Pinarello FP3 (2010) or Trek Madone 5.9 (2011)

Dee1

I am really struggling to make a decision and sadly cannot test ride either bike - so it seems to come down to whether one is a fan of either brand and/or Campy Centaur vs Shimano DuraAce/Ultegra...

Any thoughts, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In engineering terms, there will be a big difference. Trek is one of the leading frame designers, they spend a lot of money on R&D, put huge effort into selecting their materials, and if I am not mistaken they build their own bikes in the USA. They also offer a lifetime warranty.

The Pinarello is not even close to Trek in terms of engineering. The Trek will be lighter, have better ride comfort and better stiffness to mass ratio. Modern Pinarellos carry a hefty premium on the name (read: rip-off), and lately seems to focus on selling heavy frames. If the Dogma frameset weighs in at 1200 grams or more, what will the FP3 be - 1400g ? Why pay so much for a Chinese frame with a couple of Italian curves added?

Christie, although relatively few and far between, your comments are always spot on. Well said. Pinarellos stopped being Pinarellos a very long time ago. And what's with those ugly lumpy curvy bits, anyway?

Bottom of the range Pinarello vs. high end Trek?

No contest. (well for me anyway)

Dont be too limited by either brand.

Rather pick a bike with geometry that suits you best.

When you are spending this kind of money, its worth spending a bit more and get measured and set up properly.

Edited by splat

Bottom of the range Pinarello vs. high end Trek?

No contest. (well for me anyway)

+1, take the Pinarello.

I'm all for authentic Italian bike brands, which is why I think you should go for the Trek :-) In that price range I would also consider a Giant.

Thanks Guys

Best I cancel the Pin order - it was at a great price, though = slightly cheaper than the Trek - pity the Trek colouring isn't that sexy ;-)

As Tankman often says on these forums - buy the bike that is going to make you happiest to get up and go ride it. If the Pinarello looks great why not go for it? I doubt the level of engineering is going to make that much of a difference unless you are riding the pro-circuit. In which case you would be riding the Dogma :D

Look is a very good buy and also the Colnago M10,there are so many bikes out there.

PM MrLook i am sure he can give you a good deal. ;)

In engineering terms, there will be a big difference. Trek is one of the leading frame designers, they spend a lot of money on R&D, put huge effort into selecting their materials, and if I am not mistaken they build their own bikes in the USA. They also offer a lifetime warranty.

The Pinarello is not even close to Trek in terms of engineering. The Trek will be lighter, have better ride comfort and better stiffness to mass ratio. Modern Pinarellos carry a hefty premium on the name (read: rip-off), and lately seems to focus on selling heavy frames. If the Dogma frameset weighs in at 1200 grams or more, what will the FP3 be - 1400g ? Why pay so much for a Chinese frame with a couple of Italian curves added?

Jees, you sound like an American sales brochure! Just because one America won a couple of tours on the bike and bought fame to the brand, doesnt make it the leader. (suppose that is the only thing I have against Trek, its American!)

Actually the FP3 is lighter than the Dogma, weighing in at 1100gr. The Dogma is heavier due to the asymmetrical stiffness added in the necessary places.

Now for some sales talk:

"The FP3 is based on the Prince shape and preserves the compactness and harmonious lines that decreed the success of its predecessor. FP3 mounts the Onda™ FPK fork. The monocoque frame is made of 30HM12K carbon, with Onda™ FPK rear monostay, asymmetric rear forks, and our tried and true Most® Croxover oversize bottom bracket. In the 54 size it weighs only 1100 grams. It’s available for 2011 with the Replica colour schemes of our Teams, all hand-painted, and exclusive Most® components."