oversized everything.

Your best all round bike for up there would be something like a Meta 5.5 etc.

Oh and this is from experience btw. I've had a trailbike (5.5), an AM bike (6.5 inch) and a DH bike (8 inch). I ride the AM now as it climbs well too, and I live for the descents. Most versatile bike was the 5.5. It could do just about anything (within reason) but it easily handled 6 foot drops, could climb like a hardtail, was light.

Or, you could get the DH rig, and ride around the spruit like a tool.

And you've just ruined all my dreams.

POOF!

There they go.

I was busy dreaming about my supersized Boxxer race & HIGH ROLLER endowed M9 FRO and how I'd look cooler than a stormtrooper while bombing down the DH runs in Tokai, going back to the car and then picking up my XC bike for some DJ action. But it seems as if you'd be koeler as ekke.

Sniff.

I do also have a Giant Reign with 6" and 150mm up front. It comes in under 13kgs, and would probably do everything too.

And you've just ruined all my dreams.

POOF!

There they go.

I was busy dreaming about my supersized Boxxer race & HIGH ROLLER endowed M9 FRO and how I'd look cooler than a stormtrooper while bombing down the DH runs in Tokai, going back to the car and then picking up my XC bike for some DJ action. But it seems as if you'd be koeler as ekke.

Sniff.

Sorry to ruin your fun ;) The OP was asking about Gauteng though?

The M9 is a great choice for any DH run, although my mate seems to walk a lot with his. Things I can easily ride on my 6.5 AM rig.

Look if you need to impress the ladies get the M9. I've seen them literally scream and throw panties like the you're the Beetles if you're on that Intense. Just don't expect to do that rig any justice if you're not hitting gnarly runs.

Sorry to ruin your fun ;) The OP was asking about Gauteng though?

The M9 is a great choice for any DH run, although my mate seems to walk a lot with his. Things I can easily ride on my 6.5 AM rig.

Look if you need to impress the ladies get the M9. I've seen them literally scream and throw panties like the you're the Beetles if you're on that Intense. Just don't expect to do that rig any justice if you're not hitting gnarly runs.

Would that mate of yours be the artist-formerly-known-as-capricorn-and-now-known-as-jarek-whyishesococky?

Ridden his FRO. First time on a DH bike, and I was a bit apprehensive at the feeling of sitting on a couch as I went down. But the way it handles those drops and jumps?! My oh my. I almost had a crisis.

Would that mate of yours be the artist-formerly-known-as-capricorn-and-now-known-as-jarek-whyishesococky?

Ridden his FRO. First time on a DH bike, and I was a bit apprehensive at the feeling of sitting on a couch as I went down. But the way it handles those drops and jumps?! My oh my. I almost had a crisis.

Nope, never met him. I've a friend waaaaay North who rides one.

As you felt, the M9 is an awesome bike. Maybe the best. Now unless you can lock out some of that juicy plushness, you'll be stuffed riding trails and uphills. But yeah, thats the point of the DH rig. Mop up the bumps like a bergie at the soup kitchen.

Nope, never met him. I've a friend waaaaay North who rides one.

As you felt, the M9 is an awesome bike. Maybe the best. Now unless you can lock out some of that juicy plushness, you'll be stuffed riding trails and uphills. But yeah, thats the point of the DH rig. Mop up the bumps like a bergie at the soup kitchen.

Yep. True dat. I;m thinking of getting an AM bike for my next ride. Maybe a Da Bomb Cherry Bomb with a Lyrik on the front. Looks pretty. ANd goes, by the sounds of things.