Training wheelset - R1500 - R3500

Rick

Hi guys

Need some advice on a training wheelset. I have a set of Dura-Ace 7850-CL50 which I will use for racing. They are great for all-purpose, but I just want to save the braking surface - living in cape town takes it's toll with all the mountains.

I want to buy a set of cheap (ish) training wheels. I weigh 95kg so I want something that's strong and stiff but I don't care about weight necessarily. I just want something that I can ride on anything without worrying.

I'd like to spend between 1500 and 3500 (CWC or CRC/WIggle etc prices).

I have looked at Fulcrum 5's, Shimano RS-30, ultegra 6700 (bit more expensive).

Does anyone have any strong oppinions about a particular wheel in this range?

Shot

Consider getting some 32 spoke custom built wheels. They may be slightly above your price range but, if built properly, they will be close to indestructible.

I bought a set of those ultegra wheels. I managed to break a spoke and the freehub within a few months. :thumbdown: When a spoke goes you are totally stuck. The entire rim kinda goes into a wobble and you need to phone a friend to collect you. As for the freehub I have no idea how this breaks happened to me in the middle of the last dome2dome race a real bummer if you are far from home.

Thanks seeker, that's good to know.

I've heard all good things about the aksiums, so i'll have another look at then.

Edman, I've heard that advice quite a bit and I know it's the right thing to do, but frankly I just couldn't be bothered :/ One day I'll go down that road, but right now i just want to point, click, ride, forget about it. At this price, if they break, they break. I have a truing stand and I don't mind tweaking them now and again.

Edited by prisma

I bought a set of 105 wheels from CWC awhile back. I urgently needed wheels for a race and did not have time to get some made up. As Edman suggests I would prefer 32 spokes and these would not have been my first choice but I must say I have been really impressed. After 6 months of 300km a week they still true and stiff and I still haven't got round to building my new ones yet. I do only weigh 70kg so I can't say how they would cope with more weight.

Edman, I've heard that advice quite a bit and I know it's the right thing to do, but frankly I just couldn't be bothered :/ One day I'll go down that road, but right now i just want to point, click, ride, forget about it.

Consider giving Johan Bornman (here on the hub and www.yellowsaddle.co.za) a shout. He'll build the wheel and I think can help source all the components. NOt quite click and forget, but close.

I've got a set of 32 spoke Mavic Open Pros that he built for me. I broke a spoke on the rear wheel and was still able to ride the 50km back home. He replaced the spoke and retrued the wheel

for free under his guarantee.

Of the factory wheels you mentioned, I'd go for the Fulcrums (or the Campag Zondas/Ventos which are basically the same thing). I had a set of Scirrocos (same as Racing 3s) and they held up very well. I only got rid of them because I got a power meter. Of course, breaking a spoke on one of these is likely to be ride ending.

Edited by Edman

I've been running entry level Eastons for a while (at 90kg's plus) - stiff as hell and no hassles in a couple of years! - definitely good value for money... just not so sure of the reliability of the lighter models - remember some comments a while back?

Consider getting some 32 spoke custom built wheels. They may be slightly above your price range but, if built properly, they will be close to indestructible.

I'm training on a 28H handbuilt set that is 10 years old. They are as true as the day they were built.

have a look at the solomons winter sale as well, I just had a lookie, and there are some good wheels there.

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to go with the RS-30. I'm sure they will be ok for a while. Would like to have a crack at building my own some time so maybe I'll do one of Johan's courses and then make that a side hobby for the long term.

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to go with the RS-30. I'm sure they will be ok for a while. Would like to have a crack at building my own some time so maybe I'll do one of Johan's courses and then make that a side hobby for the long term.

I have a set of giant wheels which I can let go for 1200 with shimano free body.

Would work and are strong. Came with my road bike but only use my carbon wheels.

072 155 26 06

No tires etc.

I have a set of giant wheels which I can let go for 1200 with shimano free body.

Would work and are strong. Came with my road bike but only use my carbon wheels.

072 155 26 06

No tires etc.

Thanks for the offer, but i have ordered the wheels already.